Eliphino Race Productions (ERP)
35F / 2C
Overcast
Total Time = 04m 52s
Overall Rank = 2/7
Age Group = Almost39Dammit!
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Milling around, enjoying wild game, chocolate-covered cookie dough, a corrupt/fixed game of Cranium, and racy talk about people's private lives.
Event warmup:

Made sure I hydrated well with plenty o' Spaten, some of it not my own.
Run
  • 04m 52s
  • 0.5 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a great run! I started out a little slow, and had to help a fellow racer whose bottle had fallen out of his hydration belt. Kept up the slow pace to the first turn. Stayed with the same pace at the second turn. Made a couple course corrections on the back stretch to avoid parked cars and curious loolie loolies who said something about jumping into a hot tub together. Placed the image as far from my mind as possible and regained focus on the task at hand. Made the third turn and could see the final turn just up ahead, so I increased my pace oh so slightly. After the final turn I could see the finish line! The final stretch was slightly uphill so I increased my run cadence and decreased my stride length. By the time I was halfway up the hill my hydration plan was starting to come back to haunt me. (note to self: running and highly voluminous carbonated drinks may not go together) I toughed it out for the next 10 feet and crossed the finish line knowing that I had done my best on the first race of 2007!
What would you do differently?:

I don't think I would do anything differently. Except maybe improve my hydration plan.
Post race
Warm down:

Basked in the glow of a fellow racer's strobe headlamp.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stupid shoes.

Event comments:

I rated this race a "4" only because the jockstrappers were limited as to their ability to hand out refreshments along the race course. Hopefully the race director will rectify this problem for next year's race.

This was a good race. A fun race. A race in which some, nay! dare I say all, racers proved their mettle as true afficionados of the sport. Racers who, upon leaving caution behind, dared to test the limits of gastrointestinal flexion. These people, no - athletes (for they are, in the truest, most pure sense of the word), showed the utmost gastrointestinal fortitude against the most daunting of odds to come together for the calling to which they were summoned by their deepest, darkest, inner longings to test their vigor, stamina, their very own souls to....wait, I forgot where I was going with that.

I'm just proud to have been a part of this inaugural race, and hopefully with a little more grit and determination (not to mention a little more hydration) I WILL win this event next year!

Last updated: 2007-01-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:04:52 | 00.5 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 2/7
Performance: Good
HR was pretty high for such a short race.
Course: A winding course through the streets of Andyshannonville. Basically a reverse Nascar layout with a few off-course jaunts to avoid drunken neighbors.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %+1.5
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-01-01 10:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen
Subject: Drunk as a Skunk Half-Miler

2007-01-02 1:03 PM
in reply to: #638749

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Drunk as a Skunk Half-Miler
Very nice RR!  I almost shed a tear there!
2007-01-02 1:09 PM
in reply to: #638749

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Drunk as a Skunk Half-Miler
Help me out here.

So, you get drunk and go run half a mile? Dang. Sorry I missed it.

Great job on the... uuummmm... race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Drunk as a Skunk Half-Miler Rss Feed