United States
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 20m 50s
Overall Rank = 3/63
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 7am for the 9am race. I ate a bagel and drank some water. 7:30am ate 1 tbsp of honey and little more water. Drove the 6 miles to the high school and arrived at 8am. Got registered and ate 1 tbsp of honey with some water. I got to visit with an old training partner who had moved away. Visited with a lot of people from the gym I train at.
Event warmup:

Jogged a couple of 1/4 mile laps on the track. My left hip was very tight so I stretched it out. 8:30am ate my last tbsp of honey with some water. 1 last bathroom break and I was set.
Run
  • 20m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

The weather was great for a run up till 8:30am and then the rains came. It was raining very hard up to about 5 mins before we raced then it tapered off but it felt like the temp dropped. Everybody was getting cold by now waiting for the race to start. We got to the start line and the gun went off. I placed myself in the front of the pack to avoid slow kids. I paced off of a high school runner who I knew was faster. On the way out we were running into a cold head wind and a light rain. Got to the first mile marker in 6:26 which was really fast for me but I was staying with my pacer. There was 1 runner ahead of us and I knew no one was going to catch him today. By the time we got to the turn around my hands were numb but I knew we had a tail wind all the way back. I couldn't tell if the rain had stopped by now or not. I stayed with my pacer until the last small hill and he took off. I was now in survival mode with a racer closing in on me. With a 1/4 mile left I emptied the gas tank with one last push and finished 10 seconds ahead of him. I finished 15 seconds from second place but the winner ran a fast 17:47 on a tough course in bad weather conditions.
What would you do differently?:

I felt like I ran a pretty smart race but I went out just a shade to quick. My goal was under 21 mins so I can't complain.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my sweat top back on. Water..Water...Water... Ate an apple, banana, stood around for awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rain and head wind didn't help. Train more.

Event comments:

This was a Rotary Scholarship fund raiser and the Crossville Rotary did a great job on a cold rainy day.

Last updated: 2007-04-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:50 | 03.11 miles | 06m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 3/63
Performance: Good
First mile marker was at 6:26. I don't have the other splits.
Course: This was an out and back on country roads. This course was either uphill or downhill with none of it on the flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes