United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 44s
Overall Rank = 138/1051
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 23/89
Pre-race routine:

Up at 6:00. Breakfast of banana, pb&j on plain bagel, glass of gatorade.
Drive to race.
Warm-up
Gu and some water just before start

Event warmup:

short jog
two quick strides

Run
  • 1h 45m 44s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Good race for me. I don't have a lot of race experience. Up until now, it's mostly been about "finishing." This time I had a stretch goal in mind and had psyched myself up to break 1:45 - more than 7 minutes faster than best 1/2 marathon.

I had forgot my HRM and watch, so needed to go by feel. I went way too fast in first 2 miles and backed off, to see what seemed like hoards of people pass me.

Miles 3 and 4 had thoughts of "its not my day," or "its just too hot to make my goal." The voice that said "lets see what I'm made of" won as I pushed on at an uncomfortable pace, but knowing this is what I needed to endure to make my goal.

Miles 4 through 9 I settled in and found my pace cruising along, keeping pace with a shortish woman, in her 50's (keeping up with the tall, leggy tatooed-lower-back 20-somethings just wasn't working), whom I learned was a 20-marathon veteran from Arizona. She laughed at me as I thanked every volunteer telling her I was building "race karma." She'd pull away, then I'd catch her and say "I'm still with you Arizona!" At mile 10, the clock showed a split of 1:20:00 just as I approached. I did the quick math and figured I was pretty close, just needed to knock out a sub-25 minute 5k - which is easier said than done after 10 miles of hot, humid running at that uncomfortable, bearly beneath LT pace. I was feeling good and pulled away from "Arizona."

At mile 11, there's this hill (yes even in Indiana), where you go up and then reach the top and round a corner to... another hill which climbs out of the shade of the St. Joseph river valley into a concrete, sun-soaked street with no spectators... UGH. I didn't fall apart, but the hills then oppressive heat was taking its toll. At the last water stop (mile 12), I walked for the first time, maybe 12 steps to make sure all of the gatorade made it in me, then took off again, hoping the brief rest would refuel me. I had nothing left, but probably labored through that last mile at a sub 9-minute pace.

I came up to ND's campus, Notre Dame Stadim and turned into the tunnel (where the fighting Irish take the field on fall Saturdays). Ran down the tunnel into the light to see my neighbor (on Sunburst race staff and IM finisher) congratulating me as I ran onto the field. Pushed through to the 50 yard line with fans in the stadium and hear my name anounced, looking up to see 01:45:51 on the clock just before crossing the pad and hearing "beep" as my chip crossed over.

Got my chip off, doned the finishers medal and meandered over to the refreshments. Minutes later "Arizona" congratulated me and said "Nice job, you beat me." No Arizona, you saved me.
What would you do differently?:

More sleep in the nights leading up to the race (vs. 5,6,7,7hr/nt). Remember watch and HRM -then again, maybe leave them behind again.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out on ND football field. Lots of walking and stretching. Drank water and ate 6-7 popsicles. It was so nice to be able just to hang out on the field. They kept the spectators in the stands (away from my popsicles) with the regular field security - whom NO ONE gets past.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor sleep and stressful workweek leading up to race. Nutrition maybe too.

I forgot HRM and watch. So maybe if I looked at my watch at mile 11, I'd notice that if I picked it up a bit, I'd break 1:45. Then, I'd probably also notice that I had been at threshold heartrate for 90 minutes straight and freaked out. Truthfully, there was nothing left in the tank and I don't think I could have shaved any more time off.

Event comments:

Really great small town race. Not many spectators but finishing in ND stadium was great. Nice to hang out with runners on the field.

Also got to be right at the finish line to "catch" my wife as she finished and PR'ed on her 4th full marathon (we started 90 minutes after 26.2'ers).

Last updated: 2007-05-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:45:44 | 13.1 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/89
Overall: 138/1051
Performance: Good
Uh, somehow remembered to put Glide on chest, but forgot HRM...
Course: Nice course. Good amount of shade. Awesome finish inside Notre Dame stadium.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-02 12:42 PM

User image

Expert
Michiana
Subject: Sunburst

2007-06-04 7:03 AM
in reply to: #826735

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Subject: RE: Sunburst
Sounds like a nicely-executed race -- the 1/2 Marathon is a fun distance. And the stadium finish had to be a highlight (even if it was Notre Dame).
2007-06-04 7:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
I must have been near you the whole race and had the same experiences (it was like I read my own report)... The hill at mile 11 killed me as well. Great race and congrats on the PR! Tough day in the heat!!!
2007-06-04 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Great race and fantasitc race report. Finishing on the ND feild and running out of the tunnel must have been an amazing feeling. Nice job pushing through and getting your goal. Outstanding job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sunburst Rss Feed