General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oxford, Ohio
United States
Miami University Student Foundation
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 15s
Overall Rank = 25/396
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/33
Pre-race routine:

I arrived in Oxford on Friday night and as I was pulling my bike off the rack I noticed my rear tire had gone flat on the drive from Chicago. I spent most of the night before hoping I could find someone with a spare tube and tire tools who'd be willing to help a guy out before the race. Fortunately HFP is awesome and had a bike tech handy for just such an occasion. Thanks guys!
Event warmup:

None. I was too busy running around looking for the bike techs. They didn't show until about 7.
Swim
  • 07m
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

I hate pool swims, but if you have to do them this is a great pool for it. I hate that people don't pace themselves appropriately but what can you do? It slowed me down having to pass on the outside constantly. I can't complain though, the swim felt ok.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Maybe seed myself faster.
Transition 1
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new tri shoes on the bike. For 2 season I had been using old roadie shoes and having only 1 big fatty strap and the loops really helped to get my feel into the shoes on the move. It really saves so much time to have your shoes already clipped into the bike when you're running out of T1.

nada. Maybe rubberband the shoes to help jump on easier.
Bike
  • 39m 16s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.99 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm really bummed with my bike split. About 2 miles in I ran over, of all things, a helmet sticker that had come off somebody in front of me. It stuck to my wheel, went around a few times, and then firmly and squarely wedged itself between my brake pad and tire causing annoying friction and squeaking. I tried to lean forward and pick it out while riding but it wouldn't budge. I made the decision not to stop though and hammered through it. The hills were also brutal! It's much flatter here in Chicagoland so I really had no good way of being prepared for these monsters. This was also my first time riding outdoors off the trainer this season.

I guess one of the reasons we do early season races is to work out the bugs. I would have liked to average at least 1-2 MPH faster on the bike, but nobody to blame but myself.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Yankz. Must buy new Yankz. I was too lazy to go to the store and buy a new set last week and it burned me in T2. Having to stop and tie shoes ate way way way too much time. Also, my shoe came untied on the run and it sucked having to stop and re-tie.

Again, nobody to blame but myself. There's a reason why I don't race with laces, this just served a nice reminder up to me.
Run
  • 21m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I am very disappointed with myself here. My shoe came untied costing me precious seconds and I really don't feel like I pushed myself as hard as I could have. I thought I was running pretty hard at the time but when I saw the split time I knew I could have done better.

Next time I'll pay closer attention to the clock to make sure I'm not sandbagging it!
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water and ate a granola bar.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

When I crossed the finish line I felt way too fresh and didn't have the slightest bit of soreness, 2 signs that I didn't push myself hard enough. It's the first race of the season though, I guess it served it's purpose for me to see what bugs need to be worked out.

Equipment. I need to get yanks, that would have shaved a minute off my time right there. Also, my G-shock broke over the winter and I've been procrastinating buying a new race watch. Had I been able to see my time during the run I may have turned up the heat.

Event comments:

I LOVE this race! HFP always puts on fantastic, safe, well organized events and I give them an A+ for this. Much love goes out to all the volunteers...college kids who got up at the crack of dawn on a Saturday to stand at intersection or pass out water, you guys are the best! Thanks to the OPD for blocking off the traffic on the bike course, and much thanks to the bike techs from Cincy Trek for saving my bacon before the race.

Last updated: 2007-04-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:00 | 437 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 0/396
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:37
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:16 | 12.43 miles | 18.99 mile/hr
Wind:
Course: Challenging, hilly, but beautiful. I used to love these roads when I went to school at Miami, still do.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:21:14 | 03.11 miles | 06m 50s  min/mile
Course: Nice out and back through South Quad. It's fun because I get to run past my freshman dorm, the old dining hall, places where I used to hang out with my friends and throw a football when it was nice out. Ah, the memories.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-04-23 9:18 AM

Extreme Veteran
IL
Subject: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed