General Discussion Race Reports! » Head for the Hills Bike Rally in Cedar Hill Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Head for the Hills Bike Rally in Cedar Hill - CycleTour

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cedar Hill, Texas
United States
Rotary Club of Cedar Hill
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 28m 2s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Thomas insisted that we leave at the last possible minute to maximize sleep. So we left the house a few minutes after 7. Since I'm a fan of getting to events really early, this made me nervous until we passed 4-5 cars with bikes on our way there.
Event warmup:

Oh whoops - no warmup, really. I guess the first few miles were slow enough to count as warmup?
Bike
  • 2h 28m 2s
  • 44.5 miles
  • 18.04 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm fairly certain that the course was longer than the advertised 41 miles. My cycling computer clocked it somewhere around 44.5, and the map got it at 42.5ish. Considering that we think there's a possibility of us making one wrong turn near the end (the course wasn't as well marked on the return roads), I think it was probably around 44.5 or 45? Either way, there's no way we would have been happy doing the 64 - that would have been miserable for us. The short route would have been too short, and the long route would have been very painful, so the middle route was a good choice for us.

We managed to stay with a pack of cyclist/triathletes for a while around miles 15-25, and that was fun, but they were terribly inconsistent. They'd hammer up some hills (not even all hills) and then cruise and drop pace. All the while, they didn't let anyone else lead/pull but complained that no one was taking turns. My boyfriend tried to nudge up and take a turn, but they blocked him out. Odd. Whatever. At the 41/64 split, the group somewhat disintegrated, and those who kept on the 41 course turned it up a notch. I hate to say it, but I was silently scorning the girls who were on their tri bikes and seemed to be the "pack leaders". They were the queens of inconsistency and (maybe it was my imagination) seemed to carry themselves like they thought they were the only triathletes in the world.

I noticed A LOT of tri bikes at this thing. I kind of thought that was a no-no for rally rides? It seems incredibly dangerous to bring a tri bike to one of these events unless you're truly out for a solo training ride. But I saw plenty of triathletes riding with packs in aero. I'm still somewhat uncomfortable in group riding situations because of the unpredictable factor of other riders, so having tri bikes in the mix doesn't help my fears at all. Aside from the speed gain, I was more comfortable when Thomas and I lost the pack and were riding by ourselves.

Overall, I was very happy with this (my first!) rally. Thomas and I both enjoyed ourselves and had a very good experience.
What would you do differently?:

I think I need to do a lot more of these rally rides to work on many things - 1. cycling endurance 2. bike handling skills (especially around groups) 3. hills training! 4. nutrition/hydration practice.... shoot, just overall riding experience period!
Post race
Warm down:

Yet another event that I follow with drinking. This time, some friends had a housewarming party in Addison that transitioned to Taste Addison. Lots of beer, food, and fun were had by all.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall cycling fitness (or lack thereof).

Last updated: 2007-05-06 12:00 AM
Biking
02:28:02 | 44.5 miles | 18.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Max HR - 192 Avg HR - 175
Wind: Little
Course: Really nice hilly course in Cedar Hill. Some roads were a little rough, but overall the roads were quiet country roads with nice scenery. Thomas and I intend on returning for more riding sometime in the near future.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-13 9:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Subject: Head for the Hills Bike Rally in Cedar Hill

2007-05-13 10:57 AM
in reply to: #798585

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Head for the Hills Bike Rally in Cedar Hill
Lack of fitness? Gosh, I wish I sucked as bad as you do...

Yea, I recall seeing that pack. I'm sorry, but they really annoyed me, and I just wanted them GONE from my area. I slowed down a bit and they finally kept going and moved on.

There were A LOT of triathletes out there. Personally, I don't think it's bad to take a tri bike to these things... IF you are going to ride in between groups and not ride draft in aero. If I thought my butt and back could do 64 miles on my tri bike, I would have ridden it

Looks like you and Thomas had a great ride. Can't believe it was your first one ever.

Well, my next rally is next Sat. I have to keep building my 60ish mile base to get ready for the HIM in Oct. Honestly, my fitness level isn't where it needs to be, and it might take a few months for me to get there.

2007-05-14 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
You have the best cool down routines of anyone. Good choice with the Taste of Addison.
2007-05-14 2:24 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
was the taste of addison the official post rally event??

great job on the bike for the both of you and your choice of cool down activities

gary
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Head for the Hills Bike Rally in Cedar Hill Rss Feed