DCBC
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 30s
Overall Rank = 22/84
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

It's nice when the race is local. Woke up and had a granola bar, water and coffee. Watched the Wiggles with my daughter.
Event warmup:

Not much. Easy 2 min run from my car to the transition area when I realized I forgot my cyclometer.
Absolutely perfect day for a race. Temps were in the mid 50's to start and warmed up to low 60's by the finish. Absolutely dead calm.
Run
  • 14m 26s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

The people that can take off fast did and a lot of people followed them. I knew what was coming and wondered what on God's green earth they were doing. It was either that or I was in a race with a lot of fast runners.
I guess it was a little of both, a few of the people coming back looked like they were on roller skates as they came by. I just ran what I thought was a decently fast pace but not enough to waste me early on. I knew the bike was going to be hilly and needed to save as much as I could for the 2nd run.
Oh what the hell am I saying, I ran comfortably fast but was pretty surprised by my time.
What would you do differently?:

Not a whole lot. It was a good run leg.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I think my transition times are included in my run times. Non-chipped race so I'm not sure. They both flowed pretty well.

NADA
Bike
  • 58m 22s
  • 20 miles
  • 20.56 mile/hr
Comments:

We exited the park and made 2 loops. The area around the park is pretty but also pretty hilly. Nothing longer than 3 minutes but just constant up and down. I rode this pretty well and passed a shitload of people on the bike. Maybe that blistering 1st run they did had a little to do with that? Only got passed by one person and he was on a relay team. I wasn't sure about my bike fitness since I've been trying to run more lately, but it seems to be good.

I reached a little deeper than I thought I would go but I was pleased with my ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I think my transition times are included in my run times. Non-chipped race so I'm not sure. They both flowed pretty well.
Peeled my arm warmers off for the 2nd run.

NADA
Run
  • 15m 24s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Well this one hurt. I knew I was in good shape by the number of bikes in the transition area and didn't want to give much of that up on the run. I pulled out my suitcase of courage and dug into my pain cave but I was definitely not dancing down the road. For some reason this gently rolling course had turned into a series of up and down walls for the second run. I was pretty much pegged the entire run and still got passed by 3-4 people. The finish was slightly downhill which helped me kick a little harder. It also helped that I saw the girl with the P3C, 999's, and custom painted aero helmet was about 20-30 seconds behind me. I made up my mind that I had to outrun her and pushed about as hard as my ablated heart would go. I'm sure she is a very nice lady and makes a fine pitcher of sweet tea, but she wasn't going to get past me. Then to add to that my wife and daughter were waiting right before the finish line with my daughter screaming "Go Daddy". That always makes my race no matter how I perform.

Uh, run a little faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and walked around with my wife and daughter. We walked on the boat dock and counted and named the colors of the paddle boats. Then we looked for bugs for a few minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've only been running for 15 months and realize that there are a whole lot of people that have been running much longer than that. I think running competitively fast is something that takes years of base or God given talent and I have neither of both. Duathlons seem to be heavily skewed for the runners and I just did my best to limit my losses.

They just published the results. I was 3rd in my AG. 1st to 3rd was separated by just 1:19. I think both of those guys passed me on the 2nd run, but there was no body marking so I didn't know they were in my AG. I don't think it would have mattered though since I was pretty much redlined the entire 2nd run.

Event comments:

I liked this race and it was much run much better than last year. I like hilly races though and seem to do OK in them.

Last updated: 2007-03-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:14:26 | 02 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/84
Performance: Good
HR Avg:168 Max: 180
Course: Slightly rolling, out and back inside the park
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:58:22 | 20 miles | 20.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/84
Performance: Good
HR Avg: 171 Max: 183
Wind: None
Course: 2 hilly ass loops. I liked the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good