Set Up Events
66F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 27m 18s
Overall Rank = 65/138
Age Group = 35-39 F
Age Group Rank = 12/16
Pre-race routine:

Well, on the way to the race(@6:15 AM) I ran over some debris and promptly got 2 flat tires for my work. Spent the next 5 min freaking out. Then I called my husband who was getting ready to start a fishing tournament. He told me to call the highway patrol. But I know they have better things to do, so I decided to call my coach to come get me. Well I didn't have her phone number. So I called all my friends until one of them answered their phone. Thank God for Jason and Darlene. Jason answers the phone and immediately is "Where are you" I tell them I just need them to get on the computer to look up my coach's cell phone number (which is on her website but is unlisted everywhere else) and they get it for me. I call her and she arranges for one of her friends to come and get me. Well, I take back roads to get to Clemson, so I need someone who is familiar with the area because I have no clue what the name of the road I'm on is, I just know landmarks. Fortunately she had a Clemson grad friend who came to pick me up. Well, she gets there, we load up, and then we start looking at each other funny- we were friends through other friends from our college days- but each of us has a different last name now and we both look different- LOL. I told her she was my angel. I thought I was going to have to ride my bike to the race site. (only about 7-8 miles away but hilly!) She gets me to the race with about 15 min to spare to pick up my packet. Whew. I made it. Adrenaline is pumping now. At least I felt like I had gotten all my flat tires out of the way.
Event warmup:

None. I was too frazzled by the tire drama.
Swim
  • 16m 33s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

First OWS. I think I prefer a pool. Couldn't see 2 feet in front of me, so I couldn't find someone to draft off of. Twice I was heading off course, so I had to adjust. Then we ended up running into the back of the men.
What would you do differently?:

Practice OWS and sighting more.
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

I was hoping for a faster T1, but considering I had to peel out of my sausage casing, I mean wetsuit, it wasn't too bad. I have to have socks and can't put on my shoes on the bike, so it was decent, but I'd like to shave 30 seconds off of it at least.

More bodyglide. Practice getting out of a wet wetsuit and putting on socks while wet.
Bike
  • 37m 51s
  • 11 miles
  • 17.44 mile/hr
Comments:

I actually got to pass some folks. WOO HOO. Even some men. The women who passed me mostly had tri bikes. I handled the hills pretty good. I tried to push it on the flats and the downhills. First time I upshifted to my big chain ring the chain popped off down to my pedal. I was going down an incline so I pulled my leg to the 12 o'clock position and reach down and pulled the chain close to the gears. Then I down shifted and back peddled and managed to pick the chain back up and get it on the big chain ring. I don't know how I managed it but I sure was glad.

Get my bike serviced before the event. The bike is new and it needs its first set of adjustments. I called the shop on Monday and asked if I brought it Tuesday could they get it for me and the assured me that wouldn't be a problem. So I left work early on Tuesday to get it there before they closed and when I brought it in the shop just shook their head and told me it would be Saturday before it was ready. WTF? Why did I call to make sure if this was the case. Evidently you have to put your name on a list to guarantee your place in line. The girl who talked to me didn't tell me that. I was not happy. Today Coach Katie tells me that I should have called her and told her what happened. She could have made it happen. I guess she has people. LOL. I know better for next time now.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Much better transition. Almost passed my rack, but managed to get in. Someone on my rack didn't show up so we had plenty of room. That was nice.

nothin'
Run
  • 29m 58s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I set a new PR for a 5K. My coach said the course was longer than a 5K, but I'm not sure about that. All I know is I broke 30 min on it and that tickles me to death. Fastest previous 5K in a race situation was 32:12.

All the hills sucked big time, but I handled them well I think. I felt stronger on the 2nd half of the run after I got my legs back.

Run Faster, LOL!
Post race
Warm down:

What's a warm down in a race, I gave my chip to the volunteer and went to get water and oreos. Oh and a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience, run fitness, swim fitness. Stuff I can work on.

Event comments:

Stayed to watch the awards because I needed my coach to carry me back to my poor little car. Realized that if I had raced as a novice (which would have been reasonable considering this was just my 2nd tri- last year I did one tri and one du)I would have come in 2nd place. CRAP. I guess that's why they say hindsight is 20/20. I was pleased to have finished in the top half of women, even if I was in the bottom half of my age group. It's a very competitive age group. After all, Barqhead is in it!! And she's MUCHO FAST!

Last updated: 2007-05-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:33 | 820 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 46/138
Performance: Average
I was faster than this, but there was a long run up hill and around a corner to get over the timing chip. I figure it took me at least 3 min to get to transition.
Suit: QR Sleeveless
Course: Triangle swim, one loop.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:51 | 11 miles | 17.44 mile/hr
Overall: 64/138
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Up a hill, down a hill, up a horrible hill, on a level area slightly down, up a hill, down a small hill, up a hill, down a hill, up a hill, down a hill, level area, finish. LOL. That's what it was.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 98
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:58 | 03.11 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Overall: 84/138
Performance: Good
Course: Down a hill, up a hill, up another hill, down a hill, up a hill, turn around, down a hill, up a hill, down a hill, up a hill, down a hill, up a hill, finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-12 3:43 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Subject: Clemson Triathlon

2007-05-12 8:17 PM
in reply to: #798215

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: RE: Clemson Triathlon
Ha ha! Thanks for the shout out in your RR. Glad you didn't get kicked in the swim, either. Great job on fixing that dropped chain without stopping. Man, I am pooped. All those hills just sucked the life right out of me. Looking forward to seeing you again at Festival!
2007-05-13 6:56 AM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Great effort on a tough course. You really smoked it. I think I would have went home after the flats. Good job handling the chaos and I can never get that back peddle thing to work. I lost a chain atJekyll last week. Got to adjust those limiters. Excellent job and congratulations on the PR.
2007-05-13 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Great job at Clemson! I guess I should have gotten my flats out the way too (I was that girl right out of T1 yanking the tire off of her bike, but you might have already been gone!). Great job on the race and congrats on the 5k PR!
2007-05-13 3:04 PM

User image

Regular
Greenville, SC
Way to overcome the challenges! I don't know if I could get through all that! You should be proud of this race!!!!
2007-05-15 6:56 AM

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois

Great race!  All that drama at the beginning didn't get to you either.  Your a tough cookie!

Great work picking up that chain too.  My first tri I managed to lock mine up when it dropped.  Now I hope I could manage half as well as you did!

Congrats!

2007-05-15 7:25 PM

User image

Regular
PA
Way to go on your second tri. looks wonderful to me. worry about all your troubles with the car before. I would have been a wreck.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Clemson Triathlon Rss Feed