HFP Racing
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 43s
Overall Rank = 114/248
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 18/27
Pre-race routine:

It was cold (50 degrees). Met my sister and brother who were doing the co-ed duathlon at 6 AM to load up. I had some coffee, ate a bagel with peanut butter and a banana. Once we got to the race I picked up my timing chip and went to the bike tech van to have them adjust my rear derailer. After that I just headed to transition to setup and get ready.
Event warmup:

I attended the pre race prayer with my brother and sister and then headed to the pool. I wanted to get used to the water. It was about 67 degrees. I swam a bit then waited for the start.
Swim
  • 11m 10s
  • 766 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was awesome. I thought the water was going to be much colder. For some reason I started in the front of my age group wave. At the start of the swim I was at the front of the pack but after the second turn I knew that was not going to last. I started to ease up a bit so I didn't drown. The drafting was nice and the wetsuit was totally awesome. I'm going to be finding out how much they want for the wetsuit before I ship it back.
What would you do differently?:

Just be a bit more prepared. Train more doing longer workouts.
Transition 1
  • 03m 26s
Comments:

T1 had a long run from the swim. It was about 1/4 mile. Once I got there I found my rack and ripped the wetsuit off. It was fine until I got to the leg with the timing chip. It got stuck on it and I had to take a bit of time getting it off. Other than that everything was smooth. I rolled my socks in the morning with helped a ton getting them on over my wet feet. I strapped my shoes on and off I went.

Learn to get out of the wetsuit faster. I would also like to learn the flying bike mount thing but I think I need tri shoes for that one.
Bike
  • 54m 37s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 20.48 mile/hr
Comments:

For the Cincinnati area the bike was very flat. I felt good on the bike the whole time. About 2 miles into the bike my aero bottle popped out of the holder and I caught it. I tried to fumble with it for a while as I rode then I decided it was a lost cause. I "donated" it to some living along the course. I hope they don't mind.

The bike took us out to Lunken airport and around the running loop they have. On the back side I saw my little brother who was doing the duathlon relay riding sitting straight up with his hands on his head. That gave me a bit of motivation so I started yelling to him and put the hammer down. By the time I passed him I was going 27. I yelled to him to get his a$$ in gear and he yelled back some little brotherish profanities, which were expected, so I just kept going.

After the turn around there was a 4-way intersection we had to cross. When I came to it our light was red. There was a police officer on the opposite side of the intersection blocking traffic and a volunteer on my side staring at me instead of the suv waiting to go. I saw the suv so I pointed it out the volunteer and they started waving their hands to stop them from going but it was too late. They took off and I had to lock my brakes up and swerve to miss them. I hope to never encounter a situation like that again.

After that the bike was very uneventful. At the end I did manage to pop my feet out of my shoes and get ready for the dismount.

Train on more hills. Those things hate me.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

This was very fast for me. I ran it threw the bike on the rack and slapped my runners on and off I went.

Not much. I didn't waste any time doing anything.
Run
  • 26m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

So I took off from T2 kind of fast for me. I knew I was going a bit faster than I wanted but it felt ok. That was until about 1/4 mile into the run. My calves started to cramp up. I had to stop to stretch them for a second. After that I was pretty sure I was going to lose my breakfast all over the side of the run. My stomach was a mess until I came to the first aid station. I walked and drank 1 full glass of water. After that everything was fine. I saw Joe and his dad running then saw my sister after the turnaround. The last mile felt good and was the fastest of the three. All in all for not running since St. Anthony 1 month ago I think the run went well. My knee Dr. would be proud :)

Just be in better shape. I need to start running in the pool.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched a bit. Got some coffee, water, subway and ice for the knee. I sat around and chatted with the family for a bit then we all took off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My knee is still an issue but I'm hoping that won't be the case in about 2 months.

Event comments:

The race was for a good cause and the course was nice. I will definitely be doing this one again next year.

Last updated: 2007-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:10 | 766 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 0/248
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: 2 lap H style course in the world's larges recirculating pool.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:54:37 | 18.64 miles | 20.48 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Flat and fast.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:51 | 03.11 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-05-21 8:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Independence, KY
Subject: Tri for Joe at Coney Island

2007-05-21 3:06 PM
in reply to: #809408

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: Tri for Joe at Coney Island

Good job.

By the time I hit the aid station, they were out of water.  I did manage to get some at the turn around, but still pretty frustrating.

We had pretty similar biking times and swim times.  The run is where I keep having the issues.  You did great there.

2007-05-22 2:03 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Awesome race!  You're fast!

Glad to hear there was no SUV mishap... 

2007-05-23 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Awesome race! Looks like you are healing nicely :-) Very fast for coming off knee surgery!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri for Joe at Coney Island Rss Feed