General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie Bike Question "Georgia Specific" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-27 2:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Newbie Bike Question "Georgia Specific"
I have been training for my first triathlon (Chattahoochee Sprint) about two months now. I am really excited about the event and hope I enjoy the sport as much as I have enjoyed the training (not to mention the health benefits). I am borrowing a friends road bike (Trek 2120) as of now. It is a large 60" frame (too large for me), but I have had it "fitted" for me. The fit was a quick 15 minute job, not a true full fitting as described on this site. My intentions are to look at purchasing a bike AFTER I complete my first race. Kind of a reward to finish. If I enjoy the race and feel like it is something I am going to continue doing, I am going to begin the process of looking at bikes. The first and most popular question is should I get a Road Bike or a Tri Bike. I don't plan on competing in much road racing, and I train alone most of the time. That said, I live in North Georgia which has lots of hills. The second question is should I look for a new bike or a used bike (I think I know the answer to this one). A good fit is the most important aspect of a bike. Hard to find that in a used bike. Third a final question, has anyone ever ridden a Softride bike. They are supposed to ride better and take some of the bumps out of the road. I have had some problems with my lower back and if this could help I would look into the Softrides more seriously (although they are no longer producing new bikes). Last, I have visted two local bike shops in Gainesville and Dawsonville. Both seem to blow off the true fitting of a ride. I went in and asked about getting fit for a bicycle and both shops said they could do it in about 15 minutes. Any reccomendations of shops in Atlanta that are more Tri specialized and take the fitting more serious? If I plan on spending some money on a new bike I would want it fitted to the "T" (no pun intended).

Thanks again.

2007-04-27 4:27 PM
in reply to: #779364

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Newbie Bike Question "Georgia Specific"

First, my friend let me introduce you to the enter key. Much easier to read.

jamesehatcher - 2007-04-27 2:43 PM I have been training for my first triathlon (Chattahoochee Sprint) about two months now. I am really excited about the event and hope I enjoy the sport as much as I have enjoyed the training (not to mention the health benefits). I am borrowing a friends road bike (Trek 2120) as of now. It is a large 60" frame (too large for me), but I have had it "fitted" for me. The fit was a quick 15 minute job, not a true full fitting as described on this site. My intentions are to look at purchasing a bike AFTER I complete my first race. Kind of a reward to finish. If I enjoy the race and feel like it is something I am going to continue doing, I am going to begin the process of looking at bikes. The first and most popular question is should I get a Road Bike or a Tri Bike. I don't plan on competing in much road racing, and I train alone most of the time. That said, I live in North Georgia which has lots of hills.

This question is answered by reading this: http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml

this:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/sports/triathlon/section-28.html

and finally, this:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=938

I have a mountain bike, road bike and tri bike. Cycling is multifaceted and I am glad I have all 3. If I only had to buy one, I would go with a roady. Just much more versatile.

On your hills issue, this has little to do with the type of bike (although if I'm riding lots of hills, I want to be on my roady) and much more to do with the gearing. Read this: http://www.chainreactionbicycles.com/triples.htm

The second question is should I look for a new bike or a used bike (I think I know the answer to this one). A good fit is the most important aspect of a bike. Hard to find that in a used bike.

You can find a great deal on a used bike but to me a bike is something that will last you many years if it fits and is well taken care of. Given this, personally, I am going new every time. But that's just me. Others have had good luck buying used off ebay, new online used off Craigs List. Whatever works for you.

Third a final question, has anyone ever ridden a Softride bike. They are supposed to ride better and take some of the bumps out of the road. I have had some problems with my lower back and if this could help I would look into the Softrides more seriously (although they are no longer producing new bikes).

I personally have heard good things about Softride, but I would refer you back to your first question. A bike that fits will help with the lower back issue. A softride that doesn't is likely to aggravate it. Bikes have come a long way in the last few years. Look at newer bikes that are full carbon or at least have carbon forks and seat stays. You will likely find something you can live with.

Last, I have visted two local bike shops in Gainesville and Dawsonville. Both seem to blow off the true fitting of a ride. I went in and asked about getting fit for a bicycle and both shops said they could do it in about 15 minutes. Any reccomendations of shops in Atlanta that are more Tri specialized and take the fitting more serious? If I plan on spending some money on a new bike I would want it fitted to the "T" (no pun intended). Thanks again.

A roady often doesn't take more than 15 mins to fit as it is a bit more relaxed geometry. A tri bike fitting takes longer as the correct angles are alot more important. All3sports is in Dunwoody offers fitting when you purchase from them. Also you can contact Matt Russ at the Sport Factory for a fitting on either a road bike or tri bike.

Edited by jonathan22 2007-04-27 4:31 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie Bike Question "Georgia Specific" Rss Feed