HRCA
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 6s
Overall Rank = 42/318
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/35
Pre-race routine:

Up at 05:15. Ate a Clif bar and had some water. Arrived at the race at about 06:00 and headed to set up my transition area.
Event warmup:

Jogged around a little but that was about it.
Swim
  • 10m 21s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started 2nd in the wave and then passed #1 after a few laps. Felt good and was swimming strong but about half way through felt like maybe I was going too fast and swallowing a little water (bad for later on). So I let #2 pass me. Ended up being a mistake as everyone slowed down and we were touching a lot of feet the rest of the way. We all came out of the water together but I think I should have just kept leading. Oh well. I think my actual swim time was about 10:00. Big improvement for me but still work to be done.
What would you do differently?:

Need to get a coach and get more efficient but I feel like I'm improving.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Dried off a little. A little trouble with my shirt. First time running with bike shoes on...

Big improvment over my first tri by over a minute. Practice...
Bike
  • 41m 41s
  • 12.7 miles
  • 18.28 mile/hr
Comments:

Not sure what to expect here. First tri with bike shoes and aerobar. I had ridden the course last week so I knew what to expect: where to push and where to conserve, etc. I knocked a few minutes off of that TT. Anywho, felt pretty good and relaxed, breathing was good. I was only passed by a few people, one of whom nearly made me vomit. Note to guys: when your tri suit is becoming see through in the ass, it's time to replace it. Got that pretty picture for about ten seconds after some guy passed me. Got a little stomch cramp/belching in the last 1/4 of the course. Made me worry. But I felt pretty efficient and really tried to open it up on the downhills.

It seems that the bike is where I'm losing the most time so I need to get this figured out. 18 mph is good for me but not as good as I need to be. I've been riding for almost a year now so maybe it's time to get some help.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Pretty quick here all in all.

Not much.
Run
  • 20m 50s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out and it just felt like my legs wanted to go. I think it was because I'm trying to ride with a higher cadence and maybe the two just correlated. Of course, 1/4 mile later I get a killer side stitch and have to stop for a few seconds. Thankfully, it went away and I did some deep breathing to keep it gone. First mile at 6:20. I think this was short. Mile 2 at 13:00. Felt strong. Started to get a little stomach discomfort at 2.5 miles but kept going. Tried to get one last guy ahead of me but couldn't do it.

Gotta figure out the nutrition thing. Had a similar episode in my first triathlon but today wasn't nearly as bad as that one.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Had some water, gatorade. Bananas and bagels would have been great. Ate a Clif bar after my stomach settled.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Some training time limitations.

Event comments:

HRCA is doing a good job with their tris. This is only their second one and they have the advantage of having an experienced triathlete organizing the races.

Second tri much better than my first. I was super happy with my time, having cut off 22 minutes from a similar distance sprint last summer.

Last updated: 2007-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:21 | 500 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/318
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool swim.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:41 | 12.7 miles | 18.28 mile/hr
Overall: 0/318
21:20 first lap
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops @ 6.35 miles each. Nice downhill out of transition, then pretty much uphill for the next 3 miles or so. Then long fast downhill to the transition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:50 | 03.1 miles | 06m 43s  min/mile
Overall: 8/318
6:20 first mile; 6:40 mile two
Course: Out and back with rolling hills. Possibly a little short too.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes