3 Disciplines
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 11s
Overall Rank = 7/7
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got to the site nice and early. Had a light breakfast. Did a lot of drooling over the cool bikes in the transition area.
Event warmup:

Some light jogging to work out the nerves.
Swim
  • 16m 27s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

For my first ever open water swim and first time swimming in my wetsuit I thought it went well. The first 250 meters was the hardest. Alot of people out there go around and follow. The water was cool and crystal clear so after the first bouy I was able to find my stroke I practiced and grind out the rest of the swim.

Once I rounded the last bouy and could see the shore, I could really dig in and go for it. I was a little groggy when I got to the shallows and stood up. But once I did that I knew I was going to finish the rest of the race, so that was the biggest relief.
What would you do differently?:

Trust my stroke and know that the training will pay off ina good performance. I am not a fast swimmer, so I need to not expect too much.
Transition 1
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

Wetsuit stuck on arms so I could not get it down to my waist until I was actually at my bike. Also I took my time to get my sences before running out with the bike since this was the first time I ever went right from swim to bike. I did not want to head out with my head still groggy from the swim.

Body glide so I can really get the wetsuit off on the way to T1. Go without socks, and no bike gloves.
Bike
  • 54m 34s
  • 18 miles
  • 19.79 mile/hr
Comments:

Took me a second to mount because this was only my second ride with the clipless pedals and I had trouble clipping in the right foot. Had to then fumble with my gloves which I had fastened to the top tube. Once I got going though...I passed a TON of people which help me push my pace. (I guess that is an advantage of being a slow swimmer.) I love this ride, very flat, very scenic and super fast.

I will know the clipless pedals better nad be more comfortable with them. NO glove shoudl not effect the ride and help me get up to speed. Even though I was slowest of my age group I thought I went pretty fast for me and that is all that matters.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Did really well on this transition by getting the bike shoes off and running shoes on. The Yanks laces helpped a lot. I then just grabbed my hat and number and ran out with then in hand to put them on once on the course. One slight problem. I almost ran out the wrong end of the transition area so I then had to run back across the whole transition area to the correct exit. Live and learn.

Remind myself of which way to exit. That did not even cross my mind at all even while setting up in the morning. Now I know I guess.
Run
  • 26m 34s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 19s  min/km
Comments:

Again I was the slowest, but I didn't care. This 5K was tough, but I was so happy to finish.

Train for speed. Next year for that. This year was about finishing.
Post race
Warm down:

Cool wet towel the the volenteer gave us and the finish line was heavenly. Soem snacks and watched for everyone else to finish and cheered on the wife.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am still slow. I will be better next year. I am happy all in all for my first ever tri.

Event comments:

Not much to compare it too, but all in all it seemed well done. I know this was the first time they ran an even in this location so hopefully they learned some too. Being on a Sunday morning close to a residental area and a chruch kept the music and comment to a minimum.

Last updated: 2004-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:27 | 800 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/7
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Triangle in the lake next to ferry departure point.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:54:34 | 18 miles | 19.79 mile/hr
Overall: 7/7
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Super flat and fast course. Open road so had to be mindful of traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:34 | 05 kms | 05m 19s  min/km
Overall: 7/7
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat out and back though residental area.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-08-12 7:52 PM

User image

Olive Branch
Subject: Mackinaw Multi-Sport Mix

2004-08-12 9:33 PM
in reply to: #47134

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: Mackinaw Multi-Sport Mix
Great race Ken - you boogied on the bike!!! Congrats on your first Tri.

Gary
2004-08-12 9:35 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
You might have been the slowest in your group, but you sure did post some good times, ESPECIALLY for being a first timer! Congrats!

Keep in mind that the 30-34 age group is the most competitive.

1:53 per hundred swim pace...high 19mph bike...8:30 per mile run...great splits. Great balance.

So how exactly did the swim go? Did you actually swim under the bridge? Did the course follow the coastline?

Hope to see you on the circuit next year. Michigan has events almost every week...

2004-08-13 1:37 PM
in reply to: #47156

User image

Olive Branch
The swim did not go under the bridge but was really close to it. The bike and run both went under the beginning of the bridge twice each.

Thanks for the encouragement! I am looking forward to doing more races next season.
2004-08-13 2:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
Great job...wanted to do this one, after being in the UP fo Keweenaw...but wife vetoed (as she often does...otherwise would race 30x a year)...tough swim in that lake...I will keep this in mind, as I head to Lansing

"Trust my stroke and know that the training will pay off in a good performance. I am not a fast swimmer, so I need to not expect too much." I am just going to keep repeating that to myself, as I swim...thanks

One tip on the bike...don't have to worry about clipping in if you put shoes on bike, before feet in shoes...put them in the clips pre-race, then just run out of T1 barefoot, pedal on tops of shoes until you get some speed up (enough to hold you up), then reach down and put feet in shoes...away you go...do the same coming in, and you don't have to mess with logjam at T2 either...just hop off bike and you're done...

great job again..and great 5K time after bike...

d
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mackinaw Multi-Sport Mix Rss Feed