Chicago, IL
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 41m 14s
Overall Rank = 446/1473
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4am, had a bagel, protein shake & Gatorade. Arrived at race around 5:15 and finally made it into the transition area around 5:45am and set up. Left transition and got immediately in the swim line with my wave.
Event warmup:

Some light stretching
Swim
  • 21m 53s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

Living near the lake, I'm pretty comfortable swimming in the open water but with this being my first triathlon, I was not prepared for the crowds. I made the mistake of starting in the middle of the pack and had to fight my way past the slower swimmers to some clear water. Same issues when I caught the slower swimmers from the wave in front. Never got any rhythm going and was exhausted by the finished. I didn't stay to the outside like I had planned, I swallowed too much water and felt sick through most of the swim, and I had to stop and use the bathroom after exiting the water (unable to take care of business in the cold water).
What would you do differently?:

Start from the front of the pack and keep to the outside. Try not to swallow so much water. Relax. Take better care to not over-hydrate before race.
Transition 1
  • 03m 40s
Comments:

Considering the size of the transition area, I'm not sure how I could improve on my time. With this being my first tri, I probably did take an extra 10-20 seconds making sure I hadn't forgoten anything, but overall I had no issues.

nothing
Bike
  • 48m 45s
  • 13.6 miles
  • 16.74 mile/hr
Comments:

The head wind on the first half was a killer, and being on a mountain bike certainly didn't help. Felt pretty nauseous from the swim for the first 20 minutes on the bike so took it easy. 2nd half, with wind on my back, I opened it up a little more and tried to hydrate since my stomach felt somewhat better. Hit speeds approaching 30mph on some short stretches, managed low 20's on the flat sections.

I had hoped to finish the bike leg in under 45 minutes but cosidering the winds, my equipment, and my stomach problems, I'm not too disappointed with my time. I look forward to doing this course next year on a road bike and hopefully less wind.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

No problem finding my spot. Dropped helmet & glasses, did some very quick stretching to loosen up my legs and was off.

nothing
Run
  • 25m 27s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

First mile felt ok, but with it about 30 seconds slower than my typical brick run pace, I knew my body was pretty tired from the swim & bike. Second mile was about the same and third mile was a struggle. I had nothing left in me at the finish. I was shooting for 24 minutes on the run so I'm most disappointed with this leg.

Extend distance of training runs to build endurance. More brick workouts.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the finish area, drank some Gatorade and water, ate a couple of bananas.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Over-hydrated pre race. My inability to avoid the mayhem on the swim took a lot out of me. Stomach issues, which might have been caused by breakfast.

Event comments:

Even with the wind, cold water and other issues, I really enjoyed my first tri. I hoped to finish around 1:30-1:35 so I'm a little bummed I missed my goal. I thought the race was incredibly organized for its size and the volunteers & spectators were great. Even though I plan on doing OLY tris next year, I will be doing this Sprint race again, determined to finish in under 1:30. Let the training begin!

Last updated: 2004-08-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:53 | 750 meters | 02m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1473
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri-shorts
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:45 | 13.6 miles | 16.74 mile/hr
Overall: 581/1473
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:27 | 03.1 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Overall: 378/1473
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2004-08-31 12:31 PM

User image

Chicago
Subject: Accenture Chicago Triathlon

2004-08-31 2:40 PM
in reply to: #55698

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Accenture Chicago Triathlon
Great job! I read Whizzer's RR and those winds were killer! I think you did awesome. Congrats, TRIATHLETE!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Accenture Chicago Triathlon Rss Feed