General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Injured, can't run...pool running? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-17 10:17 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Subject: Injured, can't run...pool running?

I am bummed. 

I seem to have torn something in a calf muscle. I have a race coming up in 4 weeks that I don't want to miss. I am thinking about trying pool running. I have never done it before.

Does anyone have how-to advice?

Will it be enough to keep what run fitness I have now?

Anything ?

2007-04-17 10:28 AM
in reply to: #764681

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Injured, can't run...pool running?

Deep water aquajogging will definitely help you maintain your fitness. It's pretty easy, but takes a little practice to get down pat.

Make sure you put one of those floatation device things around you (your pool should have it for aquajoggers/deep water aerobics/etc.). A lot of people put it so the top of the floatation thing sits under their armpits, but I find it's more effective to have it around your stomach with the top of it even with my chest (like where a HRM strap would sit).

When you run, make sure you're running and not moving your legs in a circle like you're riding a bike. Move your whole body as if you're running. When I aquajog, I focus on all aspects of my running form, including footstrike, lean, etc., in order to do it as best as possible.

As I mentioned earlier, it may take a while to really get into a groove. I find that when I finally get into a good groove, it feels as if I am running for real, but with a bungee cord or something holding me back. If I am having trouble getting into it, I stop for a second and say to myself, "Just run." That usually helps.

Good luck. I hope your calf heals quickly. Take care!

2007-04-17 10:43 AM

Extreme Veteran
South Park, PA

here is a good link to the how to's of water running   http://www.dougstern.com/index2.html

k

2007-04-17 12:01 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
If you are running in less than 2 feet of water, watch your ankles. There is no support, and the ground is tough. Deeper water running should be ok.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Injured, can't run...pool running? Rss Feed