Greensboro Running Club
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 33m 1s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Huddled up in a big group to keep warm and out of the wind!!
Event warmup:

A group of us ran for about 5 minutes to warm-up and get the blood flowing.
Run
  • 33m 1s
  • 5 miles
  • 06m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

The course was challenging with several hills. The race could have used a few more volunteers but you have to go with what you got. The finishing chute was too short. It was not a problem when I came through but immediately became and issue a couple of minutes later. They wanted you to pull your own tags which is a bad idea. I pulled mine handed to the lady with the stringer and she dropped it. So there goes my tag down the street I have to go catch!! The chute people need to pull the tags so this does not happen. The runners are out of breath when they come through and should not have to worry about a tag!!
What would you do differently?:

I would not do too much differently. I paced really well and was hurting the entire time, so I know I was giving it a good effort. I do need to do a little more track so I can have that sprint at the end that I needed!!
Post race
Warm down:

Ran to the truck and put on some warm clothes. Then met back up with the group to get some free beer and listen to the band!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The lack of Lactate Threshold training. I have done a little but not much since I am training for my Ironman. I could probably say the Ironman training but with the result I had it looks like it might have helped!!

Event comments:

This is a very fun race to do. Old Town gives all participants two tokens that can be used afterwards to get free beer!! The shirts are always pretty cool as well and who would not want to sport a race shirt that says BEER RUN, you know!! This was my first year b/c the past years I have always had something interfering with this race that caused me to be out-of-town. I am going to do my best to be back next year!!! Great Time!!

Last updated: 2007-03-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:33:01 | 05 miles | 06m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
I wanted to use this race as my LT test so here is my heart rate data. Entire Race (avg. 188 max. 194) 0-5:00 (avg. 179 max. 190) 5-minutes 0-seconds 5:00-13:57 (avg. 191 max. 194) 8-mininutes 57-seconds 13:57-33:01 (avg. 190 max. 194) 19-minutes 04-seconds
Course: This course was a lot more hilly than a thought. It took you through the UNCG campus and then around to Market Street and back up to Greensboro College. We then ran through Greensboro College. Market Street is one long hill!! We keep climbing back towards the start, run back through UNCG and then the kicker. In the last 1 mile they make you climb this hill that is got to be at least four tenths of a mile!! I was pretty spent at this point. I sped up for the last 1/4 to the finish but did not have any after burners!!! The Running Club is notorious for not posting the results for months so who knows if I will get to update that and I did not look at the race.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-03-18 3:35 PM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Subject: Beer Run
I will post the actual results whenever the running club post them.

Edited by BeCivil 2007-03-18 3:36 PM

2007-03-18 6:23 PM
in reply to: #727297

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
Subject: RE: Beer Run

Great race! Wow, that's fast!!! And on a hilly course, no less!

way to go! 

2007-03-19 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Great race!!  Your time was awesome!!!!
2007-03-19 3:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC

Sounds like a lot of fun! and did I say 'YOU ARE FAST!'.  I really think the z2 training helps to lay down the foundation to go fast.

maybe I can join in the fun next year!

2007-03-21 6:57 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

Nice race, nice pace and what the hell kind of heart are you using

HR Avg 188 max 194   Good thing you got some beers afterwards to slow that pumping machine a bit down

I could run for beer .........I just don’t anybody here would be crazy enough to offer it

2007-08-29 10:11 PM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)

Okay. WHY is it that I live in the state of microbrews yet WE don't have any Beer Runs?!?! 

So THIS is how fast you run for beer!! W O W!!!  LOL ~

2008-03-30 8:05 PM

New user

Hey,
I missed out on the beer run because I was sick Do you live in Greensboro? I see you're training for Ironman,...is it the Col'? I live in GSO and would love someone to train with. I swim up at the Spears Y. If you'd like someone to ride with on your longer rides, drop me a post. I'm planning to do the SC 1/2 later in the season. Happy training-Skinny Jeff
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beer Run Rss Feed