General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Vegas Six Tunnels Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Las Vegas Six Tunnels Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Las Vegas, Nevada
United States
Mountain Man Events
73.4F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 57m 7s
Overall Rank = 173/680
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 7/32
Pre-race routine:

Got a solid 4 hrs of sleep the night before, got up at 5:30 made coffe had oatmeal, protein shake and some fig newtoms. Got to the race site at about 7:15.
Event warmup:

I did aobut 1.5 mile wu before the race and ate a goo about 8 minutes before the start. I did a little light stretching, mostly hammies. I positioned myself towards the front so I could go out like I plan to in Laughlin (my A race).
Run
  • 1h 57m 7s
  • 13.11 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

My race plan was to go out for the first 5k like I plan to in Laughlin on the 31st. I may have gone out just a bit faster than planned, but not much.

middle part of the race was to be an upbeat tempo run. On this part I wouldn't change a thing.

I did one goo pre race and two during, the plan was for one more goo.

Last 5k was to be close to race conditions but hold back a little. I kept having the conversation with myself that I can pick it up, but if I do I probably won't be training for a few days. The race in Laughlin must be pretty important because the logical person won out over the impuslive one. (and that doesn't happen much:))
What would you do differently?:

Take water with me to the start of the race.

Take the gu I forgot in the car for pre race.

When I was getting dressd I thought about the body glide and decided to put it on before I left the van. yah, I forgot. From now on I'm going with the idea putting it on twice is a lot better than not putting it on at all.
Post race
Warm down:

I did about .75 mile cool down run, it felt really good probably about a 10 min pace. cookies water hike back to the van.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My goal for the race was a quality training run and I pretty much nailed it. Now if I can feel this good about my race in two weeks?

Event comments:

I wish rd's would have water more accessible pre race. The last aid station ran out of cups when I got there and there were like 400 people behind me.
I think there could have been one more aid station on the course. The desert portion of the race was really brutal,,, I loved it!!! If that would have been your first race on a non-paved surface, I can't imagine you would like it much. I got to meet ryanlc

Last updated: 2007-01-20 12:00 AM
Running
01:57:07 | 13.11 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/32
Overall: 173/680
Performance: Good
You can go to my log and the link to the Garmin data is there (I snuck out of the house before Pam woke up and took it, shhh don't tell her)
Course: The course was gravel/sand with about 350 ft. uphill at 5 with some wasouts that you had to navigate or jump over. This course is probably about 2 to 4 minutes slower than a paved course would be without the ravines. I liked it, I'll take trail's any day over asphalt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %4 #'s
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-03-18 11:08 AM

User image

Subject: Las Vegas Six Tunnels Half Marathon

2007-03-18 11:48 PM
in reply to: #727106

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Subject: RE: Las Vegas Six Tunnels Half Marathon
Fantastic training run. Should smash through 1:50.

Cheers,
Mark
2007-03-19 6:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane

It's all looking good for the next two weeks.

Bring on Laughlin and bring on 1:40!!!

2007-03-19 6:52 PM

User image

Master
Seattle, California
Nice race!  I don't know if I would have the will power to hold back like that during a race... I get so caught up in things.  Great job!
2007-03-20 3:42 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
WOW, that was a training run?
2007-03-27 10:21 AM

User image

Thanks for the comments and kind words.

Here is a link to the race pics. http://orders.racephotonetwork.com/QPPlus/Proofs.aspx

Here is a link to the race results. http://www.mountainmanevents.com/newresults/076tovh.txt

Here is a link to ryanlc   pics. http://orders.racephotonetwork.com/QPPlus/Proofs.aspx

Well it's off to Yoga.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Vegas Six Tunnels Half Marathon Rss Feed