General Discussion Triathlon Talk » any advice welcome Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-23 9:08 PM

User image

New user

pa
Subject: any advice welcome
I need to lose about 25 pounds. I have definite excess weight issues. I don't mind putting on the lean muscle weight. What advice could you give me about nutrition and training? I am currently training for a couch-to-sprint tri for next year -- today was my first day .yay! I have never swam a whole lap-- it was exhilierating and tiring...I can't IMAGINE doing a mile...gulp.

2004-08-23 11:56 PM
in reply to: #52152

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: any advice welcome
Welcome! Sounds familiar. I'm down about 25 pounds, and used the swim-focused couch to sprint training plan to go from newbie runner to finishing a sprint tri a few weeks ago. I can give these tips:

- Keep it up. Don't let temporary setbacks stop you
- The weight will come down when it comes down. Focus on the training and the rest will happen.
- Starving yourself and tri-training are not compatible. To build muscle, you've got to eat.
- You may see a difference in the mirror before you see it on a scale. This is way cool!
- Follow the training plan as closely as you can. It's well thought out. When I vary from it, my performance reflects it.
- Use this web site, particularly the training logs.
- Tell people you're training for a triathlon. This has gotten me out of bed a couple of mornings.
- "Make incremental changes" applies not only to your training volume, but to pretty much any behavioral change. If you try to completely change your diet all at once, it probably won't change at all in the long run.
- Have fun.
2004-09-03 4:41 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Learn as much as you can about nutrition and building a healthy diet and lifestyle.

I highly recommend this book: Dr Bob Arnot's Revolutionary Weight Control.
http://www.epinions.com/Dr_Bob_Arnot_s_Revolutionary_Weight_Control...

I learned so much about how food affects the body and mind and how to eat for how I want to feel, rather than eat for how I already feel.

I don't always practice it though, which can be seen in the extra 20+ pounds I'm still carting around with me.

Congrats on taking the first steps to becoming a triathlete!

I'm wondering if there's much support on this site for some kind of weight loss challenge. If you'd be interested, send me a PM.

Karen
2004-09-05 11:25 AM

Regular
north end of vancouver island, BC, Canada
Hi Naomi....
I have lost 55 pounds over the past 2 years, and I still have another 15-20 to go, and I've just been with tri training since Feb this year. I have never been a "diet" follower as I tend to stray off a set plan as soon as I start it. Instead, I opted for a healthy way of eating where I gradually worked on controlling fat, white starchy intake-white flour, sugar, pasta, etc. and increasing good carbs like fruits and vegs,plus eating low fat proteins like chicken and fish. My workouts have been geared to creating a good aerobic base in all three sports, which means slowly increasing the amount of time I spend doing each one. I have done 2 sprints tris this summer and will do my last one in October. I suffered from depression last winter and decided tri training would be my anti-depressant of choice before going on the drugs. It has worked and I feel like a new woman, not to mention I look like a new woman. I just bought an entire fall/winter wardrobe in size 11-12, I used to be a 20-22.
Since you are just starting out, read as much as you can and try to train every day, except leave 1 or 2 rest days per week. Don't try to over do the physical parts as that can lead to injury. Go slow and steady and the weight will come off and you will get in shape. Add some weight training too, it will help with strength, muscle tone and weight loss. I've had men I don't even know comment on my biceps. LOL!!! My husband has even quit smoking and lost weight to try to keep up with the new me!!! It is amazing the transformation that comes about when new doors are opened.
Good luck with your training. This is a great site with lots of very knowledgeable people.

Darlene
2004-09-05 9:28 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
455halfim - 2004-09-05 5:28 PM

If I had 25 lbs to lose, I would do this:
-stop eatting snack food altogether
-stop drinking soda or any artificially flavored juices
-drink a lot of water
-drink a lot of SKIM milk
-eat only the following: chicken breast, tuna, cheese, egg noodles, cliff bars (prior to and during workouts)
-most important - burn more calories than I take in
-workout at least two hours per day-1 hour min of intense cardio
-avoid hanging out with fat/lazy people because they try to make those around them fat/lazy
That is what I would do. If I really had 25 pounds to lose, it would be gone in 30 days or less (and it would stay off because fat is nasty).
TG

Some good advice there. Especially regarding lean proteins and low-fat. I think making good choices when it comes to meals and snacks are the key.

And I see what you're trying to say about not hanging around with people who will try to sabotage improvements. Of course, some people happen to be married to "fat/lazy" people, so avoiding them would be difficult. But that's where mental discipline comes in.

But for many people, it is just unrealistic to workout for two hours a day. I'm going to school full time, with a full load of classes that require reading several hundred pages a week and writing papers. Plus, I'm still working three days a week. Other people have families and other commitments as well.

And your statement that you'd lose 25 pounds in a month made me laugh out loud. If you honestly believe that one could lose that amount of fat in a month, then you need to do some homework. One pound of fat is 3500 calories. To lose 25 pounds of fat would mean to burn 87,500 calories more than you consume, in one month. Anyone who claims to have lost more than 2-3 pounds a week (assuming they are of average height and not terribly overweight) would mean that they also lost muscle and water weight. Water weight loss isn't real weight loss. And muscle loss is never a good thing. Especially for athletes.

The "healthy" weight loss goal would be to lose 1-2 pounds a week, through a combination of diet and exercise. And the best way to maintain that weight loss for life is to maintain a healthy lifestyle which includes exercise.

2004-09-05 10:14 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
455halfim - 2004-09-05 7:11 PM

not true, on several of the above points.
Two hours a day is easy to find. Wake up earlier and go to bed later. I rarely sleep more than 5 hours a night, I have a full time job, I am married (with a pregnant wife) and I read more than 100 pages a day (professional type reading -manuals, government docs, ect). I guarentee that it is possible to lose 25 pounds in ONE (1) month and keep it off, IF you have discipline. I went from 225 to 179 in 18 months, and I lost 30 of those pounds in the first month. The key is discipline! Stick to the foods/drinks that I mentioned above and you will be fine. Skim milk is a great dieting tool. Drink it whenever you are hungry and are not supposed to be eating; it tricks your stomach into being full. Right now, I am 179 pounds and 4% BF. On the side, I am a personal trainer. I have an unorthodox training style, but I always make my clients happy. If you want to lose weight, listen to what I said and remember: DISCIPLINE.

go get 'em fatty!!!

TG

I'm glad you're able to function on 5 hours of sleep. Some people need more sleep. It does not mean they are lazy. As for my reading, I cannot do that when I'm at work, since it is homework reading. As for disclipline, I agree with you. It takes a lot of discipline to train for a triathlon.

As for your final statement, "go get 'em fatty!!!" -- That says it all. I will no longer be paying any attention to what you have to say. You have purposely said something hurtful and against the "rules" of this forum. I have been patient with you and your posts, always giving you the benefit of the doubt. But, no more. I do believe your days here are numbered. Good riddance.

Edited by madkat 2004-09-05 10:19 PM

2004-09-05 10:23 PM

just for the record, I don't read at work either. I read to prepare for the next day at work. Five hours is a long night of shut eye for me. I used to sleep 8-10 hours like you. But by gradually reducing my sleep I am now able to get away with as little as 3 hours at night and a couple of short naps in the day.
TG
2004-09-06 3:36 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
I'm still serious about starting a "weight loss challenge" if any of you are interested.
2004-09-06 9:49 PM

Regular
north end of vancouver island, BC, Canada
Hey Karen, I'm in!!! I've got another 20 or so pounds to lose. What are the parameters of this challenge????
Sounds like you've done some thinking on it....give us the details....maybe start a new thread on it!!!

Darlene
2004-09-06 9:58 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » any advice welcome Rss Feed