Cliff Bar.
Event warmup:

Nothing special.
Swim
  • 14m 20s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Also finished 38/336 (overall) for swim. While I placed well, I wasn't real pleased with my time...and I think my swim time was slow in relation to my other tri's. Never real found any open water. Too often I had to shorten my stroke and navigate around swimmers. I brought the last 200 home strong as I got some separation, but when the swim's only 1/2 mile...the race ends fast.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe start the swim on the fringe. My forte is endurance, NOT sprinting (relatively speaking), so I usually don't choose to take the first 100 out hard...maybe I should've considering the short distance. Also, I need to be more cognizant of where the bouys are. When the horn sounded to start the race, I charged into the water without really looking where I was headed. Had to do several jump strokes to find the first bouy. Luckily I was online.
Transition 1
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

Had issues getting my helmet on. Sheesh. It always goes on smoothly when I practice!

I choose NOT to throw on biker shorts over my speedo. Instead, I pulled on my running shorts. Arse got kind of sore for the last half of the bike. =)
Bike
  • 47m 57s
  • 16 miles
  • 20.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Whoohoo! First time I maintained 20mph average! So happy. Know why? Because I had a new bike WITH aero bars. Wow. What a difference. Previous high MPH was 18.4. This was also the first time I felt like I was "racing". For the second half of the bike me and two other guys traded off positions...I took the lead going up hills, only to surrender it on the straight-ways. Thrilling. Also was able to hold onto my swim lead longer. Just not long enough.

I did have a problem with gearing. I couldn't smoothly shift into the big gear as the chain kept on popping; and fearing I'd get too much slack in it...I refrained from shifting into it. Bummer. I can't imagine how fast I could've gone if it were working properly. 21MPH? 22MHP? We'll see next year, I guess.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Good transition for me. Not having to shed my biker shorts made for a faster transition time.
Run
  • 39m 20s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Whoohoo! Another PR. First time at a race that I averaged under a 8 minute mile! And the last two miles of the race were trail! Felt strong coming off the bike...pulled the first mile at 8:11, second at 7:50, third at 7:42! Then the trails came. I was a bit ticked about this because I felt I had another gear in me and was going to really let it fly for the final two miles. I took the trails strong, though. Lucky for me they were very well groomed...and the grade didn't change much. Trails did have many twists and turns, though.

Once I hit the trails I didn't see anyone. Just me running through a forest. Weird. I think if the there were no trails I could've pulled a 7:30 pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Grr...yogurt. Post race food was rather poor. Also had bananas.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ummm...the competition? If I knew ahead of time that I'd post top 5 swim time for my age, would average over 20MPH on the bike, and average under 8 minute miles, then I would say I would be near a top ten finish for my age...instead I finished 21/34. That bummed me out a bit, but everytime I thought of my bike and run splits...it brought a smile back to my face.

My swim time. I think I could've gone faster. Although that wouldn't have changed my position drastically.

Event comments:

A very well run race. Plenty of volunteers. Waterloo park was a very scenic place. The run and bike courses were mostly flat, yielding fast times...MANY spectators...they lined the last 50 yds of the run and urged the runners home. Only gripe was the food tent.

Last updated: 2004-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:20 | 880 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/336
Performance: Below average
Suit: Speedo!
Course: Rectanglish.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:47
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:57 | 16 miles | 20.02 mile/hr
Overall: 24/336
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: out and back, with very few hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:39:20 | 05 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Overall: 20/336
Performance: Good
Course: First 3 miles was road. Last two miles was trail. There were water stations for every mile for the first 3.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-08-11 10:45 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
Subject: Waterloo Tri

2004-08-12 8:38 AM
in reply to: #46677

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
Subject: RE: Waterloo Tri
awesome job...5 miles is a long time to hold under eight minute miles...good pacing...you are right, with those splits I would think for sure top ten in age group...one of the things that sucks with our age group though...by far the most competitive... at Dexter ann-arbor this year, finished 800 of about 2000 runners, but bottom third of age group...and I thought I was moving!!...guess we either train harder, or plan our revenge when we are in the 50-54 age group...I don't have any patience, so I guess it's back to the treadmill, cycle trainer and pool this winter...

:-)

d
was waterloo a 'cooltri' event...how was the organization...
2004-08-12 3:04 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
50-54 age group comment...hillarious. And you're damn right. Our age group is LOADED. Also, all the big names were out for this event (I think it was the only tri in Michigan, that weekend).

The tenth place finisher went 1:37. I cling to the thought that there's ample room for improvement on the bike...and I should get relatively faster without much effort - similar to you in the swim - I just have to have the discipline to go out and log the miles.

It was a Cooltri event. I've done three Cooltri events...they're much better run than 3D.
2004-08-12 3:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
I picked up a fluid trainer, last winter...great for winter...just set it up in front of the tv and put a movie on...don't even know you are ridin...great for aerobic base...also have a couple of "spinervals' DVD's, for more focused training...have an hour and a half one that is a killer...great thing about the trainer is that you get to ride your own bike...can increase the resistance as well, so you don't put extra wear and tear on your own gears...worth the money...great way to put bike miles on, in the winter...while I am in the pool trying to match your swim splits!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Waterloo Tri Rss Feed