2nd Place Age Group finish, 50-54
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 43m 39s
Overall Rank = 12/44
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4 a.m., light breakfast of oat/nut cereal and a banana. Drank 1/4 bottle of Gatorade. Left for race at 4:45 a.m. because had about a 45-minute drive. Race site was downtown Muscatine on the Mississippi River.
Event warmup:

Ran one mile, biked about 3 miles, finishing up just in time for the start. Was actually worried I might be late, but it worked perfectly because my heart rate was a bit higher at the start than normal, which cut down on the time it takes to get warmed up for the first mile of the run.
Run
  • 20m 21s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

No issues with the first run
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 00m 34s
Comments:

No issues

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 01m 51s
  • 21 miles
  • 20.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Consumed just under 12 ozs of Accelerade while on the bike

Buy Zipp wheelset
Transition 2
  • 00m 28s
Comments:

No issues

Nothing
Run
  • 20m 27s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Ate about 1/2 of a GU gel pak and grabbed two small cups of water at the start of the second run.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a GREAT massage. The 11 guys who finished ahead of me were standing around eating bananas and bagels and I'm like, "Um, hello, are these two massage tables empty for a reason?" And the therapists were only too happy to have their first customer. She did a great job on my legs and feet (15 minutes!). I melting now just recalling it!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Don't know. All I know is - (and I apologize if this sounds arrogant - all these second place finishes this year are starting to get a bit old. The guy who ALWAYS beats me is 2 years older. I can't stick with him in the run and he is 10% faster (I did 20 mph, he did 22) on the bike. He has Zipp wheels (disc back) and I am certain that will be my major purchase next year.

Event comments:

This is a great race with a great party afterwards. I couldn't stay for the party or to pick up my plaque because I had a very important golf tournament at 11:30 a.m. (By the way, our team had a strong lead thru the first 9 holes, then came a postponement due to heavy rain. Finally, play was canceled and all scores for Saturday were declared erased. Everyone started over on Sunday morning and we didn't play as well - came in 9th out of 20. We each won $73.

Last updated: 2004-08-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:21 | 03 miles | 06m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 16/44
Performance: Good
Course: Flat and fast on a bike path along the Mississippi River
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:34
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:01:51 | 21 miles | 20.37 mile/hr
Overall: 12/44
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: This was a 7 mile loop thru town and residential areas, repeated 3 times. The first leg was a roughish surface, followed by the only steep hill - very steep. The back half of the course was smooth and fast - a very long downhill back downtown. Could hit 30-36 mph on that leg. Road surfaces got very rough again in the downtown area.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:28
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:27 | 03 miles | 06m 49s  min/mile
Overall: 9/44
Performance:
Course: Flat and fast
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-08-30 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Subject: Habanero Grill Duathlon

2004-08-30 10:08 AM
in reply to: #55139

Champion
Subject: RE: Habanero Grill Duathlon
Woooo!  Great race Kevin.  Man, I wish I was fast.  I wish I was young again.  I wish a lot of things!  In any case, ya done good, those times are nothing to sneeze at.  Don't worry too much about the equipment, disk wheels etc.  You'll end up beating that guy by training harder than he does.  I'm always amazed whenever I'm on the bike as I pass guys who are 25 years younger than me, and with fancier equipment.  Concentrate on building up the motor.  Get a good solid mileage base on the bike and the speed will come.  Hill intervals will help.  Remember, you lose more time to a competitor on the uphill than the downhill.  I was just at a workshop where world class triathlete Karen Smyers told us that pushing on the uphills will gain you so much more, because expending the effort on the flats and downhills means more energy is going towards fighting wind resistance, which increases 4 times as you double your speed.  So the energy is better spent in improving your climbing skills.  You want to be able to develop the ability to pound over a hill, and then recover quickly so that you can maintain the lead that you got over the guys you passed on the hill.

Edited by max 2004-08-30 10:13 AM
2004-08-30 10:36 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Thanks Max for the great advice. I spend quite a bit of time in the saddle, but this is my first year as a biker and I know I still have a lot of building to do. Climbs are probably my limiter, and I look forward to improving them. By the way, I edited my post cuz I'm not so sure from your post if you realized I'm in the 50-54 age group - you can't be that much older than me, can you?
2004-08-30 12:36 PM

Champion

Haha...I'm 56, so we are pretty close!  Darn, that makes it even more depressing that you are such a great runner!  Well, at least I know what I have to work on.  It may kill me, but I'm going to try and race a lot this winter and next spring, try and build up my running base.  At least to the point where I can perhaps maintain a steady 9 minutes per mile after doing a swim and bike.

2004-08-30 12:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
Great job holding steady on both runs...no dropoff...and fast too!!

great job

d
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Habanero Grill Duathlon Rss Feed