http://www.piranha-sports.com
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 06m 45s
Overall Rank = 275/425
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 50/62
Pre-race routine:

Up @ 4 am, shower and drive to race. Ate 1 yogurt, 2 bananas, hydrated with water. At packet pickup find out the swim was cancelled (sewage spill in the lake). Adjusted strategy to one that will allow me to finish without injury. While setting up in transition area ate 1/2 power bar. Immediately before race ate 1 GU gel with water.
Event warmup:

10 minutes stretching, 1/4 mile light jogging around park grounds.
Run
  • 45m 29s
  • 8 kms
  • 05m 41s  min/km
Comments:

My goal was to simply run this segment slow, conserving as much energy as possible and keep heart rate low.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

The distance from T1 to the bike mount was pretty long. I chose not to attach my shoes to the bike, but to put them on in T1. Took a big swig of accelerade from my transition bottle and I was off.
Bike
  • 2h 55m 52s
  • 55.5 miles
  • 18.93 mile/hr
Comments:

Tried to stay in a low heart rate zone, favoring a lower gear with a higher cadence. Did much of the race in my smaller chain ring. Had some issues with a noisy clicking in my bottom bracket, had Tri-speed mechanic inspect the bottom bracket and crank assembly around mile 15. Had to also stop once due to over-hydration. Nutrition - consumed 48 0z accelerade, 2 oz Hammer Gel, 1.5 power bars, and approx 16 oz gatorade over the course of the 3 hour ride.
What would you do differently?:

A more regimented nutrition schedule. I found myself eating when I felt like it, and had a few periods where I felt like I was running down. I could have probably avoided that by eating more calories earlier on the bike segment.
Transition 2
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

Had some problems here. From the dismount point to the rack I had to walk, did not have the energy to really run much. Then my race number ripped off my number belt and I fooled around trying to re-attach it for longer than I should have. Otherwise, bike shoes off/running shoes on went well, strapped on my fuel belt and I was off to the run.
Run
  • 2h 20m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Goal was to run at all times but allow a brief walk at every water stop (they had them every mile). Though I went slow (note my 'bistering' 10:42 pace!) I was pleased that I was able to stick to the goal of not walking. Plenty of others walked. First lap went fairly well, I was under a 10 min mile pace. Second lap I slowed considerably and it became a survival effort. My hamstrings were toast! But I can say that I never considered stopping and walking and I felt that I finished strong. I consumed about 30 oz Accelerade and 4 Gu gel packs during the run, plus alternated water/gatorade at the aid stations along the way. Had some minor stomach cramping issues and temporarily went to a water-only regiment around miles 3-5.
Post race
Warm down:

Immediately drank 32 0z of Endurox R4, walked around for a while, found a hot shower facility at the campground, grabbed a box lunch and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall aerobic endurance.

Event comments:

Piranha sports puts on a good race. Volunteer support was good. Police support on the roads was very good. Plenty of aid stations and supplies. I saw no problems. The cancellation of the swim was totally out of the control of the RD so I have no complaints.

My goal for the 1/2 IM triathlon was to finish under 6 hours. I estimated my swim time for the 1.2 mile swim to be about 30 minutes or less. By replacing the swim with a 5 mile run, this added approx 15 minutes to my overall time, so I feel pretty confident that I would have finished well under 6 hours in a 1/2 IM triathlon in which there was a swim portion.

Another goal of this race was to gain experience in a long-course triathlon and to actually execute my nutritional strategy I've been practicing during training. Overall, this went well.

Last updated: 2004-09-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:45:29 | 08 kms | 05m 41s  min/km
Age Group: 0/62
Overall: 371/425
Performance: Good
Course: Flat course on local roads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 02:02
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
02:55:52 | 55.5 miles | 18.93 mile/hr
Overall: 278/425
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly flat course across C&D Canal and back. Roads in relatively good shape. Lots of flats. Crossing the canal on the bridge was pretty awesome.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:17
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:20:07 | 13.1 miles | 10m 42s  min/mile
Overall: 235/425
Performance: Good
Course: Two laps of a 6.5 mile loop, out to C&D tow path, along the canal, and back. Mostly sunny, and getting pretty hot. The tow path portion is gravel (fairly large stones), sunny, and dusty. Only one hill on the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-09-13 12:38 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: Delaware Diamondman 1/2 IM

2004-09-13 3:42 PM
in reply to: #60857

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
Subject: RE: Delaware Diamondman 1/2 IM
Nice Job, and we too adapt! Bummer about the sewage spill.

Having done a half iron...I totally understand the statement "hamstrings were toast". And bravo for not walking...I succumbed to a walk/run style about half way through the run.

Oh, and great bike speed. I could only wish to go that fast for 56 miles...
2004-09-14 9:36 AM
in reply to: #60965

User image

Expert
MD
Thanks! Though I didn't think my bike speed was very fast - I felt like I was in last place the whole ride. I was by myself quite a bit, especially second half of the race. At one point I had to look behind me just to make sure SOMEBODY was behind me.

When did you do a 1/2 IM? Was it this year?
2004-09-14 12:16 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Nice job, Eric!! I've never heard of a 1/2IM du. Sounds harder to me than a standard 1/2IM. Anything that makes me run an extra 8kms on top of my 13.1 is pretty much torture!! So props to you.

Good bike time, btw!!

Dana
2004-09-14 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX

Bummer about the swim.  I know that I would have been very dissappointed if that had happened at my race.

Otherwise, congrats on a great race and sticking to your plan.

2004-09-14 1:31 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Those are great times for such a long race. Congratulations!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Delaware Diamondman 1/2 IM Rss Feed