General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to do About Uncooperative Quads???? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-23 11:56 AM

User image

Subject: What to do About Uncooperative Quads????
Got a question for anyone who can help? Competed in a half ironman this past weekend. Swim went okay, bike went well, then at mile 5 of the run experienced complete quadricep shutdow. I was reduced to a waddling, limping, bumbling, jog for the run course to ensure I got to the finish line. I have noticed that my quads are always the first to go in races. Any ideas what to do about it? Have an Ironman in August and want to fix the problem before then

2007-04-23 12:19 PM
in reply to: #772899

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: What to do About Uncooperative Quads????
Cramps? How is your electrolyte intake?
2007-04-23 12:26 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Without more info it is hard to tell the specifics of what might have happened. Generally, two of the biggest mistakes endurance racers can make that would lead to something like this:

1). Not Pacing Properly (IE, Going out too fast)
2). Nutrition

Improper Pacing will result in accumulated late race fatigue that will force you to slow down. Proper Nutrition delays the onset of fatigue as much as possible, but most often cannot overcome improper pacing.

Note that Pacing includes consideration of both current fitness as well as current conditions. (Temp, Wind, Hills, Humidity)

Some questions:

1). Did you really hammer the bike
2). How did you feel on the run (Was your Nutrition running thin)
3). How was your pacing for the 1st part of the run (Did you go out too fast)
4). How was your Nutrition on the bike and when did you stop eating (To prepare for the run)
2007-04-23 12:29 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Hard to say without more info.  Sounds like simple fatigue.  My guess would be go easier on the bike.  Cycling is typically the more "quad-dependant".  And in training, make sure you're biking & running lots. 

Did the run course have a lot of downhill in the first 5 miles?  Running downhill can put more strain on your quads, especially if you are "braking" too much with you legs.  But the "cure" for that is still probably just more running.

2007-04-23 1:53 PM

User image

I really didn't feel like I hammered the bike, and my nutrition intake seemed to be okay. I just notice that any time I do a long training ride or a longer triathlon event my quads seem to shut down. Literally taking steps becomes agony. I do know that perhaps I don't eat enough during the bike leg, but I hydrate pretty well. Will lack of "food" intake on the bike leg cause the problems I am having? Is it possible that my body is just not cut out for the longer tri's??

Thanks for your feedback all
2007-04-23 3:06 PM
in reply to: #773124

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

caelinpaul - 2007-04-23 2:53 PMI really didn't feel like I hammered the bike, and my nutrition intake seemed to be okay. I just notice that any time I do a long training ride or a longer triathlon event my quads seem to shut down. Literally taking steps becomes agony. I do know that perhaps I don't eat enough during the bike leg, but I hydrate pretty well. Will lack of "food" intake on the bike leg cause the problems I am having? Is it possible that my body is just not cut out for the longer tri's?? Thanks for your feedback all

Were you taking in electrolytes or just water on the bike? Depleting potassium and sodium reserves can certainly wreak havoc with your muscles...

Edited by SuzanneS 2007-04-23 3:07 PM

2007-04-23 5:09 PM
in reply to: #773285

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
SuzanneS - 2007-04-23 1:06 PM

caelinpaul - 2007-04-23 2:53 PMI really didn't feel like I hammered the bike, and my nutrition intake seemed to be okay. I just notice that any time I do a long training ride or a longer triathlon event my quads seem to shut down. Literally taking steps becomes agony. I do know that perhaps I don't eat enough during the bike leg, but I hydrate pretty well. Will lack of "food" intake on the bike leg cause the problems I am having? Is it possible that my body is just not cut out for the longer tri's?? Thanks for your feedback all

Were you taking in electrolytes or just water on the bike? Depleting potassium and sodium reserves can certainly wreak havoc with your muscles...

I agree.  My very first thought was "do you have any electrolytes on the bike/run?" I haven't had the joy of experiencing that sensation first-hand, but Eric has.  But then we upped the amt of salts we put in our homemade sports drink and he hasn't had a problem since.

2007-04-23 6:15 PM
in reply to: #773124

Master
portland, or
I'm not sure what you mean by "my quads seem to shut down". Can you be more descriptive? Are the muscles literally not firing? This could be a neurological issue, and not just a fatigue issue. Do you get cramps? If so, this is likely caused by fatigue (the common response to cramps is an electrolyte defficiency, but studies show that fatigue/lack of conditioning is the primary cause)

You mention that it happens in longer tris and on longer bike rides. The quads do a great deal of work during cycling, but the primary role of your quads on the run is to absorb impact and stabilize your knee. Your hip flexors are what fire to lift your leg, and your hamstrings and glutes do most of the work to pull you forward.

You ask if a lack of "food" intake on long rides can cause the problems, and the answer is yes. You need glycogen, especially when doing longer events. And if you're planning on doing an IM (I think you stated that in your initial post), getting your nutrition strategy down is very important.

From a training standpoint, I would be looking at improving cycling fitness and pacing. But without knowing more detail, this is just a guess.

scott

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to do About Uncooperative Quads???? Rss Feed