General Discussion Race Reports! » Dave Scott's TexasMan Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dave Scott's TexasMan Half Ironman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log
Dallas, Texas
United States
USAT
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 27m 2s
Overall Rank = 66/305
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 2/24
Pre-race routine:

Before I begin, let me warn you that this is a little long. I am writing it as much for myself to remember the race and what happened as to relate it to all you.

It all begins the day before. Aside from watching and listening to a lot of college football, I met Dave Scott at the race check-in. Yes, that Dave Scott. I bought a logo cap from the race, and he signed the underside of the bill, so I got that going for me, which is nice. I asked him what he would do in case of a hot race, which I expected, and his reply was to be careful not to drink too much too soon. More on that to follow.

The rest of the day was riding the bike route, and a quick 20 min/10 min brick at the course. Pasta dinner, and to bed by 9:45PM.

Race morning, I was up at 4:30 and flip on Sportscenter to find that Arkansas let Texas squeak out a win. Darnit. Breakfast is a bowl of Total cereal, Clif Bar, Red Bull and coffee. I had mixed my Gatorade Endurance bottles (3 of 'em) for the race the previous night. I loaded up into the car and off I went.

Event warmup:

I arrive at the race site at about 5:30 for the 7:00 AM race start. My warmup was a half-mile run to burn off some excess energy and a little bit of swimming. Mixed in among all that was drinking a few cups of water, a Clif Shot, and peeing a couple of times, and one last poop. Yes!

Uh-oh, the swim is about to begin, and I have to pee again. Looks like I might have just a touch too much hydration, but it's better to err in that direction, right? Instead of risking the time crunch in the water, I run off to the trees and relieve myself there. Even though I refuse to pee in the pool, I don't have a philosophical problem with peeing in the lake.
Swim
  • 40m 12s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

I have finally figured out how to avoid the chaos of the open water swim start. Remember it is a clockwise loop. I started way on the left, and immediately swam off line to the left. Therefore, none of the faster swimmers behind me had to swim over me! Anyways, I got myself back on course, and headed straight for the first turn buoy.

Over the course of the swim, I found that breathing to my right kept me swimming straight much more so that breathing left. I found this odd, because in the pool when I practice "blind swimming" I can make it the entire 25 meters breathing left, and usually hit the lane ropes breathing right. Whatever, I just went with it. I found a line very close to the marker buoys. In fact I swam to right of the buoys as often as to the left.

I was determined to swim better than in my Olympic race two months ago. Two key changes occurred: 1) I changed my pull to be with a bent elbow and pulling across my body. In otherwords, my forearm is moslty horizontal during the pull, as opposed to vertical as it had been. I believe this to be the right technique. 2) I made my mind to not be completely at leisure during the swim. I knew I could make the distance, so I made sure I had a good pace.

Overall, my time of 40:12 was only 1:24 slower than my Olympic swim split. That was a huge plus. I was hoping for something under 45:00, and my watch split was actuall 39:07. Awesome.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing at all. Except maybe not drink quite as much before the race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

I did not try to hurry through the transitions. Look, it's a Half Ironman, so 30 seconds off your T1 and T2 times are not going to matter that much. My thought as I jogged to my bike was "Look at all these bikes! This is awesome!" I was pretty pumped about my swim split. I found my spot, put on my bike jersey, stocked it with the gels and bananas for the ride. I had decided the night before to wear a bike jersey on the bike (to hold the gels and the bananas) and my tri-shirt for the run. Put on my socks and shoes and walked to the line. Had about half a bottle of water before leaving transition.

Nothing. I was also lucky to be on the second rack from the bike in and bike out, so my walk with the bike was extremely short.
Bike
  • 2h 43m 54s
  • 57.4 miles
  • 21.01 mile/hr
Comments:

Took off onto the bike course and as usual started passing a few folks. I settled into what felt like a nice easy tempo, but my speed was up near 22 MPH and my target was 20 MPH. I decided to go ahead and go with it, because I did not feel like I was over exerting myself. I held that pace for the first 8 - 10 miles without any problems. On the last "climb" of the first leg, I could have been called for drafting and/or blocking, because a girl passed me on the outside, and in keeping my cadence high, I went right past her up the hill. It was not an ego thing, I was just trying to climb the hill by keeping my cadence high as I always do. Luckily, no race official was near, and I wonder if they might have been a little more lenient on the hills. On the way back down that hill, I passed someone, and as I was coasting down the hill (at 30+ MPH) a guy re-overtook me on the inside... Not sure if he got flagged or not.

So the first loop went by pretty uneventfully. My plan for hydration and fueling was to drink plenty of water and Gatorade Endurance. I took a water bottle at each hand up, and drank G-E at the rate of about 7.5 oz every 15 minutes. I also had either a banana or a Clif Shot every 15 minutes. After about two hours of this, I began to fill a little fullness, so I skipped one of the Clif Shots. Overall, I think that was enough fuel, but maybe a little bit too much fluids.

As I went past the end of the first loop, I hit my lap on my watch and it read 1:19:31 - which forecasted into a 2:40 bike split. Ahead of my target, but I felt great. Except I began to feel like I had to pee. I bypassed a port-a-john at the water hand up at mile 34 or so, because I thought maybe I could make it back to transition. At mile 40, I began to lose speed because the overriding urge to pee was stealing my focus. I honestly tried to see if I could go while riding, but I just couldn't. Finally, at mile 45, I pulled over and took 2 minutes, yes 2 minutes, to relieve myself. Funny, I stopped just in front of a bridge. After I got back on the bike, I saw a guy relieving himself on the other side of the bridge. What can I say, I'm a trend-setter!

So the last 12 miles were at 21.5 - 23 MPH because I felt a LOT better. The lesson is that when your body is telling you that you have to go pee, go pee! I traded places for about the 20th time with a girl in a silver Zoot tri-suit and sped back into transition.

Three observations from the bike leg: 1) I remarked at the distance that I have traveled since my first tri in March. The bike leg there was 14 miles, and at mile 14 of my Half, my average speed was about 3.5 MPH faster than my average speed for that entire race. 2) Cornering is important, even in triathlon races! This bike leg featured six turnarounds and six hard turns. I passed people on almost every turn by going boldy into it and having lots of speed coming out. That also saved me some effort by already being nearer my target speed out of the turn. 3) I forgot what the third observation was.

I noticed that it was a clear, sunny day, and that it was getting pretty hot. I made the tactical decision to keep my bike pace well above my target, because I knew that I was going to lose some time on the run. Looking back, I still think this was the right thing to do, but in my Ironman race in April I have to have the discipline to stick to the plan, because you cannot fake a marathon.
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Again, I took it easy on T2. There was no need to hurry to the run. I had taken my shoes (and socks) off in the last 1/4 mile of the bike. (I put my socks on the end of my aerobars... I have STI shifters...) Sat down, got my running gear and my visor and began walking towards the run out. I had three Clif Shots set aside for the run, and as I began running, two of them dropped out of my back pocket. I decided to let them go, because I was already feeling full, and I figured that one shot and Gatorade would suffice for the run.

Maybe I should bring my little pouch from my Fuel Belt for gels on the run. My shirt seems to be unable to hold them while running. Everthing else was ok.
Run
  • 1h 58m 20s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Here is where it got really, really tough. I knew that it was hot, but I did not realize how hot until about the third mile. Knowing that I left transition at 3:28 into the race, and that I was capable of a 1:45 Half Marathon, I was thinking maybe I could threaten 5:10 total. I was wrong. My plan was to start at 8 minute miles, keep it there for the first six miles and then drop it down if I could.

Here's what actually happened. The first mile was 7:45. Maybe a little fast, so I backed off. The second mile, now completely out in the sun, was 8:23. OK, I'm at my average, now hold it. I knew I needed to make sure I was well hydrated, so I walked after each aid station to dring one cup of water and one cup of Gatorade. I took my last gel at mile 2. (Inside, I was pleased that would be my last gel for quite a while...) Mile 3 was in 8:30. Mile 4 was 8:40, and Mile 5 was 9:05. In Mile 6, I had that ole familiar feeling from the bike, so I stopped on the side of the road and peed. This time, it only took a minute. Funny thing this time was that I stopped about 400 yards in front of a port-a-john, but at this point I could not imagine stepping inside of one of those things. Yeesh. Now my friend in the silver Zoot suit was crouched on the side of the road about a half mile after I had stopped. I asked her if she was ok, and she embarrassingly said "Yea!" Only then did I realize that she was relieving herself as well! Look, it's a freaking Half-Ironman, and the normal rules of common decency do not apply. So mile 6 was 9:35 and that included 1 minute of not moving. Mile 7, which featured the secret hill was 9:35, and that was all forward movement. At this point, I am thinking that it is absolutely as hot as I have ever felt in my life ever. Later on, I talked to a guy who did the bike leg of a relay, and he rode his bike out on the dam during the run and the thermometer on his bike computer read 100F! Sweet Fancy Moses. Now I decided that maybe I had some steam left in me, because honestly I felt like my RPE was still low for the first half of the run. My plan at that point was to try to pick it up for Mile 8, rest on Mile 9, hard on Mile 10 and rest Mile 11 before turning on the afterburners for the last two.

Here's what actually happened. I ran Mile 8 in 8:36 with a fast cadence. I noticed that my right hamstring was starting to complain a little. After 8 miles, I began rationalizing. Come on, it's a 5.1 mile run from here. 5 miles is nothing. How many times have you done the 5 mile loop at home with dead legs? Do it again today! Mile 9, I relaxed and ran at 9:10. But then I realized that the relaxed pace from Mile 9 was really all that I had left in the tank. Uh-oh. At this point, my right and left hammy's are barking. Mile 10 (the hard one, remember?) was in 9:24. I had decided to walk one solid minute at the end of mile 10, but it was right before the downhill off the dam, so I ran that, and then I ran 200 yards to the aid station. OK, turns out I walked about 2.5 minutes after Mile 10. Now, it's just a stinking 5K! Anyone can run a 5K! But in truth at this point I feel that I am very near death. This was one of the few times in recent memory that I did not enjoy running. So my new plan is to just get through Mile 11, which I did in 10:30, and run the last 2.1 home. Holy smokes did it hurt, but I began to run as quickly as I possibly could. I made Mile 12 in 9:22, and the last Mile, from 12.1 - 13.1 was in 9:01. Did I mention that you got two peeks at the finish line before you finished because we did the picnic loop and the lake loop again? Yeah, that was cruelty on top of brutality. Those last two miles, although they were 1:00/mile slower than my usual pace, were all guts and willpower. As I was finishing, both hamstrings and my left quad were slightly cramping. What a tough day!

Now, coming around the final turn, I wiped the grimace off my face and remembered to smile for the camera! Woo-hoo! I finished! And, I beat my time goal!

It's hard to plan for such extreme heat. I think that I would not have tried to pick up the pace as much on Mile 8. Other than that, I did the best that I could.
Post race
Warm down:

As I was gutting out those last two miles, I kept thinking that the quicker I could move my feet, the quicker I could get back into the lake. When I finished, a volunteer poured some icy water on the back of my neck (thankyouthankyouthankyou). I downed some Gatorade and water, then made my way over to the lake to just cool off if I could. I stayed there for about 15 minutes, and visited with the other finishers, placed ice bags on my head, etc. At this point in my life, I noticed that a) everything I did made some part of me cramp and b) it all required that I utter a low, "Unhnh!".

After that, it was a Jamba Juice, a few slices of pizza, call my wife to let her know I was still alive, and wait around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

THE HEAT. I think I ran a great race from beginning to end. If the heat had not been there, I really feel that I could have ran a 1:45 or so Half Marathon. As it was, I ran 1:58, and that was the fastest time among Clydesdales.

Event comments:

Comments on my race: My target, if everything went well, and I had good weather, was 5:15. My attainable goal was 5:30. I finished in 5:27, so despite the brutality of the run, I still beat my goal. That's awesome.

Comments on the race in general: Great setup from beginning to end. I talked to Dave Scott again after the race about the heat, and he basically said that if you are not acclimated to it (which I think I was as much as possible, living in South Texas) you are out of luck because it just takes so long to get your core body temp down. But it was neat to meet Dave Scott, the race was organized very well. Overall, I would do this one again, as long as they put some clouds on order for next year!

Comments on my season: I am pleased that I met all my goals. This is my first year of triathlons, and I made it from just a fairly fit guy to Half-Ironman in good time in eight months. Dedicate yourself to the program, make it a priority and it can happen for you!

Last updated: 2004-09-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:12 | 1931 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/24
Overall: 0/305
Performance: Good
Suit: Pearl Izumi Tri Shorts
Course: Course was a clockwise triangle. The first leg was pretty short, and the second was long across the lake and the finishing leg, while a little shorter, was into the sun. There was little to no wind that early in the morning, so the water was relatively calm, with the exception of having to swim through a couple of wakes created by early morning fishermen.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:22
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:43:54 | 57.4 miles | 21.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/24
Wind: Little
Course: The course was two pairs of out-and-backs which were each done twice. Basically, the course was a big upside down "U" and you did it twice. The western leg of the U had a few rolling hills. There was one moderate climb and one big climb (for a poor South Texan). On the eastern leg, it is basically downhill one way and uphill on the way back. I am guessing at the precise length based on dividing the time by the average speed shown on the race results. However, I was pretty sure it was longer than 56 miles because my bike computer is usually a little short on distances, and it showed 56.3 after the race.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:58:20 | 13.1 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/24
Performance: Below average
Course: The run went out a little 1/4 mile loop by the lake, then did another big loop around a picnic circle before heading out of the park. Out of the park, it was up onto a dam, where the run from mile 3 to mile 10 took place. It was flat and straight as far as the eye could see! A special treat at the end of the dam was that we got to run off the dam and then back up a hill that would make Welshy proud to the turnaround. You could not know that was coming because you could not drive the run course beforehand as the dam was gated off.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-09-14 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Subject: Dave Scott's TexasMan Half Ironman

2004-09-14 11:32 AM
in reply to: #61362

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: Dave Scott's TexasMan Half Ironman

Fantastic job Phil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Congrats!!!!!!!!!  

Now to figure out how to DOUBLE those distances!!!

Gary

2004-09-14 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Awesome!! Really, awesome. And even though I'm from California, I know nothing of 'Valley Speak'. I really mean that I am in awe. What a great race!! Solid, solid times. (Good read, too!)

So impressed with you and looking forward to your IM AZ!!

D
2004-09-14 12:19 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Wow, Phil! That's really amazing. You should be beaming with pride for the next month or so. Can't wait for the IMAZ RR!
2004-09-14 12:36 PM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Sounds like you did everything right.  Congratulations!!!!!!
2004-09-14 12:38 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX

Look, Tom, even GaryellenDana have kind words for me!  Maybe they are not all evil lilke you say...

Seriously, thanks for the kind words.  I am currently looking forward to IMAZ, even though I just found out that my buddy from Lufkin is moving to Colorado so there is no chance we'll get to ride together...

2004-09-14 12:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Way to go!!! Great Job!!!!
2004-09-14 1:33 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Phil,

That was an incredible race. I will aspire to bike and run at the same pace someday. Congratulations on a killer race.

2004-09-14 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
TigerPhil,

*Really* enjoyed your race report. Lots of good tips and advice in there I plan to utilize in my own 1/2 IM efforts...

Congrats on an impressive race!

2004-09-14 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX

Did I use the word "really" too much?  Mrs. Luce (12th grade English) would have dinged me for that...

Wow, flashbacks to high school are always weird.  Where does the time go?

2004-09-14 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Oh, gads, I didn't notice that.
I wasn't playing on words with the "really" reference...didn't notice if you used the term a lot of not...just emphasizing that I really liked it....(think I'm the one reverting back to high school, alas).

You did a good job of taking us through step by step and I got a lot of good insight that I am definitely planning on utilizing.

And the whole peeing thing...can *SO* relate...my event Sunday I refused to stop and go...what dork I am...I suffered thru the swim, the bike *and* the run with a full bladder...then to make matters worse, once I finished...I DIDN'T HAVE TO GO!

2004-09-14 2:42 PM
in reply to: #61497

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX

OK, I am "relieved" to know that you approve of my grammar.  What with you being the big newspaper star and all.

It was fairly remarkable how much my performance picked up after peeing.  You don't realize how much it erodes when you are focusing on that instead of your race.

2004-09-14 2:50 PM
in reply to: #61502

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA

Gads, newspaper star? I've worked in every department in a newspaper EXCEPT the newsroom and there is, my friend, a reason for that!

And yes, I can see now how distracted I was..."Dammit, I have to pee...., but I don't want to stop. Maybe I should stop. What if I can't find a place to stop? What if I get poison oak...ewww, what if the portapotties are gross, what if I pee on my leg? what if I get performance anxiety...but I *really* have to pee....I really have to pee...what if I get off my bike and just start peeing?" (takes swig of water) "well, that was stupid, ya big dork, is that going to help you not have to pee?"

Meanwhile, cyclists are *flying* by me as I'm doing kegels trying to hold my pee.

Thank god it was only a sprint tri...

2004-09-14 4:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Wow, very interesting Tiger Phil - sounds like you had it well planned out and really knew what you wanted to accomplish - and YOU DID!!  

Too cool you got to meet Dave Scott - was he just hanging around talking to everyone? Did you sweat off his autograph??

Congratulations!!!

2004-09-14 5:35 PM
in reply to: #61594

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
I bought a race-logo'd cap and had him sign the underside of the bill.  I knew I would probably lose a poster, and this way, whenever I wear the cap, I can retell my story!
2004-09-14 7:10 PM
in reply to: #61424

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Tiger Phil - 2004-09-14 8:38 AM

Look, Tom, even GaryellenDana have kind words for me!  Maybe they are not all evil lilke you say...

Seriously, thanks for the kind words.  I am currently looking forward to IMAZ, even though I just found out that my buddy from Lufkin is moving to Colorado so there is no chance we'll get to ride together...

I HAVE NO IDEA HOW I HAVE BEEN LUMPED INTO THIS CROWD OF EVIL NEFARIOUS PANTY-WAISTED, PICKLE-SNIFFING, BUNNY-FLEECING, TRAINING-WHEEL USERS!! I am myself. I am cheerful and kind. I am lovable and encouraging.

Dana (sorry for shouting)

2004-09-14 10:45 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX
Great job, Phil.  I had some friends do this race - glad mine was in California. 
2004-09-22 9:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PR
What about the girl in the silver zoot suit?  Did you find her after the race?
2004-09-22 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Yeah, we shot the breeze for a little while after the race.  I apologized for, ahem, interuppting her.  We both thought it was a pretty funny episode.
2004-09-27 9:42 AM
in reply to: #65020

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Great race and report Phil ....can you fill me in on who DaveScott is? I should probably know but I am drwing a blank
2004-09-27 4:42 PM

User image

Ontario
Outstanding race report! Congratulations on an excellent performance. I especially liked the Caddyshack reference "...so I got that going for me, which is nice." Heh.

Keep up the great work and good luck on IMAZ!

2004-09-28 12:46 PM
in reply to: #66807

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX

6-time Ironman World Champion...

http://www.davescottinc.com/

2004-10-13 3:26 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

Phil,

I've been reading through some old race reports for half IM's to pick up some tips.   I still marvel at how well you did in your first half IM.  What's most amazing to me is how you finished so strong on the run after cooking the bike leg.  What kind of training program did you use to get ready for your race?

2004-10-18 5:01 PM
in reply to: #72065

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX

Karl, My training year was initially set up from reading The Triathlete's Training Bible.  However, the basic goal was just to put the miles and the time in.  I basically set my race calendar and tried to progress my training to points such that I would be comfortable with the races.  This continued until my Olympic race on 18-Jul.  By then, I had progressed to a 55 mile bike and a 13.5 mile run, and a brick that was 1.25 times the lengths of the race.  Following the Oly, and having already signed up for IMAZ, I had bought and read Training Plans for Multi-Sport Athletes, I decided to put the last several weeks of her plan for Half's to the test, and pretty much followed it leading up to my Half.  The plan called for a five hour bike ride, but I was only able to build up to a four hour ride.  I built to a 17 mile run and a 2400 meter swim, and called myself ready.

I have a spreadsheet that shows every workout, and I'd be happy to email it to you if you so desire...

Oh, and to me, that run was not strong at all.  I had been doing my long runs at 8 minute pace, so that run felt very slow.  But it was the heat that did me in.

Edited by Tiger Phil 2004-10-18 5:02 PM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dave Scott's TexasMan Half Ironman Rss Feed