General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coxa Valga??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-01 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
Subject: Coxa Valga???
Here's the story: my son, Thomas, age 6 went to the Baylor urology who ordered an x-xay of his intestinal/spine area (bed wetting issue). From that x-ray the radiologist wrote in his report that Thomas has bi-lateral internally rotated hips (the degree was listed as 45) and "indicating possible underlying neuromuscular disorder" - they read me the report. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!!! since we saw urology they had no clue as to what to make of this and referred us over to pediatric orthopedics. A google search only pulls up what it is - interanlly rotated hips and pre-disposes one to osteoarthitis.

thomas has severe apraxia of speech which is a neuro disorder but something he has worked very hard to overcome - he's about 75% "cured".

Going into doctor's appointments I like to be a) somewhat educated on reason why I am there and 2) emotionally prepared for any possible bad news (I do not take any bad news with kids well - i'm very emotional - hence why I prepare myself for worst case scenorios w/o kids around).

thomas is sympton free - but maybe not since we dont' know what the symptoms are - so 1) what are the symptoms and 2) how is such a condition treated now and in the future?

His pediatrician doesn't want to really comment other then to say most kids "outgrow" coxa valga by age 4... Also insurance nurse hot with insurance couldn't pull anything up on coxa valga...

Any docs want to chime in here

thanks, cathleen

2007-03-01 11:01 PM
in reply to: #707971

User image

Master
Minnesota
Subject: RE: Coxa Valga???
I'm not a doctor - but I'm an athletic trainer. Coxa valga is not something to worry about if it is not symptomatic. It has nothing to do with his bed wetting issue. It is a label for his body structure. Some people have coxa valga, which causes the knees to bow outward - also known as "bow-legged", which means when you stand with your feet together your knees don't touch. That's how my legs are and I've never had problems with my hips, back, or knees. Other people have coxa vara, which may cause them to be "knock-kneed". This structural labeling is common in the medical setting. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I hope this helps!
2007-03-02 8:46 AM
in reply to: #708538

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
norakraemer - 2007-03-01 11:01 PM

I'm not a doctor - but I'm an athletic trainer. Coxa valga is not something to worry about if it is not symptomatic. It has nothing to do with his bed wetting issue. It is a label for his body structure. Some people have coxa valga, which causes the knees to bow outward - also known as "bow-legged", which means when you stand with your feet together your knees don't touch. That's how my legs are and I've never had problems with my hips, back, or knees. Other people have coxa vara, which may cause them to be "knock-kneed". This structural labeling is common in the medical setting. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I hope this helps!

Thanks!

What would happen if he became sysmptomatic?
2007-03-02 9:11 AM
in reply to: #707971

User image

Master
Minnesota
He most likely won't ever have problems, even if he is active and plays sports as he grows up. it's quite normal for people to have coxa valga.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coxa Valga??? Rss Feed