United States
18F / -8C
Sunny
Total Time = 32h 51m 1s
Overall Rank = 110/132
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 12/16
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4:15 am. Showered, dressed in my fav black running tights, sports bra, underarmour, long-sleeve T. Packed my wind pants and Green sweatshirt to put on later.

Drove to Clare, 3 hours. Arrived about 2 min. to start of registration. Pre-registered, so that was easy. Stood around and chatted the first 40 min. inside as it was pretty cold outside. Digital temp said 12 degrees F.
Event warmup:

I did some basic stretching. Couldn't walk fast to warm up, too many people inside, didn't want to go outside until I had to due to the cold. Ready on the race line with about 5 min to go. Tim told me I was crazy (for wanting to run in the cold). Wasn't nervous or anxious, at all. Normally, with something like this I'm not nervous 'til the last minute... THEN I get nervous. Not this time. All was good. But I also made it perfectly clear in my mind that My Over All Goal was to FINISH.
Run
  • 32m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Set my pace at the start. A guy next to me said "This is a good pace".
Walked briefly x2 in the first mile, not sure why... I think I felt I was going too fast for ME. Didn't walk the rest of the race.
What would you do differently?:

I would drink more water before. They didn't have beverages there available. I drank a bottle of water on the drive, but I wish I had drank more.

I finished with a sprint, but I would have gone faster at the end, sooner. I didn't realize I had so much energy left, not to mention I wasn't familiar with the course, so I wasn't sure how much farther I had to go.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and stretched. Ate pancakes and sausages. Rehydrated on H2O and orange juice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not knowing the course really threw me off. There were no other mile markers after the first mile (where an official was calling out times: mine was 11:16 !!!)

This being my first race.

Event comments:

Was a great time. After the race, Timmy said "Next year, I'll run with you"... THAT was a good feeling. :)

Clare starts St. Patrick's Day with the Race, followed by the parade and multiple other festivities, leading in to a great night of green beer and St. Patty's Day celebrations. Would have loved to hang out and have myself a great time, but I had other things to attend to. Maybe next year we'll get a room at the Doherty Hotel and join in the fun!

Last updated: 2007-01-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:51 | 03.11 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/16
Overall: 16/132
Performance:
Course: Loop course. In town, on the main road one lane closed off for us. The rest of the streets (residential) had orange cones marking the way, and we had to watch traffic.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-03-18 9:00 AM

Regular
Subject: Clare St. Patrick's Day Road Race

2007-03-19 6:52 AM
in reply to: #727047

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: RE: Clare St. Patrick's Day Road Race
Great job on your first race Steph! Glad it was such a good experience and you are ready to get out there and do another! 
2007-03-19 7:31 AM

User image

Master
MidWest
Good job on your first race!!!
2007-03-19 4:51 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Wow, congrats!  I didn't realize this was your first race 'til I read the report!!  Way to go!!
2007-03-22 12:19 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Way to go!  32 minutes is a great time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Clare St. Patrick's Day Road Race Rss Feed