Pottstown YMCA
47F / 8C
Overcast
Total Time = 21m 19s
Overall Rank = 20/171
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6:45 and went to the Springford YMCA for my Cycling Classes. Drank two bottles of Gatorade during the classes. Then drove to the Pottstown YMCA, resgestered, and ate a cookies N cream mini energy bar from the goodie bag.
Event warmup:

2 hours of cycling classes at the Springford YMCA, pushed the second class pretty hard too. At Pottstown after dropping off my goodie bag in the car I strolled to the starting line and did about 15 minutes of easy jogging to stay warm and get some heat in my legs.
Run
  • 21m 19s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Started a bit off the front behind a number of kids starting way to far froward. Took it easyat the start. First 5k in a while so it was a bit of a shock to see how fast everyone got out, but most of them came back in a hurry. Slowly picked up the tempo and started moving forward. Cruised forward and pasted a clump of folks 8-10 folks I would spend the rest of the race with. Cruised through mile 1 at 6:32 a bit fast. Pasted the last of those little kids just before the mile mark, figuring she had gone out to fast. About a half mile later, she is on my shoulder. So I had to push it. (She would finish 24th, 3rd overall female, 10 years old. Wow!!) After the mid point someone called off our positions 18,19,20,21,22... 2miles(actually about 50 yards after the marker on the road) 13:42. About 3 of our clump broke away a bit over the last mile. I went back and forth with a guy with a quote from Charots of Fire on his back (a team from Coventry Christian). Going up a smal hill near then end the thrid guy past us both, I came back and COF guy and tried to push to keep him behind me, but he sprinted hard around to the line and I still don't like to sprint. So I finished 20th, the winner of our clump turned out to be in my age group, but I was a solid 2nd.

What would you do differently?:

It was a C-race and a part of a long trainig day, but without the 2 hour cycling warm up, I certainly could have walked away with a little trophy. But it was a good effort and ran a smart steady race.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a couple bottles of water watched the rest of the folks coming in including a good sized bunch of little kids (12 and under). It was surprising to see how many were out there but it was very cool as well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

C race 2 hours of cycling, no speedwork for last 2 years. But I got a post 14 year layoff 5K PR by about 18 seconds even with the warm up. Maybe I should try to see how fast I can really go sometime.

Event comments:

Won a $10 gift certificate to Schuylkill Valley Sports. Good post race spread of food (Oranges, Bannanas, Prestels, Danishes, and Cheese Pizza. Awards Ceremony was a bit disjointed but it was a nice little race, easy to get to, good parking, and a nice course.

Last updated: 2007-03-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:19 | 03.11 miles | 06m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 20/171
Performance: Good
Course: Fairly flat route through the neighborhood streets. Open to traffic which made it interesting at times. Start and finished in front of the YMCA
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-03-31 7:38 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Pottstown YMCA Spring Forward 5k

2007-04-01 8:21 AM
in reply to: #744110

User image

Master
CT
Subject: RE: Pottstown YMCA Spring Forward 5k
nice job!

pretty impressive after 2 hours of cycling!

congrats!!
2007-04-01 8:27 AM
in reply to: #744110

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: Pottstown YMCA Spring Forward 5k
AWESOME JOB! placing after a workout even. that's really exceptional!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pottstown YMCA Spring Forward 5k Rss Feed