United States
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 54m 42s
Overall Rank = 495/1984
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 46/
Pre-race routine:

Out of bed at 4a.m. Breakfast consisted of: 1/2 cup oatmeal, handful of raisins and frozen blueberries, sprinkle of ground flax seed and wheat germ, and nuked for 45 sec. Also ate half a chocolate PowerBar and washed it all down with two cups of coffee. 45 min. before race start I ate other half of PowerBar. I'm so thankful my bodily functions work like clockwork, as I routinely empty out before 5a.m. That makes it so nice on race days--no waiting in line at the portables!
Event warmup:

Parked at hospital and walked/jogged the 8-10 blocks to the starting line as a warm-up. Did some light stretching to keep loose and looked for friends.
Run
  • 1h 54m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

This was such a great run for me. I kept a fairly steady, consistant pace the whole race and had a solid kick at the end. I ran 8:48's the first 6.1 miles, 8:39's the second six, and a whopping 8:09 for the last 1.15 miles. Yeah!
What would you do differently?:

There will be another one next year, and either I'll be training for the Pacific Crest HIM, or the IMCDA, so I'll be approaching the race in pretty much the same way--as a training run. The only thing I can see as being different would be my goal--to run it even faster. Depending on my off season I may step up and do the full marathon next year.
Post race
Warm down:

I tried to stay loose as I waited for friends to finish. My friend Dave, and his daughter Natalie, were expecting to do the full marathon in 5 hours and after walking back to my truck-about two miles- I ate and hydrated, and basically likked time until they were due in. I jogged back tot he race and waited for them at mile 25. In less then ten minutes I saw them coming and I ran with them for the last 1.2 miles. Natalie handed me her camera and as they crossed the finish line I took their picture from behind with the time of finish. It was great.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

If anything limited my performance it would be the fact that I wasn't training specifically for this run. In fact, yesterday I swam over two miles, and if I were only running I would have rested as part of a standard taper. Since I'm training for an IM I approached the half marathon as confident, while respecting the distance and the race. The one thing I would do different is start at the line and not fight the congestion from farther back. BUt I wanted to start with Dave and Natalie so it was still good.

Event comments:

It's Eugene, the track capital of the world. Every race in town is as good as it gets. Plus, Subway Jared was there cutting a 26.2 foot sandwich. I think he's put on a few pounds

Last updated: 2007-01-23 12:00 AM
Running
01:54:42 | 13.1 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1984
Performance:
Avg. HR 166. Max HR 187
Course: If Eugene is anything it's green. The course wound through the U of O neighborhood before winding its way to the bike paths along the Willamette River. Starting temp was just under 50 degrees and I'm glad I've trained myself to semi-ignore cool weather. Some people are really over-dressed for this. I've got tri shorts and my Triple Bypass cycling jersey on (mainly so I can use the jersey pockets to hold the PowerGels I snag along the way.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes