Annapolis Striders
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 44s
Overall Rank = 1231/4323
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30, on the road by 5:00 am. Ate banana and yogurt on ride with 16 oz water. Arrive at US Navy Stadium at 6:00 am. Packet pickup, browsed expo, killed some time. At a Power Bar about 6:45 am. Sipped Gatorade for pre-race hydration.
Event warmup:

Stretched out, ran parking lot for warm-up, ran 10 hill sprints. Ran parking lot some more and had worked up quite a sweat before the race began.
Run
  • 1h 24m 44s
  • 10 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Lined up WAY in the back of the pack of 5700 runners. Took 5:47 after the gun to cross the starting line. Started slow on the first mile, lots of jostling in the crowd. Had to stop 5 minutes into the race to relieve myself - a little over-hydrated pre-race. Got back into the race, found a comfortable pace and started passing everybody I could see. Starting so far back gave me a mental advantage as there were lots of people to pass. After the first crossing of the US Naval Academy bridge felt good and started increasing pace. After mile 6 set the goal of negative split every mile. Last mile decided to try to get the time under 8 minutes. Finished strong and well under my goal of 90 minutes.

Consumed about 30 oz Accelerade and 2 Gu packs during run, followed up with 10 oz Endurox R4 (one of the goals for this run was to test my 1/2 IM nutrition strategy).
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, really. Pretty happy overall.
Post race
Warm down:

Light stretching, drank 16 oz Endurox R4 and went to Starbucks!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, really. I ran faster than expected. Still need to develop more aerobic endurance and start to do some light speed work.

Event comments:

Organized by the Annapolis Striders (http://www.annapolisstriders.org). Very well organized event. Race started 10 min late, not sure why. Only provided water at aid stations, in the heat Gatorade would have been helpful.

Last updated: 2004-08-23 12:00 AM
Running
01:24:44 | 10 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 184/4323
Performance: Good
Avg Mile pace 8:28 Splits: Mile 1: 9:22, Mile 2: 8:35, Mile 3: 8:35, Mile 4: 8:23, Mile 5: 8:45, Mile 6: 8:41, Mile 7: 8:19, Mile 8: 8:05, Mile 9: 8:04, Mile 10: 7:50
Course: 10 mile course through Annapolis, MD. Start and finish at the US Naval Academy Stadium. Course winds around Naval Academy, crosses the Severn River, goes through downtown Annapolis past the statehouse and the city docks, then through several residential areas. Crosses the Severn river on the US Naval Academy bridge during mile 4, then again during mile 9. Course is very hilly and known for being a very hot, humid run. Both of these proved true this year. Residents of Annapolis are out in full support with sprinklers and hoses - really a great venue. Hats off to the race organizers, volunteers, and Annapolis residents. It's no wonder why this is one of the most popular races in Maryland - topping out this year at 5700 runners.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-08-30 10:17 AM

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: Annapolis 10 Mile Run

2004-08-30 10:24 AM
in reply to: #55158

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
Subject: RE: Annapolis 10 Mile Run
Great time...good job holding a negative split...always feels great beating your expected time...way to go

d
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Annapolis 10 Mile Run Rss Feed