General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To race or not to race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-18 4:36 PM

, Alabama
Subject: To race or not to race
I just wanted objective opinions on this. I'm running the Miami Tropical Marathon on Feb. 1 (2 weeks from today), and am feeling good with my taper. Next Sunday, though, is a local sprint duathlon (2m run, 10m bike, 2m run) that I'm real familiar with. I REALLY like to compete and want to do both (I've been doing some crosstraining with biking as well, so I'm okay with that). Part of me thinks that it's kind of close to the big marathon, but the other part thinks, it's only a sprint distance and besides, a little sprinting before the race can help the old fast-twitch muscles. If I drink my Endurox after the duathlon and rest on Monday and only have small taper runs remaining, I should be okay? But, as I said, I REALLY like racing and would like 3rd party views.

Sharon

2004-01-18 5:55 PM
in reply to: #4180

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Subject: RE: To race or not to race
I say go for it.
2004-01-18 6:21 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
yeah, I would say go for it as well. Just don't race it all out. Consider it a training run.

2004-01-19 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
I don't know how you will be to resist, but you have to use it as a training run and not go all out. Your long runs were probably 2-3 hours and this should be less than 2 hours, so shouldn't be too taxing if you give a moderate effort.
2004-01-20 12:07 PM

, Alabama
Not going all out in a race is real tough, especially one that I've probably done 3 times last year. That's why your objective opinions are much appreciated.

Sharon
2004-01-20 8:03 PM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT
Running a marathon takes a lot of focus both mentally and physically. By trying to do both, you may not do well in either. If your focus is to just finish the marathon, then do both races. But if your trying to reach a time goal in the marathon, I say wait and do your duathalon next year.

Evelyn ;-)

2004-01-25 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I will just reiterate what most people have been responding- do both... but make sure to think of the duathlon as a training/practice.... if you have a heart rate monitor use it to limit your exertion level. If you don't have one- pick a buddy to talk to during the race [make friends], one that seems to be going at a very comfortable pace for you. if you know yourself too well- and you don't have a heart rate monitor and you know that you can't cruise in the back of the pack- i would say avoid the duathlon. Your marathon is your A race- the most important goal you've been training for- making the duathlon an all effort race + the marathon will be a good formula for injury. Good luck with the decision!
2004-01-25 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4859

, Alabama
Thanks for everyone's advice. The duathlon was this morning. I was REALLY reminding myself not to be too fast during the first run, I kept my bike computer on cadence so I wouldn't know my speed and stay in what felt like a comfortable gear for the bike, and the second run I was so cold that my legs just kind of did what they wanted until about 1/2 mile to the finish. I took a recovery drink and am doing some pretty light runs, one light bike and one light swim between now and the marathon Sunday.

Sharon
2004-01-25 6:26 PM
in reply to: #4875

User image

Central Louisiana
Congrats on the great race!
2004-01-25 7:17 PM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT
Congratulations. Good luck on your Marathon!!!
2004-01-25 7:37 PM
in reply to: #4917

, Alabama
Thanks! Felt great today. Starting to get a little last-minute jitters on the marathon. You know, did I train enough? Did I eat the right things? Will I bonk? Stuff like that.

Sharon

2004-01-25 7:47 PM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT
I know its hard but try to relax. It sounds like you've done your homework. Run your race the way you trained for it. Make sure you use a GU or some type of fuel every 45 minutes, drink whatever fluids you've decided on. Don't sweat the small stuff. And ENJOY the moment. The Marathon is the hardest thing I've done, but the most satisfactory of all my racing. I'm 52 and have only been at it for 7 years, but they are the best 7 years!
Good Luck
Evelyn
2004-01-26 3:49 AM
in reply to: #4920

, Alabama
Thanks evrunning.
Sharon
2004-01-26 12:15 PM
in reply to: #4929

Veteran
Rutland Ohio (South Eastern Ohio)
Depending on what your goals are for the marathon, there are pacing calculators on runnersworld.com. Alot of people say that the biggest mistake of most first time marathoners is not pacing correctly. I just ran my first one a few months ago and had that problem. I made up a pace bracelet with my target times for each mile on it and laminated it so my sweat couldn't mess up the ink. I forgot my bracelet in my car and rode to the race in a friends car (2 hr ride). I also put inspirational sayings on the bracelet to keep me motivated. I wasn't upset with my performance in the race, but if I would have had the bracelet I would have probably paced myself a little better and resulted in a better time. Don't try to open up your speed too much, regardless how you feel, before mile 5. Good luck

Edited by clightle 2004-01-26 12:15 PM
2004-01-26 12:34 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
What ever your decision, best wishes!
:-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To race or not to race Rss Feed