Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » Another unreasonable Training Log request Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-19 9:29 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: Another unreasonable Training Log request
Hi Ron,
The list of complicated, expensive graphing features requested doesn't seem quite long enough, so I though I'd add one.

Basically, it's a request to graph weight using exponentially smoothed moving averages. It can be an invaluable tool for people who are slaves to the scale, and make the scale useful to those who don't trust it. The method also has pretty good appeal to those of us with an analytical, empirical bent due to it's moderately high nerd factor. The one I use was created by the founder of AutoDesk.

The following is from a recent thread regarding weight and the scale and contains the rationale for the use of this method:

• The little daily or even weekly changes that signify a trend usually aren't noticable using a mirror. The scale can be useful for actually measuring trends and spotting them before they're visible in the mirror so you can take action before you've gained or lost too much too soon.

I weigh myself daily BUT I don't pay attention to daily changes. I get on the scale every morning after I get up but before I eat, put the weight into a spreadsheet that then calculates the average of the last 20 days which is my adjusted "real" weight. Do this for a few weeks and the little daily differences based on what you ate or drank the night before are accounted for and averaged out. It's a very reliable way to analyze trends. It's called exponentially smoothed moving averages.

If you're interested, the spreadsheet I use can be found here. I also recommend the on-line book "The Hacker's Diet" that the spreadsheet accompanies. If you like The Triathlete's Bible, you'll love this book.

2004-08-19 12:04 PM
    in reply to: #50260

User image

Champion
    Gold member
    Subject: RE: Another unreasonable Training Log request

interesting...i will download it later and check out the formulas...it could be a easy addition and we could graph both real data and the smoothed data...

i am noticing that in the weight/%bf/restingHR, due to the axis's - the data doesnt get spread enough to spot trends...may have to just make 3 separate graphs.

although, if you graph weekly data over 3 months - weight for example, they are averaged.

i will see what could be done...

2004-08-19 12:48 PM
    in reply to: #50335

User image

Champion
    Fairport, NY
    Subject: RE: Another unreasonable Training Log request

Ron - 2004-08-19 12:04 PM

we could graph both real data and the smoothed data...

This is what the SS does. It's very useful to see them both on the same graph, the daily data points jumping all over the place, while the smoothed data showing actual trends.

although, if you graph weekly data over 3 months - weight for example, they are averaged.

true, but there's no smoothing or weighting, so it's not quite as accurate

i will see what could be done...

Thanks. I think I speak for the entire BT community when I say "You are the man!".
    New Thread
    Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » Another unreasonable Training Log request Rss Feed