General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hotels in San Francisco for a tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-07 4:29 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Subject: Hotels in San Francisco for a tri
I'm not sure this is the right place for this thread, but . . .

I'll be doing the Escape from Alcatraz triathlon in June and I've never been to San Francisco. I haven't had much luck with the visitor's bureau so far. I'm currently researching on-line, but I'm looking for suggestions about hotels in the Fisherman's Wharf area that people have had good luck with. My dad also doesn't do well walking long distances so something on good public transportation routes or close to race activities (if anyone is familiar enough with the event to speak to that) would be awesome. Any info is welcome. Thanks.

2007-02-07 5:00 PM
in reply to: #683271

User image

Master
Northern California
Subject: RE: Hotels in San Francisco for a tri

kmarzano - 2007-02-07 2:29 PM I'm not sure this is the right place for this thread, but . . . I'll be doing the Escape from Alcatraz triathlon in June and I've never been to San Francisco. I haven't had much luck with the visitor's bureau so far. I'm currently researching on-line, but I'm looking for suggestions about hotels in the Fisherman's Wharf area that people have had good luck with. My dad also doesn't do well walking long distances so something on good public transportation routes or close to race activities (if anyone is familiar enough with the event to speak to that) would be awesome. Any info is welcome. Thanks.

Well, I live in the Marina (5 mins from the transition for EfA) and can tell you that the walk from a Fisherman's Wharf Hotel is 20+ mins (and more expensive). Although there is a Holiday Inn and Express there (among others).

Here is a google search for Lombard St. Hotels - which would be a 10 minute walk to the race. I walk past most of them daily and all seem pretty clean and safe.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=lombard+hotels+%2B+sf&btnG=Google+Search 

2007-02-07 5:09 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

I didn't know you were IN SF Cochese... cool.

I haven't stayed but in two different hotels, and both were sponsored by work, and both were in Union Square.

Everything in SF is on public transit, for the most part.  And taxis are easy-enough to come by pretty much anytime (you can call ahead and have them meet you on the street if they aren't readily available in front of your hotel for some reason).

One thing I have noticed about hotel room, as well as apartments, etc., they are much smaller than you expect.  Nicely furnished, yes.  But still small.  And the cable cars and buses and people make noise all night, so if that's a concern, bring ear plugs. 

2007-02-07 5:21 PM
in reply to: #683300

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
coachese - 2007-02-07 5:00 PM

Well, I live in the Marina (5 mins from the transition for EfA) and can tell you that the walk from a Fisherman's Wharf Hotel is 20+ mins (and more expensive). Although there is a Holiday Inn and Express there (among others).

Here is a google search for Lombard St. Hotels - which would be a 10 minute walk to the race. I walk past most of them daily and all seem pretty clean and safe.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=lombard+hotels+%2B+sf&btnG=Google+Search 

I'm glad to find this out. Before I saw this reply I had found one on the corner of Lombard and Van Ness called the Franciso Bay Inn and made reservations there. I also saw it listed on a couple of the websites from the google search you attached. I feel comfortable with it now based on what you said. So unless one of you lets me know it's too far away, I'll stick with that one.

Thank you for the quick reply and great information! Are you doing the race coachese?

Edited by kmarzano 2007-02-07 5:22 PM
2007-02-07 6:18 PM

User image

Expert
Toronto

I've been to San Fran many times. Great great city. I love it there. I've only stayed at Fisherman's Warf once at the Argonaut Hotel. It's in a really great location and it's awesome. My wife and I stayed there 3 years ago and to this day she still talks about how comfy the bed was. It really is a nice place.

http://www.argonauthotel.com/

2007-02-07 10:42 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I stayed at "Americas Best Inn" on Lombard, down by Crissy field, about as close as you can get to the transition area in a hotel. It was perfect. it's out of the way, but with the public transportation, you can get anywhere you need to go. Race day morning, I walked to the transition area while others were trying to get rides, take busses, taxis, etc.

2007-02-07 11:12 PM
in reply to: #683624

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

I'm glad to find this out. Before I saw this reply I had found one on the corner of Lombard and Van Ness called the Franciso Bay Inn and made reservations there. I also saw it listed on a couple of the websites from the google search you attached. I feel comfortable with it now based on what you said. So unless one of you lets me know it's too far away, I'll stick with that one.

You should be fine here.  That's only a matter of blocks from where you need to be.

I stayed at "Americas Best Inn" on Lombard, down by Crissy field, about as close as you can get to the transition area in a hotel. It was perfect. it's out of the way, but with the public transportation, you can get anywhere you need to go. Race day morning, I walked to the transition area while others were trying to get rides, take busses, taxis, etc.

Yep, that's pretty close.  My bus goes right by there every morning and every afternoon. 

Plus, at either of these locations, you'll be very near restaurants, shopping, etc.  And it will be easy to get on a bus or grab a taxi to take you to see other spots in the city.

Plus, Sports Basement is close!   

2007-02-08 12:11 AM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
try the Fort Mason Hostel. it's about $75 for a private room and a stone's throw away from Fisherman's wharf. sorry, don't have a link right now.

2007-02-08 12:16 AM

User image

I've stayed at both the Franciso Bay Inn and the Star Motel. Both are within walking distance of the wharf and reasonably priced for SF.
2007-02-08 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Wow. Thanks for all the great information everyone. I reserved Francisco Inn with the idea that I would hope to get better info from people here and if I couldn't find anything later, at least I would have SOMETHING. But after all the posts here I'm feeling good about the one I chose and I'm hoping this thread will be useful to someone else coming into town for this race as well.

Thanks again.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hotels in San Francisco for a tri Rss Feed