General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildflower Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wildflower Triathlon - Long Course - TriathlonLong Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake San Antonio, California
United States
Tri-California
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 50m
Overall Rank = 1254/1966
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early, had a cup of coffee and only ate a banana. I didn't even think about eating more, but I really should have. Got my gear together and headed down to transition about 7 am
Event warmup:

None really. There was only about 5 minutes before your wave to swim out a bit and loosen up
Swim
  • 36m 50s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

While I feel swimming is my best discipline, I just never really felt good thru this swim. I did okay, and finished strong, but never felt i'd reached my comfort zone. Had a difficult time sighting, sucked in water a few times and had my goggles leak and had to drain them twice. It was getting choppier on the way in from the wind. Other than that I felt fine!
What would you do differently?:

My overall performance wasn't as bad as I thought, but theres always room for improvement. Looking back I think I may have had my goglles upside down cuz thats the only time they leak usually
Transition 1
  • 03m 26s
Comments:

Didn't really feel a huge need to hurry thru transition- I took the time to apply lots of sunblock
Bike
  • 3h 25m 4s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.38 mile/hr
Comments:

Wilflower bike course is legendary, and many claim it to be the toughest long course bike in the world. With over 4000' of climbing I really didn't think it was too bad,but the wind made it almost unbearable at some points. Like my swim I just never got comfortable and felt like I was mashing rather then pedaling smoothly. Huge lack of mental focus here as well. I did take the time to sit up and enjoy the countryside more than a few times
What would you do differently?:

What do you do to practice riding in the wind? At some points it seemed like the wind was in your face regardless of which direction you were traveling
Transition 2
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

Again took a moment to apply sunscree
Run
  • 2h 41m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were tired from the ride and I really wasn't excited about the run. Again mentally I just wasn't into it. The first couple miles were very uncomfortable but about mile 4 1/2, at the top of the trail run, I started feeling much better and was able to keep an even pace. Mile 5 aid station was a pick me up with the college girls being topless :)
Post race
Warm down:

Took a few sips of the ONE water bottle given to finishers but tossed it cuz it was WARM! I did enjoy the nice, cool wet towel but overall I was very dissappointed with the finish area.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Trained hard the week prior to the race left me feeling fatigued. No taper either for this race and I felt like a had a complete lack of energy from the start of the swim. I did enjoy the race but i'd be lying if I said I wasn't dissapointed with my finishing time

Event comments:

I am so glad I did this race and finished the long course. I'd heard a lot about this race and how hard it was. IT was well run and the whole atmosphere all weekend was fantastic. I feel like the aid stations could've been a little better stocked- green bananas and unripe oranges was kinda outta line. Other than that i'd give this race a B

Last updated: 2007-01-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:50 | 1931 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 594/1966
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless
Course: This was a rectangular course, swam clockwise. 1000 meters out, round a buoy and 1000 meters in. Not too difficult
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:25:04 | 56 miles | 16.38 mile/hr
Overall: 1037/1966
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Single loop around Lake San Antonio with a few good long climbs and some very fun decents
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:14
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:41:26 | 13.1 miles | 12m 19s  min/mile
Overall: 1642/1966
Performance: Below average
Course: 50% trails 50% road running thru the campgrounds. Aid stations pretty close to every mile was nice
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-09 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California
Subject: Wildflower Triathlon - Long Course

2007-05-09 2:22 PM
in reply to: #794701

User image

Expert
Central New York
Subject: RE: Wildflower Triathlon - Long Course
Tough course. Tough day.

Way to gut it out. In addtion to sapping your leg strength, that wind dries the body out so quickly (shades of IMAZ 07). You persevered in tough conditions. Congratulations.
2007-05-09 2:32 PM

User image

great race in tough conditions on a tough course Jeff.  So was the bike happy to be back out there??

Looking good for IMKY

2007-05-09 5:43 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Hey Jeff, glad you got out there and did this race even though it was not an "A" race and you were training through it. The "Big Dance" is coming up for both of us and this is just a warmup to work on mental toughness

I walked around the transition to see if I could spot you but without bib numbers, it was really tough to find folks. (I found Chris and Paul found me)

Time Goals are clearly secondary here and it is the overall training experience that really counts.

Your swim leg sounds like a lot of others I have read in that it was slower than hoped. Having to head into the wind after the turnaround really slowed everyone down.

I am with you that the bike course was not that bad. I suspect the run course is where the real hidden difficulty is. Some of the trail running was pretty technical and definitely not compatible with fast run times.

Having done this race last year (The Oly), I knew to carry what I needed and to have very low expectations of the finish line refreshments. This definitely was not an Ironman Event to be sure.

I suspect that the loss of Jamba Juice Dollars this year really impacted the race day festivities

Glad to see you were into sunscreen. Mine wore off about half way through the bike and I really got scorched. (My number and age is really burned into my left arm and leg)

Take Care and Recover Well

Edited by WaterDog66 2007-05-09 5:45 PM
2007-05-09 6:08 PM

User image

Expert
Great job getting out there and finishing, especially since you weren't feeling it. I think that's when it gets really tough!
2007-05-09 7:37 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
the wind definitely sucked (or blew) that day, but otherwise it was a great day to be out there. Gutsy to not taper and just train through it, but, hey, you did it so kudos to you.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildflower Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed