of 46

2008-09-16 12:24 AM
in reply to: #1674869

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
cmbcwb3 - 2008-09-15 12:17 PM

RICH --  I need some advise on improving speed -- particularly in running.  You are the king of working around an injury; so I could use some advise from you on how to work around my knee problem and still get faster.  Hit me with any questions.

OK...first give me a little bit more on the injury. Are you healed or still working through it! Is it the inside of the knee, outside of the knee, or just below the knee cap. Given that it is a knee injury, don't overlook that the knee issues could be caused by the bike fit.

What is the frequency of your running per week and how many days between your running workouts? What is the current distance that you run per workout?

That will give me some basic info to help you.

Rich

2008-09-16 8:20 AM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA

Healed patella tendon/sciatic nerve injury.  Now have arthritis behind the tendon as a result.  I would say it is 85 to 90% better than back in February and the ortho doc says that is right on target.

I run 2-3x week usually just 2 miles.  Last year I had worked up to 6, but when I saw the doc in July she advised that I take my time working up to bigger distances.

Let's say I'm going to keep to 2-4 miles through the fall/winter. What's the best use of that time?  Should I be trying speed sprints? Or do I really have to work up to bigger distances to improve?

2008-09-16 8:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Advice to come.....but look for my comment regarding Mr. Armstrong.... a coupl of posts back......I'm not going to let you get away without commenting.....

Rich
2008-09-17 2:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Sorry Rich, I missed your post asking for more details about Lance.  We started a team for the LIVESTRONG Challenge here outside of Philadelphia.  Turns out, Lance came for the big day (Aug 24).  Got to see him speak.  Then got to see him come in from his 100 mile ride. (It was a very hilly course -- I did 45 so I could be back in time to see Lance.)  Some on our team did 70 miles; some did 100. It took our 100-milers nearly 8 hours. Took Lance about half that time.  Took some video of him coming in and a photo.  It was all very exciting.  He is one BUFF looking dude!  My current photo is me and 2 of my teammates.
2008-09-29 7:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Well...I did it.  I biked my first century on Saturday. 103 miles to be precise.  That was the hardest ride I have ever done.  It wasn't exactly flat either - rolling hills most of the way, but a nasty climb at mile 70 and a shorter version of the nasty climb at mile 85.  My back was cramping and my butt is a little bruised, but otherwise, I made it through pretty well!  It will be a while before I attempt that little feat again, but it's nice to know that I'm just stubborn enough to do it.

So...what is everyone else up to?

2008-09-29 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA

Congrats Kat!  That's awesome!  You should be very proud of yourself.

Did a training ride in the pouring rain yesterday. (I can be stubborn too ;-)  My last organized ride for the season is October 19 - Covered Bridges ride - 50 miles. Years past, it has been 32F and 42F at the start. I just hope it isn't raining. Raining is okay. COLD and raining sucks.

Start swim lessons in late October.  Still waiting for more running advise from RICH -- Hello!  Where are you RICH?!?  ;-)

2008-09-29 3:08 PM

Hi everyone... Rich is letting me in your group for support... i hope you all dont mind me picking your brains.. heres my info:

username: jentrijenn

Name: Jennifer Woolf

My Story: I have been blessed with an athletic (though athena right now) body and have never been apart of any sports at all.   For the past 6 years, since i got clean and sober from using alcohol and meth at age 20, i have been gaining weight and using food to deal with problems i could work through...  I am currently at 250lbs on a 5 ft 9 in athletic frame... you can see my pictures on myspace.com/sushimama.  I work 2 jobs, both part time, at an elementary school with special education kids and at our family business office as the office goddess (self titled). 

Family: I am married to a great, supportive husband, who has been through all of my drug addiction and my wieght issues and who works out with me every step of the way.. (however, tri talk tends to bother him when i do it nonstop) and a cat named boe boe who should probably get off her lazy butt and do a tri herself

current training: my first tri being on Nov. 30 in bonelli park... the distances are 1/2 mile swim, 14 mile bike, and 4.5 mile run...... so i can swim the distance using a sort of doggy paddle/breast stroke thing in 30-45 minutes (water fears and improper swimming issues mixed with no money for lessons).... i can ride my distance and then some on the riverbed.. the longest ive gone was 18 miles and im at the distance in about 1 hours time... and the run... oh god the run... well... number 1 im walking it... i can walk at 5.5 miles per hour so im gonna stick to walking.... so the curent training i do is swim at the beach in my wetsuit (for practice and to quell fears) a few times a week and i need to get back in the pool for the other water issues, and i bike usually 2 times a week as that is sorta (if you had to pick one) my strongest area) and i walk at a fast pace 3 to 4 times a week...

any sort of questions or any advice i sure will welcome....

JenniferSealed

2008-09-29 11:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Gang!

Jennifer contacted me for some help! Always GREAT to bring some new blood in and also helps solidify what you have all learned. So WELCOME Jennifer! There is a lot of information in this thread as you will see. We have a GREAT bunch of women in the group and Felipe and I just to throw some spice in!

So go ahead and feel free to ask your questions so that everyone can help you!

Rich

2008-09-29 11:31 PM
in reply to: #1702719

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
katzchen55 - 2008-09-29 7:59 AM

Well...I did it.  I biked my first century on Saturday. 103 miles to be precise.  That was the hardest ride I have ever done.  It wasn't exactly flat either - rolling hills most of the way, but a nasty climb at mile 70 and a shorter version of the nasty climb at mile 85.  My back was cramping and my butt is a little bruised, but otherwise, I made it through pretty well!  It will be a while before I attempt that little feat again, but it's nice to know that I'm just stubborn enough to do it.

So...what is everyone else up to?

GOOD SHOW, Katz!

Wow.....another 9 miles and you would reach the Ironman distance for the bike ride! Wooooo Hoooooo! Ironman Katz! I can see it now!

Rich
2008-09-29 11:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Caru!

You asked about tapering for Ironman Florida! First, be ready to get real antzy! You have been training and training hard for months. Now you are asking your body to slow and rest! This is difficult because you think ......I haven't done enough.....or I need to get one more long run or swim or ride in! Remember that what you have been building is an engine! An engine that can go the distance at consistent pace. With that said, the tapering is used to rest the body so that you are fully rested, your fuel gauge is topped off at full, and you are at your best.

For an IM distance, I will be using a three week period to taper!

Two weeks out:
Monday - 1 Hr Swim
Tuesday - 1 Hr Bike; 25 Min Run
Wednesday 1 Hr Swim; 40 Min Run
Thursday 1 Hr 15 Min Run
Friday - 1 Hr. Swim
Saturday - 2 Hr Bike; 25 Min Run
Sunday - 1 Hr. 30 Min Bike

Race Week
Monday: 1 Hr Swim; 30 Min Run
Tuesday: 1 Hr Bike
Wednesday - 1 Hr Swim; 30 Min run
Thursday - Travel Day
Friday - Easy Bike Ride - (Ride the Run Course)
Saturday - 30 Min Swim; 45 Min Bike; 25 Min Run
Sunday - Race Day

How does that sound. I think it is doable! Throw in a sports massage somewhere during the 2 week out and a possible light / stretching massage one week out!

Hope this helps!

Rich
2008-09-30 12:02 AM
in reply to: #1676669

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
cmbcwb3 - 2008-09-16 8:20 AM

Healed patella tendon/sciatic nerve injury.  Now have arthritis behind the tendon as a result.  I would say it is 85 to 90% better than back in February and the ortho doc says that is right on target.

I run 2-3x week usually just 2 miles.  Last year I had worked up to 6, but when I saw the doc in July she advised that I take my time working up to bigger distances.

Let's say I'm going to keep to 2-4 miles through the fall/winter. What's the best use of that time?  Should I be trying speed sprints? Or do I really have to work up to bigger distances to improve?

Without seeing your ortho's recommendation, I would have said work up to the longer distance. Your ortho knows of what he/she speaks! So think about the 10% rule. With the injury, I would keep the current distance until your doctor says you have been HEALED!!!! (Can I hear an AMEN from everyone?.....AMEN!!!!)

After you are healed, I would run the 2 to 3x per week for 2 miles at a Zone 1 and 2 ....NO MORE for the first week. Then during the 2nd week on your third run, add 10%. Keep that routine going and repeat. So about every fifth run, add 10% distance....stay inside the Zone 1 and Zone 2. When you have reached 5 miles, keep that at a steady pace at Zone 1 and Zone 2. On your fifth or sixth run at that distance, warm up for about 30 minutes and then do 30 second strides. Repeat strides 4 times with 2 minute warm up pace. Continue the rest of your run at Zone 1 (Easy!)

It will seem real slow, but you will be building an engine. We can add sprints later.

Hope this helps!

Rich

2008-09-30 12:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Gang!

I just re-read Jennifer's story.....She has a compelling story and we can be her triathlon support team! Her husband is supportive which is GREAT! Like everyone else in the group, I'm looking forward to working with you!

Ohhhh and by the way.....My wife tolerates my triathlon addiction.....but, she finally did agree to move my large collection of medals from behind the office door to a place over my desk in the home office. Seeeeee Jennifer! There is hope!

Rich
2008-09-30 2:48 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

That is love, Rich...I still have my husband's trophies in the garage...I'm not sure they will ever make it into the house.

Welcome Jennifer!  So glad you're on board.  For me, training for triathlons and marathons has been a journey.  I have discovered that I am so much more capable of doing things than I thought.  My body is truly an amazing engine.  Not only that, I feel like I think clearer, am less stressed, and frankly...I look better than I did 20 years ago!  Like with anything, it's one day at a time...some training days are fantastic others stink and some are non-existent.  Starting out, my goals were simple...have fun and finish with a smile.  That is still my overall mindset because once it becomes "work", it's time to change.  Swimming by far has been my most challenging discipline.  I get it done, but I'm super slow.  Riding is becoming more and more fun now that I feel more comfortable on the bike, but running is my favorite.  I have seen the most improvement with it.  I've been training consistently now for 2 years.  In this time, I've completed several sprint triathlons, a couple of marathons and half marathons along with 5k and 10k sprinkled in...I will be competing in my first Half Ironman next weekend!  I've lost about 20 lbs and can actually see muscles in my arms and legs!  This sport does become addicting!  I'm so glad you have your husband to workout with.  Having a support system is so important.  Keep up the great work.  It will all come together over time...As Rich says...slow and steady wins the race...lead with your heart...the swim gets you to the bike, the bike gets you to the run and the run gets you across the finish line!

Happy Training All!

Angela 

is key.   

2008-09-30 2:52 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Jennifer...I just went to your log.  The one piece of advice I can give you is to log everything you do!  Seeing your workouts is very helpful.  It holds you accountable for your training.  I love all the graphs and calendars too.  I find myself comparing my training distances from month to month.  It helps me train "smart".

Angela

2008-09-30 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami

GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAAAAYYYY TOOO LONG NO SEE!!!!

First of all!! WELCOME JENN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is super exciting to ahve another member of the super gang!!! Rich is our master...and we just follow his advice...with all things in life, not jsut tri's!! i'm really proud of you and inspired to see that you are getting into the sport, which shows character! so Im excited to see how far you will go.  I would encourage you to maybe read the first posts of all of us and see our goals...and now see how far we have come...its really amazing...whenever im down or dont feel the tri bug...i read some of they gang's blogs and I am just sooo inpired and amazed that I wanna get back out there again.

As Felipe must have told you(Jennife, Felipe is my brother and he is also a member of the Rich team.), i've been training hard and trying to keep my head above water with life,and work and ancillary stuff going on . Training for an Ironman, is no joke...i feel like my life has been engulfed in triathlon IM land... which is fun and itneresting!!!!

So, this Sunday we did our first 5K with teh Blind atheletes Felipe and I are training...it is AMAZING to see these two girls run..they have such an amazing posture you wouldnt know they are blind, except when you see their guide dog waiting next to a tree!The race went very well, guiding WAS SOOO HARD!!!! holes and bumps and people and little boys stopping, but Sarah, my athlete and friend says im getting better i smile!

THey live amazing lives, they have the best attitude and  now, my athelete(Sarah) wants to jump in the water this week...she is really inspired to start doing triathlons..so my goal afte rcompleting IM, is to do a sprint triathlon with her!!!

OK ANG!!! HOLY SMOKES.. YOU ARE GONNA SPANK YOUR FIRST half!!!!!!!!!!! GOSH I WISH I COULD BE THERE TO CHEER YOU ON!!! I am just in AWE of everyone's improvement, Cris and katz! like AMAZING ON THE BIKE, you girls would KICK my behind any day!!!!!

Rich, thank you for the tapering advice...I am feeling strong..after the race Sunday(5K) I did a 6:15 hr ride and felt really great, strong winds a lot of rain, but i kept the speed steady...I did nutrition very well, cliff bar bite every 2 hrs and a accelerade gel every 45 minutes... also a bit of gatorade here and there and waaatterrr lotttss..Im ready...4 weeks and 3 days to go. I know Ill be thinking about all of you guys when I do my ride and marathon, I'll remember all of our talks, about riding ans seeing a snake, or about our fear of swimming and T1 tips and everything!!!

THank you guys!!! i have a long way to go still, but its right around the corner!!!!! yey!!!

love you all!!! 

2008-09-30 8:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
KAT!!! i forgot to contratulate you on your first century....man...staring at your bike computer and seeing the  100 is priceles..i will always remember my first 100 , after 4 storms during hte ride and all by myself...i did the 100... you couldnt take that smile off my face for weekS!!! so enjoy the moment!

2008-09-30 3:50 PM

you guys are pretty awesome.... if i ever get my home computer to like this website.. ill be able to access it at home too.. instead of just at work (lucky i work for the family business).... for now i keep track of my workouts on microsoft works in a calendar program and i write the activity, distance, avg speed, cals burnt, total time and how i feel... soon ill do a food journal too... because food is such a stumbling block for me... but today (so far) ive succeeded.... instead of french fries i came to work and ate my sandwich, salad, soybeans and tangerines...

im not so scared of this triathlon right now... more excited.... more at peace with myself i guess

2008-09-30 3:51 PM

oh and rich!!!  verna (mixie) said you may be doing a ride at bonelli on sunday???? can my hubby and i or just me (depending on his schedule) come?
2008-10-01 12:48 AM
in reply to: #1707075

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
jenntrijenn - 2008-09-30 3:51 PM

oh and rich!!!  verna (mixie) said you may be doing a ride at bonelli on sunday???? can my hubby and i or just me (depending on his schedule) come?

Haven't set anything up yet for Sunday, but we can meet up this Sunday and definitely bring the hubby, friends, family........the more the merrier!

Let me know what time works for you! I just need to be done by 12:00 Noon!
2008-10-01 12:52 AM
in reply to: #1707938

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Cyclingmaniac - 2008-10-01 12:48 AM

jenntrijenn - 2008-09-30 3:51 PM

Haven't set anything up yet for Sunday, but we can meet up this Sunday and definitely bring the hubby, friends, family........the more the merrier!

Let me know what time works for you! I just need to be done by 12:00 Noon!

Hey Jenn!

Aaaahhhh.....Sunday might be a little crowded on the course. The Steamboat Tri/Oly is on that date.....how about Sunday, Oct 19th? (I'm doing the Long Beach Half Marathon on 10/12).

Rich
2008-10-23 8:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
  • guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 9 days to go!!!1

any suggestions to battle this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbQsNjuhwVg&feature=related

2008-10-23 8:45 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

My suggestion:  STOP WATCHING VIDEOS!!!!  That made me anxious and I'm not even doing IM FL!!

Caru, you are going to do great!  You've been training all summer for this.  It's a mental game now...You CAN do it!  I'm so excited for you... 

2008-10-23 9:28 AM

User image

Regular
Sharpen those elbows Caro.
2008-10-24 1:48 AM
in reply to: #1760984

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Caru:

Serious suggestion here which was provided by one of my tri coaches:

Think about it, you are not going to make up or loose a huge amount of time on the swim........sooooooo hang back for a minute.........and then go once you have an idea of how everyone has grouped themselves after trashing everyone for the first 200 to 300 yards. You will have a clear picture of where the open water is located and/or find people you can draft off of!

Check with your coaches and see what they say about that approach if you're freakin out!

Rich
2008-10-24 1:49 AM
in reply to: #1761026

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
yoblondie - 2008-10-23 8:45 AM

My suggestion:  STOP WATCHING VIDEOS!!!!  That made me anxious and I'm not even doing IM FL!!

Caru, you are going to do great!  You've been training all summer for this.  It's a mental game now...You CAN do it!  I'm so excited for you... 

This is a good suggestion!!! How ya doing kiddo!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46