General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Completely stupid newbie bike question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-24 1:24 PM

Subject: Completely stupid newbie bike question
The answer to this question is probably so obvious that I will have to change my screen name after posting.

I have a (new to me) road bike with index shifting ( Trek 1220 ). It was so beautiful today I couldn't help taking it out for my inaguaral spin. The first mile or so went great, nice and flat. I was getting used to the Index Shifting. Then I needed to upshift. Meaning I went all the way down to gear 1 on the rear tire ( 7 gear spoke on the rear tire ) and I needed to shift up to a higher gear. I couldn't do it!

What is the trick to upshifting?

I had never had a road bike before now. Plenty of mtn bikes but this is my first road bike.....

Please help.... and try not to laugh.... to much....

2007-03-24 1:29 PM
in reply to: #735539

User image

Pro
Reston
Subject: RE: Completely stupid newbie bike question

Dufresne11 - 2007-03-24 2:24 PM The answer to this question is probably so obvious that I will have to change my screen name after posting. I have a (new to me) road bike with index shifting ( Trek 1220 ). It was so beautiful today I couldn't help taking it out for my inaguaral spin. The first mile or so went great, nice and flat. I was getting used to the Index Shifting. Then I needed to upshift. Meaning I went all the way down to gear 1 on the rear tire ( 7 gear spoke on the rear tire ) and I needed to shift up to a higher gear. I couldn't do it! What is the trick to upshifting? I had never had a road bike before now. Plenty of mtn bikes but this is my first road bike..... Please help.... and try not to laugh.... to much....

Are the shifters integrated into your brake levers, or do you have shift levers mounted on the downtube?  If its part of the brake levers, it probably has two parts to it (for lack of a better way for me to put this into words.. the part you squeeze to apply the brakes, and then another smaller part behind that ).  On my bike, pressing both pieces together gets me into higher gears, pressing the one alone (smaller part of it) gets me to the lower gears.  If you are talking about levers on your down tube, just move it in the opposite direction to shift back up.  Hope that helps.

Edited by 3558 2007-03-24 1:30 PM
2007-03-24 1:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brookhaven, PA (Philly Burbs)
Heheh its very simple. The brake lever on STI shifting systems, which is what you have (what was commonly refered to as "index shifting) also acts as a shifter it you move it from side to side.

Push the right hand braker lever (rear derailleur) towards the left (towards the stem). You'll hear a click and the chain will start moving to the larger gears. Remembers, shift gears while pedaling, and dont "power shift" which is trying to shift while going uphill, and standing up on the pedals, or anytime you try to shift under "full load"

Same thing for the front derailleur, only your moving the left brake lever towards the right.
2007-03-24 5:42 PM

Thanks all..... he said a little sheepishly.... tomorrows ride should be much easier.....
2007-03-24 6:14 PM
in reply to: #735661

User image

Veteran
Perth, Australia
If it makes you feel any better .. my first time out on a road bike, I ended up in the hardest gear and couldn't figure out how to down shift. After flagging down a couple people also on bikes, I got a lesson on how to shift my gears. It was embarassing but at least I learned how to shift!
2007-03-24 6:42 PM

Feeling a whole lot more confident about tomorrows ride....

Tomorrow maybe I will have a shoelace question or something...

2007-03-24 7:47 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Don't laugh about the shoelaces, see there are these things called yanks.....
2007-03-24 9:50 PM

User image

Master
New York
No worries - the day I got my first road bike I rode home proud as can be. Then had to ride back to the LBS to get them to explain to me how on earth to shift out of the biggest gear.
2007-03-25 9:19 AM

User image

Woodland Park, CO
If it makes you feel any better, I had the exact same experience when I took my new road bike out for a spin a couple of weeks ago... My husband and I spent 30 minutes examining the shifting mechanism before we finally figured it out... Doh!

Glad you (and I) got that out of the way! How's it going with the clipless pedals? I still have bruises the size of softballs on both sides of my leg from falling...
2007-03-25 1:52 PM

The clipless are fine thus far... I think they are set very sensitive....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Completely stupid newbie bike question Rss Feed