General Discussion Race Reports! » MS Bright House Networks Bike Tour Day 1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

MS Bright House Networks Bike Tour Day 1 - CycleTour

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Winter Haven to Orlando, Florida
United States
National Multiple Sclerosis Society
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Wake up, pack car, grab tea and some food and drive to Cypress Gardens in Winter Haven at the crack of dawn, well, actually before the crack of dawn.
Event warmup:

On Saturday, I gathered with my team before the start. I hadn’t met Dean before, and had only spoken with Jeff a few times. Dawn, Jeff’s wife, was our connecting force, and team leader. I felt nothing but excitement as I watched more than 1200 riders get ready to head out on the road to Orlando. Finally we got the signal, and we started on our way.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 80 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

The day was gorgeous, the ride fun, the rest stop volunteers wonderful, and the whole tour was just one of the best organized I’ve ever seen. We had a great hamburger cookout at lunch complete with a DJ spinning 80s tunes.
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing, perfect day of FUN!
Post race
Warm down:

At the finish line Mark and Travis met me, and took me home for a shower before the big dinner.

The group dinner that night was just right. The food was excellent, but more than that we all really felt like a team united to fight MS and help those who suffer with it. We saw some inspiring stories and encouraging news about treatment and research for a cure. It gave me hope, and fueled me to be ready to go the next day.

Event comments:

Can't wait for Day two, and then for next year!

Last updated: 2007-03-28 12:00 AM
Biking
00:00:00 | 80 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Early on a few volunteers were mixed up, and sent a large group of us doing the 80 mile route on a wild goose chase over some of the roughest road I’ve ever seen. At many points we had to ride on the yellow stripe because that was the only place the pavement was intact. Dean’s mountain bike was looking like a really smart choice. We finally came off the rough road and met with the rest of the 80 and 100 milers, and realized our mistake. Our team decided to map out our own recovery route rather than adding on an additional 10-15 miles, so we ended the day with about 78 miles done.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-14 6:49 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Subject: MS Bright House Networks Bike Tour Day 1

2007-05-16 5:31 AM
in reply to: #799223

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: MS Bright House Networks Bike Tour Day 1

Hey Ann,

It sounded like you had a great first day.  Bummer about getting mis-routed.

Ernie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MS Bright House Networks Bike Tour Day 1 Rss Feed