United States
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 04m 38s
Overall Rank = 1008/2300
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 84/121
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5 am, stopped at BP for coffee (the guy gave it to me for free!), had a energy bar for breakfast.... drove to the city. Damon and Nikita stayed home-Nikita had little sickies last couple of days, so we didn't want to make him get up early and all that. Plus, it was a bit chilly in the am, but was supposed to get nice and 70 (key word being "suppposed").
Event warmup:

3 easy jogs (about 1 mile total) around the park...to warm up and to make sure my shin was going to do ok.
Run
  • 1h 04m 38s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was good... I was worried about my shin, but it did great! I wore the calf sleeve, and I think that greatly helped. I ached a couple of times during the run, but was short-lived and not significant. I was able to run comfortably and push myself.

I did not have my Polar with me...I think my little magician stashed the watch somewhere-I remember letting him play with it yesterday (big mistake) and couldn't find it since. It worked out ok, though, I just used my watch for run-walk intervals and gauged my pace by how i felt.

Second half of the run we had CRAZY head wind from the lake the WHOLE time! I pushed through it and maintained the pace, I think. I think they also tricked us a bit.... I kept looking for mile 5 marker and thought I missed it, as I was already about 4-5 minutes into the last mile, or so I thought.... when mile 5 marker shows up!! I was floored that I misjudged my pace that much and that I still had a whole mile to go LOL.... however, in about 5-6 min, I see mile 6 marker (and I know I ain't that fast!!)..sneaks! I was very, very happy to be almost done and just sprinted to the chute with the biggest grin...
Most of the run, I did 3-1 and 4-1. The pace I ended up with (10:25) is my PR and I'm pretty happy with it....
What would you do differently?:

Have my beloved Polar with me...
Post race
Warm down:

Changed into flip flops, had a beer from one of the sponsors and a frozen lemonade from another. The flip flop thing and the frozen lemonade didn't work out too good as the time went on, as the temps never warmed up and it was 48 degrees and super windy and all around chilly...

I stuck around for the raffle, but only through the first half hour of it..I was a walking popsicle after that. They did have some really nice give-aways!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to train to become faster...

Event comments:

Good race. The volunteers didn't know much-I asked several of them before the race about the course maps and restrooms on the course and they had no clue... other than that, the drink stations were there (and so were the restrooms hehe)..

Last updated: 2007-05-20 12:00 AM
Running
01:04:38 | 06.21 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 84/121
Overall: 1008/2300
Performance: Good
Course: Beautiful lakefront Chicago... love that course! The only exception today was serious cold wind brrrrr!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes