General Discussion Race Reports! » Bikefactory/Jamba Juice Lanikai Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Bikefactory/Jamba Juice Lanikai Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kailua, Hawaii
United States
BOCA
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 20s
Overall Rank = 220/315
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/22
Pre-race routine:

As you read this race report keep in mind that I have been sick for a few weeks with an intestinal issue that has not been fully diagnosed. My doctor put me on antibiotics the week before the race, I was hoping they would make me better, but they made me worse! They added nausea! So my eating was not good too! I tapered to almost no exercise(See my logs). On Friday before the race My doctor took me off one of the antibiotics which was making me nauseous, I started feeling better. So I boxed the bike and saturday got on the airplane to Oahu for the race! My friend Jamie was staying me and It was her first so It was great to be her mentor for her first race! If I was 100% we probably would have finished together! She passed me on the bike!

After a really bad sleep, I got up, did the bathroom thing, took my immodium to keep the intestines under control, ate a tangerine and fruit nut bar, drank Hammer Heed and water. Arrived early enough to get a good spot at the end of a rack, set up transition.

Event warmup:

Stretched, walked to the beach to look at swim course, they did not put the bouys out due to a good trade wind, they did it just prior to race start. I purposely did not want to do more for a warmup, I felt the swim would be a good warmup for the bike...
Swim
  • 07m 41s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first ocean open water swim with a mass start, I was looking forward to it and had a lot fun.
What would you do differently?:

I know I could have gone faster, but due to the illness I held back because my goal was to finish the race and not to go all out!
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

They did not provide transition times so this is from my watch. Hard to say if this is correct but close.

again I was could go faster.
Bike
  • 40m 58s
  • 10.8 miles
  • 15.82 mile/hr
Comments:

I realy like this course, the road was just paved recently so it was real smooth.

I know I could have gone faster than this but the goal was to save energy to make sure I could finish the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again no transition times and I forgot to hit the lap button at the right time and now that I just looked back It looks like the transition times are included in each of the swim,bike,run times.

I went pass my transition spot by a little so I need to pay better attention to that.
Run
  • 35m 41s
  • 3.7 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

The hardest leg for me! I just kept focused on technique and my Heart rate, the first hills were tough I was really feeling my weakness at this point I managed to keep running, my pace at 1 mile marker was 11.55 very slow for me! I think it was longer than a mile. The second mile marker came very quick I was feeling better here and did manage to pass some folks. I saw that my Heart rate was climbing so I slowed it down and the women that I had a good pace with pulled away, I know if I was feeling 100% I would have finished with her! The last hill was very hard but I managed to keep running knowing I had a downhill and the finish!

nothing due to the circumstances. I know normally I can run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking and chatting with friend and fellow BTers naners and tizzy. It is nice to hook with the BTers!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being sick.

Event comments:

I am so glad I competed due to the circumstances, I know that my ability when I am well is better. It was my first ocean swim with a mass start which I had a blast doing and can't wait for the next.

Last updated: 2007-02-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:41 | 500 meters | 01m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/22
Overall: 135/315
Performance: Good
Suit: trisuit
Course: Funky looking triangle course, swim out to first bouy round with it to your left, swim with the wind chop down to next bouy, round it on your left, then straigt in with the third bouy closer to the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:58 | 10.8 miles | 15.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/22
Overall: 228/315
Performance: Average
The course was shorter than 12 miles it was more like 10.5 miles per my odometer.
Wind: Headwind
Course: Very flat course with a gradual to steep hill at the turn around, the best part was to go fast downhill after the climb! Tail wind out headwind back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:41 | 03.7 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/22
Overall: 249/315
Performance: Average
Course: Loop course with three hills in the beginnig then flatens out until the end another hill then a downhill finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-04-16 3:33 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: Bikefactory/Jamba Juice Lanikai Triathlon

2007-04-16 3:56 PM
in reply to: #763667

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Subject: RE: Bikefactory/Jamba Juice Lanikai Triathlon

Way to get out there and race despite the fact that you were feeling icky!  I hope that all gets worked out soon.

2007-04-17 12:30 AM
in reply to: #763667

User image

Regular
Kaneohe,Hawaii
Subject: RE: Bikefactory/Jamba Juice Lanikai Triathlon

Very nice gutting this one out!  Glad to hear you had a good time despite your circumstances. Keep up the good work.

Aloha,

Matt 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bikefactory/Jamba Juice Lanikai Triathlon Rss Feed