General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 11m 57s
Overall Rank = 54 /128
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/21
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 5....ate some yogurt and drank some fluids - brushed the sleep out of my eys. Had everything set-up the night before...so it didn't take long to get ready. Got to the race site about 6:15....tested my bike...everything seemed okay. Headed towards transition....set my stuff up...ate some bagel. I new where some nice bathrooms were so headed up that way to put on my wetsuit and waited for my heat - I was the last heat.
Swim
  • 49m 35s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

So the swim - what can I say....hmmmm...most people know it's my least favorite event but I have been working hard on it. I didn't get a chance to swim the day before because of the bad weather. So
- this was my first open water swim this year....
- first salt water triathlon (I've avoided these - ocean swims)
- first time using wetsuit (only practiced once in the pool a few days before).

Okay - so I know better - but sometimes circumstances arise and - 2XU sent me the full suit a few days before - I should have swam in my sleevelss - the full was a little small and I was not comfortable. Had a small.. okay a LARGE panic attack in the water...and really had to talk to myself for the first 10 minutes of the swim - tried to think about my stroke and less on the fact that the wetsuit was suffocating me. I was breathing every stroke and only on the right side so sighting was somewhat limited. Never felt like I could get in a good rythym - think that was just lack of open water swims this year.
I was so happy to get out of the water :) The swim seemed to last forever...it was definately not on the short side.

by the way salt water stings your throat when you swallow it :)
What would you do differently?:

More open water swim time - hard to do this time of year...

More time in wetsuit.....I know better I just did it anyways.
Transition 1
  • 03m 10s
Bike
  • 3h 03m 14s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Well I always look forward to the bike...but as soon as you hit Seawall road you were hit with 13 miles of a very nice headwind. I would say between 15 and 20mph at times....my average speed on the stretch was about 14mph and I was passing people. Once you got to the turnaround it was amazing...I was averaging around 24mph sometimes hitting 26. The way back was so quick...the second loop was about the same as the first the wind may have calmed slightly but by then you were pretty tire of fighting it. I found myself not going as fast as I could just because I was fighting the wind....I'd catch myself and try and speed up.

I really paid attention to my nutrtition. Used aero bottle filled with water and two small water bottles filled with gatorade and one scoop of carbo pro. Drank all of water and refilled once - drank some of that - drank one of bottles w/gatorade and 1/2 of the other. Ate 6 shot bloks...and 1/2 peanut sandwich. Worked out well...felt like I was really keeping on top of my nutrtion. Took 2 endurolyte pills during the ride.

I had only done 15 miles previously on this new road bike so this was definately a test. It did great - and I loved it...all the compenents and seat and peddels were all the same so it was just the frame...very nice - performed very well. Although I wish I had had my tri bike to really see what it would do on the flat surface.
Transition 2
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

Three of us who all had bikes racked right by each other - came in at the same time so it was kind of hectic getting our bikes on...took my time.

My legs felt fine transitioning from bike to run.
Run
  • 2h 12m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Drank at most of the rest stops - kept cool by putting water over me....just kept an even pace wasn't racing or trying to go fast just trying to go steady and make it through feeling pretty good. Walked through some rest stops - but did not walk any other time. Did a couple shot bloks and a gel and a couple pieces of banana. Overall I was happy with my run time...it is getting better. I didn't have any pain from past leg problems...knees felt good...they were tired but no pain. Didn't have to take any pain meds during the event.

Need to keep increasing my miledge slowly....and the speed will come back slowly.
Post race
Warm down:

I felt really good after the race....no medical tent...could really tell that my nutrition was much better at this race. This was a really early season half for me so I was pleased with my overall results...there are lots of things that I need to work on and keep training...but I think it was a good warmup. I might pick a smaller race as my first before a half...mentally it's a little hard when your first race of the season is a half...but I like a good challenge.

Event comments:

This was a very good race. The weather was iffy for awhile...but race organizers can not help that. It was extremely well supported....lots of volunteers and very helpful. Nice expo - lots of great and easy parking. The bike course was good - safe. Run was good....a little crazy..maybe they can work on that a little. Great event for spectators. Excellent event.

Last updated: 2007-02-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:49:35 | 1931 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 0/128
Performance:
Suit: 2XU Elite FullSleeve
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:10
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:03:14 | 56 miles | 18.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/21
Overall: 20/128
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: The first mile or two of the course you could not go very fast - you were weaving between the park area. Once you got out onto Seawall road it was a straight shot - This was a two loop course for the half.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:25
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:12:30 | 13.1 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 0/128
Performance:
Course: Someone who passed me describe it as "running through a bowl full of spaghetti and then having to do it again". I thought that was a great analogy. It had more twist and turns....it was well marked but kind of crazy. If the race gets any negative comments it would probably be about the run course. Mostly concrete some grass....mud puddles (phew my shoes stunk so bad when I got home....)
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-02 5:42 PM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2007-04-02 5:49 PM
in reply to: #746293

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

Great job on this race, wow!  New wetsuit AND new bike could have made for a tough day, but it seems the bike worked out fantastic.  (Maybe try not-zipping the top few teeth of the wetsuit zipper?  I have to do that with mine.)

It's also cool to notice that your nutrition on the bike really paid off - smart racing there.  Way to go!

2007-04-02 6:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston

I am impressed, good race.

This is the one I'd like to do next year.

2007-04-02 6:35 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
I've had that same conversation with myself on the swim course. Way to pull it together and have a good race! It was nice meeting you! See you at the next one!
2007-04-02 8:40 PM

User image

Regular
Perry Oklahoma
look like you had a good time.  Maybe we can get together and try out our new wetsuits soon.  How bout that?  Little open water swim as Skiatook?   You gonna be at Claremore or are you gonna do Playtri?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed