United States
Colorado Colfax Marathon
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 37m 42s
Overall Rank = 1282/1696
Age Group = F30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 125/184
Pre-race routine:

This race started at 6 a.m. which means I was awake by 4 a.m. - aargh! I am NOT a morning person!! Luckily I live only about 10 minutes from the start because going to bed at 11 p.m. and getting up that early is never a good idea! I had some oatmeal, a cup of hot tea, drank a large glass of water then headed out. 15 minutes before the start I shot a Gu.
Event warmup:

Yeah I don't warm up. However, they were ridiculously short of portapotties given that there were 1700 people registered. I think there were two different sets, each with TWO!!! The lines were long, there was really no secluded place to go for it in public (it was at City Park which is pretty open) so several hundred people were just staying in line even after the race started. We all thought - it's chip timed so we're cool right?? Suddenly a race volunteer yelled to the line, "there's 30 portapotties being set up 300 yds that way" and a bunch of us took off running! People were jumping in them as quickly as they could pull them off the truck!! So my race to the newly delivered portapotties after the gun??? Yeah - that was my warm up :)
Run
  • 2h 37m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I just moved to Denver a week and a half ago so I had no delusions of being acclimated. My plan was to do the Penguin's run/walk and do a 4 min run with 1 min walk break and hope to do around 2:45 overall. I was able to maintain this ratio most of the race, except for a few times when I only walked 30 seconds. I really fell into a nice rhythm after mile 2 and didn't feel as out of breath as I did starting which seems to be how I feel running up here.

My body felt good but I had a twinge in my knee at mile 8 that had me worried given my IT band issues that had me cancel the St Louis half, but it went away and I felt great. I kept waiting for agonizing pain to set in somewhere, but it never did!! The last half mile was really the only hard part where I was really having to push to keep moving up that incline to the finish - I don't know what my HR was but I was panting that's for sure!!

My other grumble is my damn bladder!! I only had about 16 oz before I left the house, and I went before I started, but yet still at mile 2 I was starting to feel the urge. I wonder how fast I could be at long distances without horrible potty lines!! I lost almost 5 minutes at my first pee stop due to a long line but luckily as the race went on, there were more frequent portapottie locations with no line at all so I could just duck in and out.

With about 4 miles to go, I realized that I was way ahead of where I thought I would be and I knew I was looking at a PR unless something went horribly wrong. I still kept with my run/walk ratio and it served me well. I found myself passing a lot of people the last three miles who had run past me early on and I still felt good. Looking at my splits, I was pretty consistent the last half and interestingly enough, my last mile was my 2nd fastest!! All in all, I'm thrilled with my performance and thought it was a pretty fun race.

Mile splits
1= 11:55, 2=11:27, 3=11:56, 4=12:02, 5=17:05 (damn pee line!), 6=10:39 (ran the whole mile to make up time), 7=11:46, 8=11:55, 9=11:40, 10=11:48, 11=11:44, 12=11:45, 13=11:05

I should mention that the volunteers at the hydration stations we so enthusiastic and though there weren't a ton of spectators along the course, the ones who were there were quite enthusiastic as well.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really - I hadn't trained as consistently as I would have liked the prior two weeks, but I'll consider it an extended taper :) I don't think I drank too much by any means, I think I need to accept that my bladder gets nervous during races and I'm going to lose time. Maybe that will spur me to get faster :)
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed a few Panera bagels (yum!) then headed to the beer cart for my free Heineken!! I stretched a little and iced my knee when I got home.

Event comments:

I thought this would be horribly boring - the idea of a point to point race that was just along one road - but I actually liked it. It was interesting seeing the diversity of the communities along Colfax Avenue (there were even the occasional homeless looking sort watching the race with a smile on their face, cheering the runners) and the spirit of the volunteers along the way was quite infectious. The weather was perfect, though as the sun came up I was glad I was finishing my race because there's hardly any shade along the way ... I was guessing the full marathoners were really having a hot, bright last half of their race. Other than the lack of portapotties at the half- start, it seemed pretty well organized with enough hydration stops along the way. I also thought the medal was pretty which is always a plus in my book :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-05-13 12:00 AM
Running
02:37:42 | 13.1 miles | 12m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 125/184
Overall: 1282/1696
Performance: Good
Course: Start at City Park halfway along the marathon course, and then headed to Colfax Ave. - stayed on Colfax over the interstate, into Lakewood then detoured for about a mile and a half around Sloan's Lake. After picking up Colfax again we just headed for the mountains, including the gradual climb and the obvious hill in Golden. The final half mile was a climb up to the Colorado Mills Mall to finish which I thought was truly evil!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-20 5:40 PM

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR
Subject: Colorado Colfax Half Marathon

2007-05-21 6:04 PM
in reply to: #808763

User image

Veteran
Denver
Subject: RE: Colorado Colfax Half Marathon

Great job on the race!! That's fanatastic that you PRed give that that course is all uphill.  And that's without considering that you just moved across the country and aren't acclimated to the altitude yet.

Sorry I didn't see you along the course - I was probably in line at the porta-potties (it seems like there were issues wit them in a lot of places).

Oh and my financee (Mary) said to tell you that she hopes you realized she was joking when you came by to pick up your race packet, and that she's not really the crazy jealous type! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Colorado Colfax Half Marathon Rss Feed