United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 24m 48s
Overall Rank = 48/191
Age Group = 33
Age Group Rank = 11/32
Pre-race routine:

Oatmeal and peanut butter toast for breakfast, along with two cups of coffee to give me life. Bottle of Gatorade on the one hour plus drive to the event.
Event warmup:

Stretched before I left home and did nothing more than walk bike to transition area after registering, I was a little pressed for time.
Swim
  • 37m 8s
  • 1500 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started towards the back as this was my first half-ironman and didn't want to get run over. Swam first 300-400 meters sidestroke before I found some good open water where I could comfortably freestyle. Did a good job of sighting the buoys and swam straight, wow, does that save time. Was stunned when I made the turnaround by 19 minutes.....I was hoping for about 24-25.
What would you do differently?:

Stay as close to the buoy as possible to cut off length and avoid zig-zaggers.
Transition 1
  • 04m 45s
Comments:

Very slow here....I think I was so happy about my swim time I forget I had two more legs yet and as a result took it to easy. One gel and 12 ounces Powerbar endurance drink.

Too much time spent drying off and my area wasn't as organized as it should have been, need to think ahead better next time.
Bike
  • 2h 53m 48s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Lot of turns on the course but I had done it before so I knew what to expect. Felt like I paced myself really well as I had a little left in the tank for the up and down at the end. Like Cindy I didn't care for the lose gravel on a short stretch of the course, at least there was a small grove to ride in. One Powergel every hour and a few ounces of Powerbar drink.....oh, and a couple of Vivarin......don't know if it's good but my body is used to a lot of caffeine, mainly from coffee.

Even though it didn't happen, know how to fix a flat tire in a jiffy if it should happen. Sorry Deejster, that is a tough break. Saw a guy, probably about 30-45 minutes into the ride with the same problem.
Transition 2
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

This was pretty slow too considering I already had my running shoes on while on the bike and all I had to do was drop the helmet and go. Made sure I got some fluids in me though as I don't think I took in enough on the bike. One more gel too.

Take in more fluids and the gel at the tail end of bike to save a little time.......although I had to hit the head too.
Run
  • 1h 46m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Couple of very tough hills including one about a half-mile from the start (2-loops so you get it twice), that had to be the worst hill i've ever had to run up, although at least I trained on a fair amount of hills. Felt a little dizzy and overheated about mile 9 so I walked for about 30 seconds after taking in much fluid at the next aid station. I was hoping for a nine minute/mile pace so I was very happy.

Train on even more hills
Post race
Warm down:

Laid down in transition area because I felt lousy for about 10-15 minutes after race. Helped a guy jump his truck, girlfriend had fell asleep with the radio on, nice people. Went and got a little food (not much to choose from) and cheered on a few people. Left to catch the 4th quarter of the Badger game with a buddy of mine and had a couple too many Leinie's, probably not the best idea but I had to celebrate a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably still need to cut out a couple of those nights with the boys and lose a little extra body fat but other than that, just train more.....definitely need to become a more efficient swimmer.

Event comments:

I liked the race because I was happy with my time but, like many others, was dissappointed in the overall picture. Spread for afterwards was lacking, volunteers that seemed hesitant in many cases, and, I didn't realize it until someone else brought it up, but no porta-johns on the run course? Thank goodness I didn't need one, i'm sure I would have picked up on this fact had I, but i'm sure many suffered due to that.

Last updated: 2004-09-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:08 | 1500 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 0/191
Performance: Good
Suit: QR full
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:45
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:53:48 | 56 miles | 19.33 mile/hr
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:58
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:46:52 | 13.1 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-09-13 6:07 PM

90 miles south of Titletown, USA
Subject: Lake Geneva Triathlon

2004-09-13 6:12 PM
in reply to: #61061

90 miles south of Titletown, USA
Subject: RE: Lake Geneva Triathlon
Oops, after re-reading that I realized I made a number of spelling errors, sorry.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Geneva Triathlon Rss Feed