United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 55s
Overall Rank = 12/188
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 3/20
Pre-race routine:

This was weird because it was a pool swim and the slowest people went first. So I woke up at 6:30am and broke down my camp-site, yes I camped, and headed over to the race. My heat, #18 aka second to last, didn't start till around 12:20pm!!! so I ate a bagel at 8am then did 675ish cals of Carbo-Pro mixed with nuun and that was down by 9:45am.
Event warmup:

Did a 2 mile bike, 5 min run, then a 5min swim closer to my heat time.

All race times are according to my watch, the race has me finishing about :30 later than I did, but it doesn't change my place in the race and I trust my watch more than the guessing paper system they did.
Swim
  • 07m 41s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a pool swim, so no frills lap swimming with a dude I split the lane with, and he totally lapped me. This guy came in Second overall in my age group and beat me by 4mins.

There were also no splits so I don't know how I faired against the other competitors, oh well.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I paced well this time and got the exact time I put down for pre-seeding.
Transition 1
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Pretty fast T-1, I had the shoes rubber banded on. I had a few disasters while practicing the flying mount so I decided to place my right foot on the shoe before slinging my leg over.

Go faster?
Bike
  • 43m 4s
  • 14 miles
  • 19.50 mile/hr
Comments:

IT WAS SOOOOO HOT OUT!! ok so the water bottles I had put on my bike just 4 heats before mine went off were already hot, so nutrition aka drinking NUUN sucked. I drank it but it wasn't thirst quenching at all.

There was a pretty good head/cross wind that I felt I was leaning into the entire time. Also made it hard to make up time going one way or another because it was rarely "at your back."

Another problem was the fact I haven't been in my areo bars much at all, its kind of hilly in Colorado so I'm usually sitting up. So my hamstrings and ass were hurting because I was in aero a bunch.

I wanted to Avg. 20mph on the ride and came close, but with the wind it just wasn't in the cards.

There was water at the bike turn around, I just dummped it on my head to keep cool.

Not much, I pushed pretty hard.
Transition 2
  • 00m 22s
Comments:

SO FAST!!! Luckily most of the bikes around me were from much earlier heats so I had some nice clear space to just throw my bike up by the seat post and rip off my helmet. slid on the shoes, grabbed the fuel belt bottle (which was hot as hell) and the race belt and was off. Shoved the bottle in my shirt as I put on the belt.

Nothing, it was smooth and fast
Run
  • 22m 5s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Holy god it was hott out!! It was around 1pm by now and a scorcher!! I had my fuel belt bottle but that was worthless because drinking hot liquids sucks. I started out pretty quick but realized that there was no way in hell I would be able to keep up with the guy who came out with me, and was in the heat after me (oh yes he crushed the bike, but I somehow caught him in T-2? when he passed me a long time before.)

So I settled into a painful pace and just hoped for the best. Halfway mark was 11min almost exactly, which is nice because I wanted to break 22mins for the run. I grabbed 2 waters at the turn around, dumped one on my head, tried to drink the other but couldn't because it was in a plastic cup and splashing about festively so I just dumped it on my head.

The second half of the run was just a suffer fest. I was in a lot of pain and wanted to walk so bad, but kept telling myself, just 10 more mins of pain, just 8 more mins of pain, just 5 more mins of pain, etc... Stomach craps were pretty rampid considering the heat. I tried picking it up a bit in the last 1/2 mile to catch this guy from the heat before me but I just didn't have it in me and he was too far away.

ahhhh get more base miles in training so that a 5K doesn't hurt so bad. I'm putting below average just because it hurt so bad, even though it is my fastest 5K of the season, beating my last race.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around for a bit...does that count? did some streching too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

just need more base miles. no need for speed work this early in the season.

Oh and somewhere on the run I pulled my ass. Yes my ass, how? I don't know but my left butt cheek hurts.

Event comments:

It was a good little community race so I didn't expect much but I had lots of fun. This is actually the biggest race in Nebraska, can you belive that? They had about 400+ with all the relay teams. I must say that the Race Director and everyone from Nebraska is just soooo nice!! Especially since I was this random kid with a mo-hawk from out of town. I had people offering me their back yard to camp in so I didn't have to camp at the park!! Everyone was so nice I would travel 10 hours to go do this sprint. I just love the small town races because its an awesome mix of first timers and some pretty fast guys.

Last updated: 2007-03-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:41 | 500 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/188
Performance: Good
Suit: WVU Tri-Suit
Course: Pool swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:41
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:04 | 14 miles | 19.50 mile/hr
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Out and back with some turns
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:05 | 03.1 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat out and back with a turn.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-30 10:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: James O'Rourke Memorial Triathlon

2007-05-01 10:04 AM
in reply to: #782743

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: James O'Rourke Memorial Triathlon

Super rr!  Sounded like alot of fun.  The smaller races always are I think.

2007-05-04 12:45 PM
in reply to: #782743

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: James O'Rourke Memorial Triathlon

Way to make the most out of that race.  Nice way to push your body.  I need that kind of mental toughness. 

We need to ween you off the fuel belt  ;P

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » James O'Rourke Memorial Triathlon Rss Feed