United States
25F / -4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 13s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Einstein's Power bagel, coffee, bowl of cereal, and gel right before start. Stood in potty line.
Run
  • 1h 28m 13s
  • 8.3 miles
  • 10m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

This was an AWESOME run. It started out a bit slow as everyone was stacked up in two single track trails with about 6" of snow between them. The first part of the run was frozen dirt. Then we got to the 3.5 mile mark and it went to a single track trail of slippery packed snow. If you wanted to pass, you had to do it in ankle deep snow. There was a BIG hill here...I think all 589 feet of elevation were in the next mile and a half. I felt GREAT running the hills and even passed people! When the downhill came, I just opened it up and cruised. My body felt so strong.

It was a good day for my mental game. My mantra's were- "You're Golden." "Feel your body working" "Run your race, woman" and "Your rock." I may not be the fastest cookie on the route, but I sure felt like it. It's amazing what positive self talk can do for you!

I actually ran equal splits between halves, which made me happy as the 2nd half had all the brutal hills.

I did my nutrition perfectly as I had a gel about 5 minutes before the hills.
What would you do differently?:

The only thing I would do is dress lighter. It was 19F when we started and about 42F by the finish. I could have left my ear warmer and stuff behind.
Post race
Warm down:

Banana, water, walk to the car, blasted the ipod on the stereo all the way home, and iced my ITB with a bag full of snow, as it's a bit tender after the run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The start was crowed with limited trail access. I got stuck a few times behind really slow people.

Last updated: 2007-04-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:28:13 | 08.3 miles | 10m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Trail run in the Greenland Open Space Park with amazing views of the foothills, rolling grasslands, and Pikes Peak. The run starts on double single-track and then turns to single track trail over the ridge and then back to double again. 579 feet elevation gain...I think all of it was between mile 3.5-5.0. BIG hill right in the middle and then a great downhill all the way home!
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-04-14 1:04 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Subject: Greenland Trail Race

2007-04-15 4:23 PM
in reply to: #761138

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida
Subject: RE: Greenland Trail Race

That race sounds like a ton of fun!  I can't believe you crazy Colorado people race in snow.

The view sounded beautiful.

Congrats on a great race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Greenland Trail Race Rss Feed