None
Event warmup:

Walked / stretched, and a quick swim.
Swim
  • 10m 27s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my best swim. I am not a very good swimmer but I finished in the middle of the pack. I think with a winter of training I can greatly improve my swim time. I've noticed that I don't have as good of form in a race as I do in training. In the future with more practice hopefully my form will hold better and I will swim faster.
What would you do differently?:

I think I will make sure I start in front of people, there are a lot of beginners that start at the front and just get in the way. I did a good job of avoiding them, but it would be nice to be in front of them from the beginning.
Transition 1
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

This is an area where I can take off at least a minute without getting in better shape. I can definitely run faster through the transition zone. I have to remember to do that. I can get my wetsuit off pretty fast. The liner in my shoe was sliding around and bunching. So I had to put my shoes on 3 times each. That hurt my time. I also need a sleeveless Bicycle jersey that I can wear under my wetsuit. So I don't have to change at T1. I did fine putting on my helmet.

I have to learn to change my shoes faster, or get triathlon shoes (a Christmas gift perhaps). I also would like a sleevless bicycle jersey.
Bike
  • 38m 12s
  • 20 kms
  • 31.41 km/hr
Comments:

I did pretty good. My bicycle computer measured the course at 21km instead of 20km. So my AVG mph is 20.5 not 19.5. This would break the 20mph barrier that I had been so close to.

I need to push myself a little harder on the bicycle. I have a tendency to go to easy. I would like to get aerobars, and a waterbottle that goes in between them. I would also like pedals and shoes, right now I am using my running shoes. I think this would help my time.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

I like my performance at T2. I run with the bike. Take my helmet and gloves off on the way to the rack. I pick up my running had and go.

I also bought a racing belt. Now I don't have to worry about holes in my nice racing clothes. So the only thing I would do differently is grab my racing belt on my way out of the transtion area.
Run
  • 26m 22s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 16s  min/km
Comments:

I did okay for the run. I started to cramp at the beginning, I stopped and stretched and I was fine. I ran harder for the last mile, and I felt I gave a good effort.

This is an area that I would like to improve on. My goal is to get my mile pace down under 7:00 min/mile next year. I have never trained to run distance. I think this winter, I will look into programs for increasing my speed. If I can run at the end in 22:00 by next year in this race I will be extremely happy.
Post race
Event comments:

Took over 1.5 hours to get preliminary results posted. All I wanted to know was my time. I don't care if someone who wasn't registered came in front of me and I am in 10 place instead of 9th.

Last updated: 2004-08-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:27 | 500 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/25
Overall: 135/301
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless Wetsuit
Course: Out to a bouy and back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:10
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:38:12 | 20 kms | 31.41 km/hr
Age Group: 12/25
Overall: 73/301
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:22 | 05 kms | 05m 16s  min/km
Age Group: 15/25
Overall: 82/301
Performance: Average
Course: Rolling hills. Shady in general, with long stretches of running in the sun. Good aid stations. Out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-09-14 10:10 AM

Subject: Stony Creek Sprint Triathlon

2004-09-14 11:59 AM
in reply to: #61322

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Subject: RE: Stony Creek Sprint Triathlon
Good times, brian (or is it bryan??)

69/301? You are definitely sitting in the FOPs!! Congrats. How many tris do you have under your belt??

Dana
2004-09-15 1:19 PM
in reply to: #61388

Subject: RE: Stony Creek Sprint Triathlon
This was my 3rd sprint tri. It was actually the 3rd one I did in 3 weeks. I am definitly hooked. It is Bryan. Thanks for your post. It made my day.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stony Creek Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed