General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flint Hills Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-21 3:27 PM

User image

Manhattan, Kansas
Subject: Flint Hills Triathlon
Hey all you BT'ers planning on doing the Flint Hills Tri...I thought I would give everyone an FYI. Tuttle Creek lake level has been high because of all the recent rain, and they have been waiting for approval to release water from the Corps of Engineers. Friday they received the ok and they began releasing near full amounts, which has consequently flooded the tuttle puddle river pond area. Right now about 2/3 of the transition area is under water. They won't say when they will stop releasing water, but they estimate 6-10 days...which means it could be down before race day. I talked with Clay Myers-Bowman on Friday (before they began releasing the water) and he said, if the lake is flooded, the Triathlon may have to become a duathlon.

I just thought I would let everyone know. Also, the bike course for the sprint race will be different this year, from last year.

2007-05-22 8:57 AM
in reply to: #810380

User image

Expert
Kansas
Subject: RE: Flint Hills Triathlon

thanks Bill... Keep us upated

purpleapple - 2007-05-21 3:27 PM Hey all you BT'ers planning on doing the Flint Hills Tri...I thought I would give everyone an FYI. Tuttle Creek lake level has been high because of all the recent rain, and they have been waiting for approval to release water from the Corps of Engineers. Friday they received the ok and they began releasing near full amounts, which has consequently flooded the tuttle puddle river pond area. Right now about 2/3 of the transition area is under water. They won't say when they will stop releasing water, but they estimate 6-10 days...which means it could be down before race day. I talked with Clay Myers-Bowman on Friday (before they began releasing the water) and he said, if the lake is flooded, the Triathlon may have to become a duathlon. I just thought I would let everyone know. Also, the bike course for the sprint race will be different this year, from last year.

2007-05-22 9:05 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Any idea when there might be an official decision?
2007-05-22 3:18 PM

User image

Manhattan, Kansas
I'm not sure when a decision will be made, but I know with the race being a regional qualifier, it is pretty important and they'll do everything possible to make the tri happen. They are still letting 17,000 CFS of water as of today, and the Corps of Engineers website projects staying at that level for the next 3 days.

Water temp as of today is 67.
2007-05-24 4:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Nebraska

Thanks for the update!  The flooding puts me back on the fence for this one, even though it is such a great race. 

I had been planning on doing this race all winter, then a cub scout camp out with my son was scheduled and that took priority.  Now that has been recently cancelled, and despite my lack of biking or swimming for six months, I thought, what the hey, I can fake it for a sprint and do an Oly later in the season.  Long story short - I'm having trouble committing.  Anyone wanna tell me to just suck it up and register?  I think I need a kick in the bahookie (my kids' word). 

Question - water temp at 67 degrees.  That sounds warmer than last year.  Isn't it? 

Edited by KMac40 2007-05-24 4:09 AM
2007-05-25 8:17 AM

User image

Manhattan, Kansas
I spoke with Clay Myers-Bowman this morning and he said the "Tri" is on! Although the Corps of Engineers has dropped the outflow from Tuttle Creek Lake (due to more rain), he said they plan on releasing near max again on Tuesday, for 10 days. Therefore, the Flint Hills Tri crew have plans to move the swim to a different portion of Tuttle Puddle. This will mean the trainsition area will move and the course will be slightly adapted.

Hope to see everyone there...including you KMAC.

2007-05-25 7:15 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA

More details here: http://teamwms.com/bluehills/viewtopic.php?p=18#18

... forward to racing with you guys!  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flint Hills Triathlon Rss Feed