United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 21m 47s
Overall Rank = 56/236
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/24
Pre-race routine:

Didn't really have much of a routine. The race was at 4:30pm and every race I have entered before this has been in the morning. Tried to not lay around all day but also not wear myself out.
Event warmup:

Jogged around the parking lot a couple of times. Did not feel very good when jogging. Legs felt heavy and I felt tired.
Run
  • 21m 47s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Started near the front in the second or third row back. Wanted to get a good start and not have to weave in and around people. First time doing this and although my first mile about killed me I think it pushed me which was good. Splits: Mile 1- 6:30 Mile 2- 7:13 Mile 3- 7:08. This was as hard as I have ever ran or even thought I could run. After the first mile I tried to slow down some and although I did I still ran a very quick second mile. I was spent at the end. Very difficult with the heat off the asphalt and I didn't take any water at the water station which I passed twice. I could of used it but didn't want to slow down.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I went out hard and tried to maintain as best I could. Mentally I challenged myself to not look at my watch except for split times. I didn't use the lap counter so I never knew my overall time just the previous mile time and the current mile time.
Post race
Warm down:

Right after the finish I grabbed some water, took off the timing chip and went to look for my wife who was running her first 5K ever. Had water for her if she needed it but drank it while waiting for her. Eric, a friend who finished in 24:07 was with me and gave her some of his and I ran with her for about 100 yrds until she told me I was speeding her up so I went to the finish and took pictures of her coming into the finish and then as she finished. Her time was 31:52 which was excellent for her, her goal was under 32 min's. 5 of us ran this together and we all did extremely well and settled on dinner and beer afterwards to tell our war stories.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have done no speed training at all this year except for a couple of tempo runs in July. Maybe 3 total so next year I hope to get under 20 min's on a 5K especially since I have learned so much about training throughout this year. So I would say training would be the biggest factor. Plus this was my first 5K race ever except for my last triathlon last week which had a split time of 25:23. So evidently my swim and bike does cause me run time to be slower. :)

Event comments:

I didn't like the loops and I didn't like the asphalt/parking lot run. No scenery other than buildings and parked cars. The weather wasn't bad to be out in but there wasn't a cloud in the sky and the heat from the road was hot. My mouth was dry and water never tasted so good at the end.

Last updated: 2004-09-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:47 | 03.1 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/24
Overall: 55/236
Performance: Good
Course: TWO laps around the hospital parking lot, with each lap a little bit different. Each lap would have us go out and around one of the surrounding buildings in addition to the main circle around the hospital. All of this was parking lot/drive way type asphalt. The only real hill was at the finish line after the 3 mile mark. Couldn't see the timer clock since the course was circular and the finish was in the middle off the circle. I thought the course was 3 laps even during the race until I saw the 2 mile mark and realized it was only 2 laps since I knew where the finish was.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-09-20 12:10 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Dupont 5K

2004-09-20 9:11 AM
in reply to: #63942

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: RE: Dupont 5K
Jim, you just keep getting faster! Great race!
2004-09-20 9:58 AM
in reply to: #63942

User image

Expert
Iowa
Subject: RE: Dupont 5K
Great run and a great time. You'll love what will happen if you begin some speed training.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dupont 5K Rss Feed