General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildflower Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wildflower Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake San Antonio, California
United States
Tri-California
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 05m 47s
Overall Rank = 788/1475
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 48/118
Pre-race routine:

Up early with my wife and friends at a house we rented for the weekend in Paso Robles. Had some toast with almond butter, fruit and some coffee. By the way, this almond butter is awesome, www.JustinsNutButter.com. We bought it at the expo on Friday from the guy who makes it with his partner in Boulder. We all headed off to the lake at around 6:30 to make sure we were in the park in time and warmed up for the long walk down "the hill" before our start times. My start time was at 9:55 so I had just the right amount of time to prep, rack, pee, eat, etc. My wife and friends had a relay team together, but didn't go off until 11:00. Good national anthem by the Cal Poly tri team dude!
Swim
  • 28m 32s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was pretty happy with the swim and improved a bit on last years time. I tried to tell myself to get closer to the front of the start, but still lagged back 3 or 4 rows. Still it worked out pretty good for me. I actually even drafted a guy for a few hundred yards at one point. That was a pretty fun feeling since I haven't done that before. My energy was pretty good around the buoy so I started pushing harder and tried to pick off a few pink caps on the way in. Very fun swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 41s
Comments:

I got a little caught up trying to zip up the back pocket of my tri top, where I was storing my tube, co2, etc. Not a big deal though. I purposely went a touch slower in transition this year in order to bring my HR down a bit before the climb up Lynch Hill. I felt it was important to be as calm as possible rather than rushing through, and I'm glad I did. I was much better prepared for the climb and it went by pretty quickly.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe change to a seat mounted bag for my extra tube and stuff?
Bike
  • 1h 30m 45s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.43 mile/hr
Comments:

Even though I really wanted to push hard on the ride this year, I knew that I had to save my legs for the tough run ahead. I chose to not turn on my bike computer and did not wear my HR monitor or watch. I wanted to go out on feel and not get all caught up on speed, cadence, pace, etc. As a result, I really enoyed the ride, though know I could have gone harder, but I was satisfied in the end. I stayed in the saddle on all the up hills, except for the last few cranks over the top. Felt smooth and efficient. On the downhills, I was OK, but a little conservative as usual. On the flats, (yeah right, what flats) I kept a steady pace without really hammering. I'm looking forward to improved bike times this year in the rest of my upcoming races.
Transition 2
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

I was out of my bike shoes and into running shoes very quickly but then spent a bunch of time looking for my race belt, hat and shades. Turns out somebody took mine, so I ran without a race number, but fortunately had a backup pair of sunglasses and running cap. That wasted time seemed like forever at the time but was probably only :30 seconds or so in reality. I had to laugh about it though.
Run
  • 1h 00m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

It was a tough run for me and I knew it would be. The lack of run training because of my knee problems over the winter, really slowed me down. Not that it was painful, because my knee is better and felt great, but my leg strength and cardio were lacking. It was a hot day out there, and I couldn't keep my HR down so ended up walking a bit several times, and stopped at all the aid stations to drink. I at least charged the last hill before going down Lynch Hill since last year that was the only one I walked some on. That part felt great and gave me some feeling of accomplishment on the run. Instead of improving over my previous time, which I wasn't happy with either, I ended up losing a couple more minutes.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough bike and run training time for me coming in this year.

Event comments:

I had such a good time at Wildflower last year that I couldn't wait to come back. It was very cool that my wife and friends came up with me and we all had a great weekend. I think it's a great race event, in a perfect place, at just the right time of year. The event staff & volunteers are awesome.
Oh, and whoever it was that accidentally grabbed my (lucky) race belt, (favorite) hat and (expensive) sunglasses at T2 returned them to my spot after the race. Nice.

Last updated: 2006-12-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:32 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/118
Overall: 696/1475
Performance: Good
Suit: Fullsuit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:30:45 | 24.85 miles | 16.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/118
Overall: 873/1475
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:49
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:00:00 | 06.21 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/118
Overall: 1341/1475
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-15 3:35 PM

User image

Huntington Beach, California
Subject: Wildflower Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildflower Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed