United States
57F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 121/160
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 11/13
Pre-race routine:

After a difficult night including a 12:00 ER trip I went to sleep about 1:00 woke up at 5 grabbed a cup of coffee a glass of water and 2 PBJ’s and out the door for the 1.5 hour drive. I arrived in time to pick up my race packet and get set up. (don't eat so much)
Event warmup:

No warm up just walked around a bit and fretted over the 74 degree water I also was checking out bikes I could not find any other Fuji’s and noticed than about 80% had some form of race wheels tho I did see one mountain bike and one beach cruiser style.
Swim
  • 11m 17s
  • 650 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Despite how I felt about this swim I must say it was a good swim I surpassed my goal.
What would you do differently?:

Work on open water breathing
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Out of transition and onto the bike went well I felt like it was going to be a good ride I passed 2 people on the way to the dam road but then found that I could not reach and hold the speed I wanted. I was running 19.2 and fluctuating from 17 to 20. I was not breathing hard nor did my legs feel fatigued I just could not seem to add more speed. I was passed by a lot of people. After the second turn around I did fade with speed dropping all the way to 12 on a slight incline

I don't know but need to find out
Bike
  • 42m 10s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.50 mile/hr
Comments:

I guess the pace was hard I did better on trainning rides but could not do it here.

This is an area I need to fix
Transition 2
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Good transition

learn to jump dismount
Run
  • 26m 35s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt a bit tired but as I took off in a short choppy step run I realized I can do this. I noticed that it was down hill on the start so it must be uphill at the end I passed a few and was passed by a few people but not many. I had very little bad self talk and decided after 1 mile I could run with out stopping and did so except for about 200 feet with a cup of water. I saw Dave near a turn around and he said your catching me I replied yea but not today I knew he was too far ahead but I did seem to be gaining. After the turn around the up hill never happened I guess I was wrong or it just was not so bad with ½ mile to go I heard people closing in on me and decided they better want it real bad and sped up to hold them off.

it was my best TRI run to date but still need to pick up the pace
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around drank my recovery drink and ate a hot dog

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the bike portion

Event comments:

I have the AG results now and man I got spanked lol I knew this was going to be a fast race and it was I am still satisfied with my overall performance.

Last updated: 2007-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:17 | 650 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/13
Overall: 0/160
Performance: Good
I did not warm up for the swim I just got in with 3 minuets to go before the start and got acclimated to it. It did not feel as cold as I was afraid of. I started near the front and far to the left and never got in rhythm I got kicked and hit a lot including one hit to the nose that did hurt but I did my share of kicking and hitting too several of my thoughts were damm I am not comfortable, wow these people are fast, and why am I only breathing off the right side? I also felt like my legs were sinking. It the exit I checked my watch 10:46 and a bunch of people ahead of me the official time is 11:17 as I walked up the bank. I did notice at the start some yellow caps started with us white caps.
Suit: I don't have one
Course: Point to point with one turn to shore
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:10 | 13 miles | 18.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/13
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: mostly flat along a dam one good hill but you get to gain speed down hill before comming back up. And a slight incline near the end.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:35 | 03 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/13
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back with sever switch backs
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-20 4:35 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Subject: Four States Triathlon

2007-05-20 5:22 PM
in reply to: #808706

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: RE: Four States Triathlon

Great race man!  I went through your race logs from last year, and you've made incredible improvement.  First off, I hope your father is ok.  That must be tough to be at the ER and then race a few hours later on minimal sleep.

Your swim time looks great.  I hope to one day swim like that.

I wouldn't be too stressed out about the bike.  You just finished a fast swim, so you didn't have everything in the tank like you would in a training practice.  That's a good average anways.

Looks like a PR in the run!  Congrats.

As far as transtions go, for my last race I had my best ever after not wearing socks, getting those elastic shoelaces, and learning the flying dismount.  You can learn the flying dismount in a matter of minutes.  Along with not wearing socks, you can probably save a full minute in your transitions.

Overall you had a great race.  Looking forward to Jefferson!

2007-05-20 5:34 PM

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Four States Triathlon
great job Clifford!  Clint is right, you have PR'd in every event.  you have gotten significantly faster in every race you have run.  look back at your race reports, you are doing something right.  way to go, keep it up and set some new PR's at Jefferson. 
2007-05-20 6:14 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Four States Triathlon Rss Feed