Total Body Fitness
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 14s
Overall Rank = 86/531
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/36
Pre-race routine:

Wandered around and talked to some people from the club I joined. Got some pointers on transitions.
Event warmup:

Stretched out a little and got into the lake and filled the wetsuit with water.
Swim
  • 19m
  • 879 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Being that this was my first open water swim, I was surprised how mentally bad I felt in the water. When I first stuck my head in the water I couldn't see but 3 feet in front of my face. I felt very claustrophobic and had a hard time for the first 1/3 of the course. As I got used to not being able to see, my swimming did improve. My goggles leaked a lot and I had to stop to empty them multiple times. It didn't help that I was wearing my contacts and I got worried about losing one of them... this didn't help mentally either.
What would you do differently?:

I definitely need to do more open water swimming. I think I am also going to switch from my swimming goggles to a larger aqua sphere type goggle.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Since I lost all my data on my watch I don't know exact times, but I think I was probably there for about 2 minutes.

I'm getting a tri bike on the 10th of july (my bonus) and I'll get tri shoes that can be dedicated to the bike. that should save me plenty of time. I used my road bike and shoes. It did take a little longer to put on my socks and that slowed me. I will train on the tri bike without socks and see how that works. No socks should save me a few seconds. This was my first tri so I'm going to put this as a below average transition because I know I can do better next time regardless.
Bike
  • 44m 54s
  • 16 miles
  • 21.38 mile/hr
Comments:

I need to get a tri bike....

Nothing different. I flew by probably more than 50+ bikers.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

My bike rack was close to the start of the run. I got off the bike and ran to my spot. Racked it up and took off my helmet. Shoes came off smoothly and I slipped on my running shoes. The yanks laces worked perfectly. I grabbed a bottle that I left in my running shoe, picked it up and I was off. (yes I had prepared a bottle specially for the run.) I forgot to take my garmin edge from my bike. I was planning on putting it in my tri top back pocket.. but I forgot. :(

Not much.. remember to grab my gps from my bike next time.
Run
  • 24m
  • 3 miles
  • 08m  min/mile
Comments:

I felt like crap for the first 1/2 mile. but after that I felt ok. Didn't push myself because i was following a guy in my age group. (I could see that he was in my age group by his marking on his calf) Anyway he had a good pace so I just followed him then with about 1/2 mi to go I passed him on a small hill and pushed a tiny bit to the finish. I ended up finishing about 17 seconds ahead of him. :) I felt kind of like a dick just following him, then passing near the end... but I guess that's the way it goes.

I have learned that I need to do a few bricks from now on. If I would have felt good/better right off the bike I probably could have improved my time by near 1 minute.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched out and drank plenty of fluids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm a newbie. Next time I'll be much faster.

Event comments:

I'm a newbie and this was my first tri so I don't have many comments on race evaluations.

Last updated: 2007-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:00 | 879 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/36
Overall: 0/531
Performance: Below average
Lost my Data from my watch when I tried to upload it. But I remember looking at my watch as I got out of the water. It was about 19 minutes.
Suit: xterra vector 2
Course: half square. Out to buoy and took a right to next buoy turned right.. then to finish on the beach
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:54 | 16 miles | 21.38 mile/hr
Performance: Good
173 avg hr
Wind: Little
Course: course was much more flat that I'm used to. I was flying by people and couldn't believe that nobody passed me. At one point after the turn around I got kind of annoyed. Some slower bikers were holding up traffic and I had to slow and coast behind cars for atleast a few minutes. I didn't want to pass the cars mainly because I wasn't sure if I'd get disqualified. I thought the race directors/marshals may have thought that passing cars was dangerous so I just sucked it up and waited for the cars to pass the slower bikers. ... Comments please.. should I have passed the cars?
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 94.
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:00 | 03 miles | 08m  min/mile
Course: dirt fire road packed moderately.. lots of rocks. I almost twisted my ankle a few times.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes