Mississauga Half Marathon
18C / 64F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 36s
Overall Rank = 519/1465
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 94/244
Pre-race routine:

Good breakfast in the morning and a bottle of Gatorade about 45 minutes before the start.
Event warmup:

I really didn't have a chance to warm up. I got to the event in what I thought was going to be plenty of time. Unfortunately, there was a lot of conjestion getting off the main road and into the parking lot. It took almost 20 minutes just to drive less than 1KM from the main road and park the car. By the time I did that, and make a quick stop at the port-a-potty I had literally a minute and a half to get into the gate before the event started. Luckily, I was able to stay calm and relaxed so I didn't really get phased by this.
Run
  • 1h 49m 36s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 05m 11s  min/km
Comments:

What a tough run. I mean, the course was fine; it was me. Since my Around the Bay 30K run back in April I haven't been keeping up with my running. In fact, my run volume dropped and I haven't done any LSD runs. I knew going into this event that I would have a tough time but I was surprised by just how much that was the case. The first 10K were relatively easy but by the 15K mark I was getting quite tired. It took a lot of mental effort to push through the last 6K. In the last kilometer I was really pushing hard and had a lot of side stitches.

Interestingly, my legs felt pretty good. They weren't tired or sore at all and felt quite strong but it just seemed like it took a lot of effort to maintain my pace.

My goal was to finish in 1:45 or better. Unfortunately I missed that mark by just about 5 minutes. I'm sure that had I trained properly I could have reached that goal. Lesson learned.

On the positive side, my sustained pace was my best yet and I did improve since my last race and most definitely since my last half marathon 7 months ago but it took a lot of mental effort to do so. At the same time, having to push through the mental fatigue was a great learning experience which I will use in future races I'm sure.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not sure that I could have done anything differently on race day. Given my training level (or lack thereof) I gave it my best both physically and mentally.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of traning. My run volume has taken a nose dive in the last month and a half so I'm not surprised at the results.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-04-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:49:36 | 21.1 kms | 05m 11s  min/km
Age Group: 94/244
Overall: 519/1465
Performance: Below average
Course: The course itself was great. Mostly flat, some very small rolling hills with the net result being a drop in elevation. The run course wound it's way across Mississauga and down one of the most beautiful streets in the city. Running past tree lined mansions on a beautiful sunny day was really quite nice. We eventually wound our way down to the lake and ran through various paved park trails along the lakeshore. Just gorgeous!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-14 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Toronto
Subject: Mississauga Half Marathon

2007-05-14 2:19 PM
in reply to: #799482

User image

Regular
Corona, California
Subject: RE: Mississauga Half Marathon

If you haven't been running in a while, and still did a sub 2:00 half-mary, your awesome!! Great race!!

Have a great day.  

2007-05-15 2:34 PM
in reply to: #799482

User image

Expert
Toronto
Subject: RE: Mississauga Half Marathon

Thanks for that perk up!

It's not that I haven't been running, it more like I have cut down my mileage and eliminated my LSD runs in the last month and a half. Anyway, thanks gain

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mississauga Half Marathon Rss Feed