General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Missed workout sessions. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-30 5:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Missed workout sessions.

Has anyone had to skip a workout session or cut it short due to working long hours or overtime?  I have a tendency to work nine and a half or more hours on a couple of days during the week.  This leaves my weekly work schedule a little short or I have to squeeze extra time/distance into my workouts. 

Lately, I've had to postpone my sessions until later in the evening and when I'm done I've still have to get my stuff ready for work the next day, laundry, house cleaning, spending quality time with the chick.   

So, is it OK if I make up for the time lost by adding it to my routine later in the week? 

2007-04-30 5:36 PM
in reply to: #782316

User image

Master
La Crosse
Subject: RE: Missed workout sessions.
mswole - 2007-04-30 6:12 PM

Has anyone had to skip a workout session or cut it short due to working long hours or overtime? 

I can say with absolute confidence that this has NEVER happened to anyone in the entire history of BT, or tri training in general.

Well, yeah, this is BEGINNER Triathlete! Not "Perfect Ideal World" Triathlete! We've all got family and work and other demands. We're all limited by nutrition and fitness and sleep deprivation. The trick -- and to me, this really is the core of triathlon -- is finding that mental space where you can compartmentalize and schedule and plan your life so that you can push yourself to your limits BUT NOT BEYOND. That is a remarkable challenge, and what I think is so interesting about tri. No matter how well your workout goes, there's always another discipline you could and should be working on. It's not the TIME, it's the BALANCE that matters in tri. It's not quantity, so much as it is quality of the quantity.

Oooooo -- sorry for waxing philosophical.

So, is it OK if I make up for the time lost by adding it to my routine later in the week? 

No. Yes. Maybe. I don't know. I don't think you can "cram" for training -- it's the daily grind.

Edited by stupidnickname 2007-04-30 5:36 PM
2007-04-30 6:44 PM

User image

Elite
I'm training for my first tri race, and I can speak from personal experience that yes, without a doubt, you will miss a day here or there. If you've got a family too, then you'll miss a little more...and if you don't, you may want to look a little closer at your family responsibilities. It's all a balancing act.

I keep it reasonable if I try and make up a missed workout day. If I'm a little sore, I get the time in with a little less intensity. There are benefits too when it comes to rest days off of training. I find I have much more energy for other physical activities.
2007-04-30 6:53 PM

User image

Veteran
The weather is super nice and I was going to get in a great run as soon as the sun was setting and then "POOF!"  I had to put the cover sheet on my TPS report!  Oh well.  I can always occupy  my evening with my stretching and core workout.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Missed workout sessions. Rss Feed