Envirosports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m
Overall Rank = 38/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up late.... and drove like a maniac to get there.. I had to go through San Francisco and I am not familiar with that town... Finally found the Golden Bridge and found the place.. I arrived just in time to get my bib number, and walk to the starting line.. I had the need to visit the little boy's room, but I really did not have much time...
Event warmup:

Nothing... just jog to the starting line.... It was soooooo Cold in the morning... I was wearing a sweatshirt, but I took it off since I knew I was going to warm up as soon as I started running. I tied to a tree close to the finish line and waited for the start
Run
  • 1h 36m
  • 11.5 miles
  • 08m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

I found my calling... Trail Running.. It is so great.. I loved it.
The race started up-hill of course and then we went into a paved road for about 1 mile before turning right into the trails. The trails were very narrow and an many ocassions I could not see where my foot was landing.. kind of scary...
Once I got in the trail My goal was no let anybody pass me... which i accomplished. There was this couple of guys that were behind me all the time, but never made an attempt to pass me which felt good... I thought I was pushing a little too hard, but then I said "remember the goal".. and just kept hammering. I started passing people, the good thing about trail runs is that people are nice. when they hear you in the back, they usually step aside and let you through (unless you are me of course), and that is usually what happened.
At about mile 5 or so I was running comfortably and for some reason I am better at climbing that in flat ground. I seemed to catch more people in the inclines that in the flatsections. Anyhow... I catched up with this girl, she had the most amazing legs I have ever seen and her pace was pretty good. I thought, I found my pacer and I just followed her. we passed an incredible amount of people together and she asked me if I wanted to pass her. I said, no.. you have a great pace I want to take advantage of if you do not mind. She did not...so we kept our strategy... she lead I pushed.
We reached an aid station and I asked "what mile is this?"... the lady said "you have one mile to go".. I was like.. "It cannot be possible.. I feel good and I have been running fast"...
The last mile was straight up... I think it took me like 18 minutes to complete the last mile... My new found friend ran out of breath and I passed her..... but about 100 meters, I was running out of breath and she passed me again. It was the longest mile of the race...
We crossed the finish like and I could not believe when they told me my time.. 1:36... I was doing under 8 minute miles... in the hilly trails... The last mile was a killer...
What would you do differently?:

push harder.. I could have passed my pacer and push harder.. I had it in me.. I just did not do it.

FEAR of running out of fuel and Fear of the unknown and Fear of getting lost once again prevented me from pushing with all I had
Post race
Warm down:

Banana bread, walk, Gatorade and a cliff bar.. Walk to the car and then drove to Muir woods... Took a 3 mile trail and walked the whole thing. It was beautiful.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

FEAR of running out of fuel and Fear of the unknown and Fear of getting lost once again prevented me from pushing with all I had

Event comments:

Trail Runs Rock.. I am hooked w Trail Runs.. I have a 50K next weekend, and I am planning a 50 miler before the year is over.. and yes I see myself finishing a century sometime in the NEAR future.

Last updated: 2007-05-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:36:00 | 11.5 miles | 08m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/
Overall: 38/
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly... Up and Down... The run was a trail run Mt. Tam just north of San Francisco. It is a beautiful place, from above you can see the city and ocean. The only problem is that you could not take your eyes out of the trail. It was very narrow and had a slope. I was afraid I was going to twist my ankle there.. but Thank God I did not.. Mt Tam is a mountain Ridge North of SF. I has some very steep hills and the trails are narrow and many have lose gravel.. I could not take my eyes of the trail of fear of falling and twisting my ankle.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-13 10:36 AM

User image

Expert
San mateo California
Subject: MT. TAM WILD BOAR RIDGE RUN 18K

2007-05-13 12:30 PM
in reply to: #798634

User image

Veteran
San mateo
Subject: RE: MT. TAM WILD BOAR RIDGE RUN 18K
you go you!! Congratulations on such a great race!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MT. TAM WILD BOAR RIDGE RUN 18K Rss Feed