General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Greenville Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-04 8:39 AM

Subject: Greenville Triathlon
So compared to Clemson, how does this tri rate based on last years courses?

2007-06-05 2:49 PM
in reply to: #828176

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Subject: RE: Greenville Triathlon

well, it's a pool swim, so that's pretty different. The bike course is longer and pretty hilly, but no more so than Clemson. There is a longer climb in the Greenville race, but it's not as steep as the one on Cherry Road.

The run is a 2 loop course partially on pavement and partially up a trial that is essentially a gully. The trail is uphill pretty good, the rest of the course is more flattish than Clemson.

Hope that helps...

2007-08-02 7:32 AM

User image

Newberry
How does the swim work with 2 going off at a time? It seems like that will cause some run ins at the lane changes.

"The race begins with a 400 meter pool swim in the 50 meter Westside Aquatic Center facility. Athletes will begin two at a time, going off every 15 seconds and swim one way in each lane. At each wall athletes will go under the lane rope and into the next lane until a total of 8 lengths have been completed."
2007-08-02 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Last year I raced as a novice and it started one at the time every 10 seconds. Most of the traffic jams were at the lane changes.

The biggest problem is that people don't put accurate swim times down. Either they sandbag or they are overly optimistic. That causes the biggest amount of problems with folks swimming on top of each other. At one point in the race last year my lane was 3 people wide. It's usually fairly easy to pass if people stay to the right, but that was with folks going off 1 and at time. Don't know how it will work 2 at a time...

2007-08-03 8:32 AM

User image

Regular
Greenville, SC
The lanes are wide enough that it shouldn't be any problem. I'm going to go out pacing with whom ever I'm paired with to determine if I can get to the wall first. If so, I'll sprint the last 15 meters to the wall to the first turn. On the other hand, if they're faster, I'll just take the wall after them and fall into place at my pace.

I think if you swim your own pace, you'll be fine as long as you can get to the turns solo! That's my strategy, anyway! Good luck! See you there!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Greenville Triathlon Rss Feed